Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:46 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
... Note that the executive director of LURC is not a political appointee, while the DEP commissioner answers directly to the governor and is appointed by the governor.
I do not wish to argue. I am new to Maine, and learning these things.

LURC commissioners are not elected officials.

From the Maine.gov site: Commission Staff

It seems to say that they were appointed.

If my understanding is wrong, please instruct me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 08:50 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing_The_Greatland View Post
I noticed that the "Welcome to Maine" signs were amended with the "Open for Business" slogan just beneath "The Way Life Should Be" slogan. Does Maine really want to take the same path as the rest of the east coast? Very sad, IMHO.
West Virginia was the only state I know that had "Open for Business" slogan for a while. It didn't really vibe with me. Apparently, I wasn't the only one. WV scrapped it's "Open for Business" slogans. Now it's "Wild and Wonderful".

Old 05-22-2012, 10:40 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
West Virginia was the only state I know that had "Open for Business" slogan for a while. It didn't really vibe with me. Apparently, I wasn't the only one. WV scrapped it's "Open for Business" slogans. Now it's "Wild and Wonderful".
Correct! Stupid Governor Manchin thought that was a good idea, but it just about made the citizens revolt (personally, I wish they had). All the border signs are back the way they were before "Open for Business" and the taxpayers got to pay for it both times.

BTW, how much did we (taxpayers) pay to put that sign up on I-95 that says "Open for Business" below a perfectly acceptable sign that says "The way life should be?" If we're "Open for Business," how much profit did that sign earn us?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Correct! Stupid Governor Manchin thought that was a good idea, but it just about made the citizens revolt (personally, I wish they had). All the border signs are back the way they were before "Open for Business" and the taxpayers got to pay for it both times.

BTW, how much did we (taxpayers) pay to put that sign up on I-95 that says "Open for Business" below a perfectly acceptable sign that says "The way life should be?" If we're "Open for Business," how much profit did that sign earn us?
The sign cost a lot less then the study cost for assessing the 'need' for a private road to haul Canadian goods from Canada to Canada.

As for the OP; this change from LURC to MLUPC, gets rid of some duplication within government. Instead of both LURC and Forestry having a bite at forestry operations now only Forestry, so it may reduce government cost.

Allowing Department of Environmental Protection to control utilities, instead of first having to comply with 'primitive-use' only zoning and DEP on top of that.

There is a chance that this may reduce the cost of government.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:30 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The sign cost a lot less then the study cost for assessing the 'need' for a private road to haul Canadian goods from Canada to Canada.

As for the OP; this change from LURC to MLUPC, gets rid of some duplication within government. Instead of both LURC and Forestry having a bite at forestry operations now only Forestry, so it may reduce government cost.

Allowing Department of Environmental Protection to control utilities, instead of first having to comply with 'primitive-use' only zoning and DEP on top of that.

There is a chance that this may reduce the cost of government.
I understand that the sign (I wonder if they did a needs assessment for the sign ...) probably cost less than the study. I'm curious about the ROI on the sign.

That makes me wonder about another thing. Will that East-West highway go through any of this land that LURC controls? Is that an issue?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:56 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I do not wish to argue. I am new to Maine, and learning these things.

LURC commissioners are not elected officials.

From the Maine.gov site: Commission Staff

It seems to say that they were appointed.

If my understanding is wrong, please instruct me.
FB, you're correct that LURC commissioners are appointed by the gov and approved by the Senate. They serve staggered four-year terms and once appointed do not serve at the pleasure of the governor. (IOW he can't fire them.) But the executive director, the person who oversees the staff and approves the recommendations that the staff takes to the commissioners, is a civil service position appointed by the commissioner of the Department of Conservation. LURC commissioners do not hire/fire the executive director, altho they do have approval authority over the appointment of a new director. In the past, that has been a pro forma rubber stamp of the Conservation commissioner's choice. Executive directors may or may not continue to serve under new commissioners. In the past, it has been a long-term job, but a lot of veteran bureaucrats have left/retired/moved to other jobs since LePage was elected.

The job description generally requires a degree of familiarity and experience with subjects and laws that LURC handles. By moving responsibilities to the DEP, it places them directly under the purview of a political appointee who may or may not have the knowledge and expertise required to make decisions in that area, but who is more sensitive and responsive to the political side of a project.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:24 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
LURC as of August will have a different name. People will still call it LURC. LUPC might be called lupky by a few people. That remains to be seen. None of the nine members will be elected for that position, but some might hold office in some other capacity. LURC commissioners have very little authority to manage anything except citizens. They rule those citizens within their territory. Citizens in LURC territory don't get to vote on who rules them.

LURC commissioners are like jurors. They listen to cases and vote up or down, pretty much as instructed by staffers. There used to be a LURC member from Greenville named Paul Fichter. He said, "Any time you see a LURC vote that's 6 to 1, I'm the 1. I stand up for the property owner." Paul has passed away.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:47 PM

468 posts, read 758,756 times
As I recall it, somebody donated the cost of the sign, though it did cost our governor so many hours to head down to Kittery and pose next to it, so I suppose there is a cost.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:27 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
The sign was paid for by private citizens - twice. The first one was stolen soon after it was installed.

-break-

forest beekeeper imagines:
"There is a chance that this may reduce the cost of government."

Surely you jest. The cost will be borne by the citizens.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,185 times
I just can't believe what I've read. Perhaps we/our children will never live to see Northern Maine mowed down, developed, and ruined...., but I certainly see it heading that way. I have family in Maine, several generations, and though I've always/only spent my summers there; it has changed immensely. There is so much to love about Maine, and yet, pretty soon it'll all be 'organized', gentrified, and re-done. Just like every other coastal state in the U.S. Then, it'll be gated, reserved, and soon to be a giant Massachusetts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine