Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 05:28 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times

Advertisements

Thanks! I haven't made any chili yet this season - can't stand it unless it's below 70 out, and we won't see that for a few weeks yet most likely. I'm wishing I had some of those yummy blueberries for a smoothy right now!

Old 10-08-2007, 05:32 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
so my daughter who is a senior in high school just said to me..."mom, I'm in the mood for french fries.....do we have any of that kind that go in the oven"....walks to freezer...."yes we do....when do they expire"......"Amy you live in a house with 4 kids, nothing ever expires"......and THEN "how do I cook these???".....did I mention that she is a senior in HS who will be ON HER OWN next year?? I think maybe I've done too much for her....gratefully, she did find the directions on the package....we'll see how they come out....

she burned Easy Mac 2 years ago.....the microwave one? that you add water to? yup, she was at her Dad's....(didn't add the water....)

Old 10-08-2007, 05:50 PM

323 posts, read 993,114 times
Start teaching her how to cook eggs and work your way from there. At least that's what my mom did! Breakfast was important in our house

Old 10-08-2007, 05:52 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Molly, either your daughter will learn to cook or she will develop a cast-iron stomach! even giving them the opportunity to learn in not a guarantee.. of my 5, 3 are "cooks" (in that they enjoy and are good at it) one is passable and one still struggles. All are married moms...

We do a family cookbook every so often, they request some of my recipes that they don't quite remember and contribute some they have learned. It is fun. My not-a-cook is getting a complete kitchen make over at present, a gift from her hubby (who is doing the work, with his dad) for their second child's imminent arrival. heck I just got an appliance <g> LOL The live in her hubby's family home, which was built in the 20s and I believe had the original kitchen (cupboards, etc.). the upper cabinets were wonderful to me.. dark wood (well, I could have improved on that, in a dark room...) with glass inserts. but there were not many and they were so shallow as to hardly hold a typical modern size dinner plate flat, so I understand why she wants a change. Lighter and brighter will make the room more appealing.

Necessity can be a "motha" but it also can be a good teacher!

Old 10-08-2007, 05:53 PM

that's a good idea...I've got to do something! my oldest son, who's 16, loves to cook....there's very little he can't do, I don't know how she missed it! lol....but she did!

Old 10-08-2007, 05:55 PM

star, thank you!

when I was growing up I was only interested in learning to bake....I learned the hard way too The family cookbook idea is a great one....I was forever calling home to ask how to make things....and while I still would've called, it would be nice to have them written down

Old 10-08-2007, 06:42 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
The family cookbook is a great idea! I was thinking of doing something along those lines for my new Sister-In-Law (thank you God my Brother didn't let this one slip away!). She isn't real good in the kitchen she says, and he is picky as heck; I was trying to think of a way she could get some basic meals in hand that he would actually eat, and that would be a bit more "Family" than just picking up a few local cookbooks.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:55 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
you are welcome! Being as how I am a designer by profession, I do it up royal <g> but with Staples or Kinkkos around, most anyone can do something cool.

Ours are half-legal size (a legal size paper turned sideways and cut in half) and I set them up to be printed on both sides of the paper, page numbers, index, the whole 9 yards... with family stories that relate and sometimes photos as well.

We get them printed (direct digial -- which is a fancy way to say Staples prints them with their souped-up inkjets, rather than photo-copying as in the old days) with a heavy cover that we have laminated and then they are comb bound (the plastic finger-thingys...)

I have even sold a few to friends and friends-of-friends... LOL I post on the ABC news/Good Morning America recipe board on the ABC news website and some of the other gals who post there have ordered copies.

Got me in practice for the layout and design of the Morehead City (NC) Sesquicentannial celebration cookbook, which went to press early this year. THAT is a cool book!

Of course, when I go visit the kids they always request the favorites that they have had problems with. Since I don't usually measure (I have to for the book... but sometimes it's not quite the same) it helps them to see me -- or have me talk them through as they follow the recipe so the can see the textures, etc. when they are right.

If she would not be offended, Bydand, you might include some "gift certificates" in with the book for your sis-in-law, for "two chefs-one kitchen" sessions with someone who makes the best versions of your Bro's favorite dishes. It would be a cool way for her to get to know his family better (nothing like working together for bonding) and learn the tricks of the trade for his fave meals.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:07 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
If she would not be offended, Bydand, you might include some "gift certificates" in with the book for your sis-in-law, for "two chefs-one kitchen" sessions with someone who makes the best versions of your Bro's favorite dishes. It would be a cool way for her to get to know his family better (nothing like working together for bonding) and learn the tricks of the trade for his fave meals.
She has been a part of the family for two years already in our eyes. A thing we still do is all of the "kids" and grandkids all meet over to my parents house for Sunday dinner, then spend the afternoon, sitting around chatting and doing things together. Sometimes it is a walk out back through the woods, sometimes it is a quick cooking lesson if Mom made something we kids want to know how to make. Other times it is spent out in Dad's wood-shop working on different things. She has been there all along, and is as close to the family as our "real" Sister. Everybody met out to their "hunting trailer" way out in the middle of the North Maine Woods this week-end for some campfire food and R & R. She is such a "city girl" that it is funny to watch her out there. She had never been out there until she and my Brother got together.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:56 PM

411 posts, read 898,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
star, thank you!

when I was growing up I was only interested in learning to bake....I learned the hard way too The family cookbook idea is a great one....I was forever calling home to ask how to make things....and while I still would've called, it would be nice to have them written down
I second (or third, fourth, etc) this!!! A family cookbook. Think I'm going to do that. There are many times that I like molly will call home to ask how to make things. My mom laughs every time. What's nice is now there are times when she calls ME to ask how to make something I make that she normally doesn't. But a family cookbook would be nice, maybe send out to branches of family that we don't see often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine