Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 03:04 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennybenny View Post
We're considering Ellsworth, Bangor, Rockland, and Augusta, pretty much in that order.

FWIW, Rockland will probably be the most expensive of those four options, Augusta the cheapest, Bangor the nicest
Also, I have a mobile home that is about 1064 sq ft, and I have my oil budgeted into 12 monthly payments; it's about $165 per month (that's kerosene, a little pricier than regular heating oil).

Augusta has high taxes-check out the many neighboring towns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 03:05 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,116 times
I saw a vampire in Whiting last week, had New Your plates.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:52 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
Hi certainquirk: You might like to read this about Ron Paul and the recent caucus, etc. State committee votes to keep Maine GOP chairman Charlie Webster in place despite caucus mess — Politics — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Bangor is nice, Rockland is nice, but Ellsworth is closer to Acadia National Park. I like Ellsworth. Don't listen to the naysayers who may feel obligated to make comments about summer traffic. After all, summer is short. Putting up with summer traffic is a small price to pay to be close to the coast, MDI, and ANP.

btw, Please be off the dole if you come to Maine. Maine needs more people who work for a living or those who have enough money to pay their bills without working. Having said that, maybe you should let where you find a job determine where you live.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 03-15-2012 at 05:06 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
Vampires suck.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:54 PM

97 posts, read 135,109 times
Thank you all for your informative, helpful, funny... replies.

mainegrl2011: I know ppl wish that politics were civil or would just go away, but anyone who has studied any history or philosophy knows well this is not the case. Ppl can play semantics and euphemize as the day is long, but when it's time for bed they will look for a compatible partner, and they'll do it in a locality or state or nation that defines them, whether they like it or not. Charlie Webster is walking a thin line right now. It's never pretty when one's true intentions and actions are seen in the light of day. Nonetheless, Maine does seem to have balanced itself better than most. Congratulations.

My being on the dole is part of the reason for our move. It's a long personal story but suffice it to say that in spite of working hard, paying off our home and having no other bills we are in a financial bind in an area with no jobs. We live in a very rural part of Colorado-- and yes, I mean rural even for you guys. (If you've ever been off the interstate on the Great Plains then you can understand what I'm saying). So we've been putting off the inevitable for the last couple years now. Our most likely option is, of course, the Front Range (Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, Ft Collins, etc) but there are other considerations I'm trying to take into account before we commit. I'll leave it at that.

Again, I appreciate all the responses. No matter what my final decision is, I do have a newfound respect for Maine and if I don't get to move there then I'll envy you for your common sense, ocean, beautiful forests, independence, responsibility, et al.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:33 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certainquirk View Post
Hello All. Thank you for all the great information I've been reading here.

Forgive me if I have my doubts, but Maine seems to have it all and at a reasonable price. Why isn't it overrun with people? There are folks right next door in upstate NH who are paying BIG property taxes with high priced real estate, and yet they stay there. Why? It can't be solely because of the jobs. I can't imagine Berlin or Concord for that matter, having advantageous career opportunities compared with Maine. The weather should be no account to them either. Something just doesn't add up. Mind if I ask a few questions?

1) Are there vampires? Heh...

2) If we had a 1000 sq/ft house in Bangor, how much would it cost to heat? (Assume I wouldn't supplement with wood).

3) If my partner and I both worked full time, low wage jobs (just for example, say 30K combined total) with our 1000 sq/ft house paid for, how would we fare for the year with income tax, groceries, utilities, maintenance, 2 car registrations, insurance (home and car) etc? (Just ballpark figures are fine of course).

4) Ron Paul did well there in the primaries. Is there an anti-government, live and let live atmosphere there? I've always assumed a majority of people wanting the gov to run their lives for them and take care of them (like down in MA).

After all I've read, I'm fascinated with Maine now. I really need someone to show me the ugly.
Income taxes

Drug addiction and drug related crimes Men impersonating DEA agents invade, ransack home — Portland — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

And http://bangordailynews.com/2012/02/0...ref=relatedBox

And http://bangordailynews.com/2012/01/0...ref=relatedBox

Then there's Lyme Disease Islesboro Lyme disease

And http://bangordailynews.com/2012/02/0...ref=relatedBox

And Maine's economy offers few opportunities: http://www.kjonline.com/news/poverty...011-11-05.html

Last edited by OutDoorNut; 03-16-2012 at 04:44 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
certainquirk, if I was going to move again (which I won't) I'd move back to Bangor. Just all around good; except for Stillwater. Disclaimer: My opinion only, your results may vary.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:18 PM

118 posts, read 283,880 times
Stillwater sucks.... Too much big box store growth on that road, poor light placement, the newish highway off-ramp and terrible city planning in general..... once that super wal-mart opened... fo-git-about it... nothing but a headache these days.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:10 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
That and the paint they use on the lines in the road in Bangor. The lines seem to disappear when it rains. Or is it just my old eyes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine