Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 04:02 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,895 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are a family of 6 with animals and livestock. We are looking to rent (or buy) a large fixer upper farmhouse with ample room for kids and animals. Anything considered. Big camp, mobile home with outbuildings, old colonial.
We are interested in possibly renting for a couple of years (we would pay cash upfront with lease for the right deal) or buying cash or seller financing. We have A+ credit and references. Up to $1000 per month but less is better. Some acreage a must, agricultural area a plus. Location is more important than housing. Within 20-40 minute drive to Bangor preferred.
We are a small farm operation and want land to work - not to subdivide and develop.
Is something like this feasible?
Thanks for any info and replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 04:14 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,005 times
39) harmony UnFurnished * N/A * 1 Bath * $300/Mo. * $300 Security Deposit * Utilities Included * Available Yearly * Pets Allowed
3-4 bedroom home
It may take you some searching with livestock, here's one link RentsInMaine.com - Piscataquis-Somerset County Rentals - Belfast Maine (http://rentsinmaine.com/Piscataquis-Somerset.cfm?Start=21 - broken link) Perhaps craigslist or the Bangor Daily news classifieds.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the leads msina. We search all the mls, craigslist and papers but not with much results. I have seen it posted several times at this forum that sometimes land and or houses are possible to find through private parties.

We really don't need much as we are very simple and it has been our dream to move to Maine for sometime now.

We loved Downeast but the lack of work was a little discouraging. We have spent some time exploring about a 30 minute radius around Bangor and it seems to be a great possibility.

Farming is a full time gig but we work outside the home as well. My wife is a LNA and I am a carpenter.

We have the means and ability to renovate homes, reclaim old pastures, clear lots or whatever it takes.

Hope to hear from many of you out there who are already living the dream.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:16 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
We are doing chickens, goats, pigs, sheep; veggies, berries, and ginseng.

We are just starting. You can not do it here. We are!

Working forest land is a pain, but it is possible.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:58 PM

Maine is big enough for the both of us forest. We mostly raise sheep. We have a small flock (25+/-) of brood ewes. I raise (and butcher) a couple of hogs each year. I stopped raising meat chickens after I plucked and processed many hundreds. I do however like a couple of layers around the yard and a few turkeys for Thanksgiving and xmas. You can keep the goats
We have worked forest land before but are now hoping for some decent pasture.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:40 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
We do goats to help clear the forest underbrush. We milked goats during college. I have no desire to milk again.

We raised turkey last year, and we ended up eating them all by ourselves. No body wanted home grown turkey. Of course it could also be a factor that they were each between 38 and 40 pounds. LOL

We have four dozen layers, the demand for eggs is good.

We have been approached by folks looking for rabbit meat, chevron, mutton.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:10 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,005 times
I wanna live near you two.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:38 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We do goats to help clear the forest underbrush. We milked goats during college. I have no desire to milk again.

We raised turkey last year, and we ended up eating them all by ourselves. No body wanted home grown turkey. Of course it could also be a factor that they were each between 38 and 40 pounds. LOL

We have four dozen layers, the demand for eggs is good.

We have been approached by folks looking for rabbit meat, chevron, mutton.
forest, i can tell you firsthand,,,the demand for native turkeys (thanxgiving) is increasing, i just had a few stores ask me if i knew where to source native turkeys,, there are a few processors in the state (i believe you need to have an inspection stamp, by an inspector for resale (for someone else, or a store to sell) id think some of these processors would take all the native turkeys they can get,,,i know of a few organic chicken places,,but not of any turkey places,
i do know of one store that sells over 200 native turkeys at thanxgiving,,,4-5 times the retail price of the frozen ones,,

but wild turkeys seem so plentiful,,,we can hand-feed the turkeys that come around my house...and yes the thought does cross my mind,,the big tom turkey would look good on a plate,,,

Old 08-25-2007, 06:54 AM

I can't wait to get out in the woods and try out my new turkey call when we finally find our spot in Maine. Forest, if you are raising turkeys this year we could use a big one. 40 pounder ought to be about right for our big family. Maybe even have some leftovers

Old 08-25-2007, 08:33 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,539,238 times
I have eight adult turkeys and an undetermined number of poults, they're still hatching You can come here to practice calling til you find your spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: