Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 05:55 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why 99% of Maine snowbirds seem to go to Florida?

In every northern state I've lived in, there have always been snowbirds. But they varied. Some might go to San Diego, others to Tucson, others to Salt Lake City, others to Texas. But in Maine, it seems as if every snowbird I meet goes to Florida. I've known one who goes to Virginia --- and that was only because her kids live in Washington D.C.

Why do none of the Maine snowbirds go to Georgia or the Carolinas? Why Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 06:46 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Here's a wild guess... Florida tends to be warmer in the winter than Georgia or the Carolinas.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,531 times
We go to West Virginia

Old 09-10-2012, 12:34 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Taxes. Maine people got to Florida for 183 days a year so they don't have to pay Maine's high income taxes. They all go to Zephyr Hills which is a colony of Maine people in Florida. They save their toll road receipts to prove they were out of Maine for those 183 days.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:49 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
As someone that left Florida I can't imagine going back. Come to TN folks. Middle TN has amazing winters. Not too cold, not too much snow. Tax free like Florida. And they people are MUCH nicer! If we can swing a house in Eastport we may be forced to go back and forth because of hubby's medical issues. He can't handle summers here anymore but I wonder if he can handle winters in Maine. Hoping the first winter he'll be okay so we don't have to leave and can just give the house here to our oldest daughter. Fingers crossed!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:33 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I watch "The Farm Report" most Sunday mornings at 5 AM. Their weather forecast for Maine for the next 90 days is temps above normal and precip normal. That takes us into December. After December 21 the days begin getting longer. Think positive. We may skip winter this year.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:14 PM

908 posts, read 1,118,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Taxes. Maine people got to Florida for 183 days a year so they don't have to pay Maine's high income taxes. They all go to Zephyr Hills which is a colony of Maine people in Florida. They save their toll road receipts to prove they were out of Maine for those 183 days.
That doesn't answer the question of whether they don't go to Georgia or the Carolinas.

In addition, I hardly believe as many people as some like to think do things solely because of taxes. I go where the quality of life is good and the cost of living is low - not because of some dinky 1% tax difference that equates to a few hundred bucks more a year. Hell, SC has the lowest gas prices in the nation and drive enough around there you can offset just about any tax. Taxes are an overused buzzword.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,334 times
Is this a racially safe place for raising young pre/teens? Have a job prospect in Searsport,don't want to feel like an alien in my own country...Ironically from Florida

Old 09-12-2012, 03:27 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
That doesn't answer the question of whether they don't go to Georgia or the Carolinas.

In addition, I hardly believe as many people as some like to think do things solely because of taxes. I go where the quality of life is good and the cost of living is low - not because of some dinky 1% tax difference that equates to a few hundred bucks more a year. Hell, SC has the lowest gas prices in the nation and drive enough around there you can offset just about any tax. Taxes are an overused buzzword.
Be nice to NMLM. I don't think there is just one reason, but a combination of reasons. AustinB took a wild guess that one reason might be because FL is warmer than the Carolinas or Georgia in the winter months. I've also heard there are some great airplane ticket prices between Maine and Florida--could be helpful if a snowbird needs a plane ticket. That could also be one of the reasons. There are get togethers in FL for Mainers/snowbirds during the winter months...no I'm not one of them; I just know some of them.

I think I've mentioned a friend of mine previously who was a snowbird for many years. He could register his motor home in FL for $150 per year whereas it was costing $1500 per year in Maine so he split up his time to be able to save money on this. Some retirees/snowbirds have to pinch their pennies or prefer to spend less.

SC does have cheaper gas.....What if you don't want to drive around a state such as SC to remind yourself that you are saving gas. What if you just want to park your motor home and ride a bicycle, motorcycle, motor scooter/moped, walk, or drive around the campground in one of those little golf carts (wearing a Tshirt and shorts)? I don't think any of the snowbirds love FL all that much--as in love FL more than Maine. Many of them worked their whole lives 12 months a year and toughed out the Maine winters for 40 years and are ready for not just a somewhat milder winter climate but a much milder winter climate--beach weather, barefoot weather. Then they happily return to Maine for six months possibly for May, June, July, August, September, October. Some fly back to Maine for Christmas--to spend it with family and maybe hoping for a white Christmas. Some stay in Maine until after Thanksgiving making their six months in Florida December, January, February, March, April, May.

corgis--no offense but if you're spending winters in WV, I don't consider you a snowbird. A snowbird moves to a warmer climate during the winter. WV can get cold and snowy during the winter and is definitely not beach and barefoot weather. You can check the dictionary if you don't want to take my word for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine