Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:25 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

I bought a Toro, when we lived in Ct. Yes Walmart and Home Depot carry them too, but we had a local small engine dealer and repair shop where I got this one. They assured me that they would forever service this line of snow-thrower

It is 6.5Hp, the biggest that they carried. It worked well in Ct, it cleared our parking lot nicely and really threw the snow a long ways.

Now it is 5 years old. When it refuses to start, it is a pain. When the snow is higher then the top of it's front opening mouth, then it just can't seem work further.

Last winter we found that if we stored it in the house with us, to keep it warm, then it would start more often for us. This winter so far we have been keeping it outside and it has started. But with this last dump, now it seems to want to be inside.

I tried to get a new spark plug, but nobody in the area [NAPA, VIP, Friend-Friend] carries this specific plug. I had to mail order a new plug for it.

It has very small free-spinning wheels. So does take a lot of pushing. When the snow is high, you have to back up and ram the snow banks to get it to take a bite of snow. Which is a lot of work.

The last two winters were fairly mild and the snow never did over-come this model, until April 2007. That big dump in April 2007, and now what we have had and this thing is getting over-come by snow repeatedly.

I am really searching for a track crawler that I could mount either a blade or a thrower onto. Many like a Magna-trak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 10:45 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
The little 6.5 HP Toro blowers are the little single stage ones right? Yeah those are a tad small for the winters here. You really need a two stage with driven tires or tracks. I personally like the tires, but I don't deal with a driveway with any real amount of grade to it, that is where the tracks really shine. I don't care at all for the ones with the dual tires, looks uber-cool but... unless your drive is FLAT it is too wide of a cut.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:53 AM

489 posts, read 1,211,273 times
On Dec 1, '07 (the day of first snow storm), I bought a new snoblower from a Fleet Farm store. The name of the blower is a "Swisher" (companies name is Swisher) - 29" path, excellent knobby tires, 6 speeds forward, 2 reverse, nice builtin headlite. Power is a Briggs & Stratton engine. Its listed as 14.5 foot lbs of torque (anybody know how much horsepower this translates to?) Also a small tag on engine says 305 cc's. I heard some companies are now listing power in torque lbs instead of HP because of inaccuracies in listing/claiming horsepower ratings, leading to lawsuits. Anyway its got plenty of power and its a good looking machine. We've had 3 good snowfalls so far (8" plus each time) and it does the job (and I have a big driveway and a backyard which I like to use in winter). It also has electric and manual start. For electric you just plug it in and hit the button and she pops right off. When outside if you turn it off for some reason, one pull on the cord starts her up again. Someone said its no fun blowing snow - I have to disagree - I love it; looking forward to the next storm. I look at my driveway and back yard as a piece of art - nicely formed edges - crisp corners - make paths to wherever which I couldn't neatly do before. I do have a '61 Willy jeep with a plow, but it needs a clutch which I am going to install probably next weekend. I got it in my garage right now thawing out. (had to dig it out with the Swisher). Anyway I highly recommend the Swisher. Haven't had it that long but am basing my opinion on the way she's "built". I bought a Swisher log splitter - 7 HP - 28 ton - a couple years ago, and that is also a quality piece of equipment. It does the job. Swishers been in business since 1945 and their "stuff" is "Made in the USA". Price of the Swisher Snow Blower was $995 (not on sale). They did have a smaller model on display for about $700.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:12 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
One small personal observation about walk-behind snowblowers.

If it all possible, get one with the electric start feature that requires a 110 volt extension cord and use it for cold starts.

Resist the temptation to use the pull start when the blower has been sitting in the cold shed or garage.

The blower will start much quicker using the electric, and you won't run the risk of having the motor kick back and damage either your hand or the recoil mechanism.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:52 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
Don't go anywhere and don't invite anyone over. Emerge in Spring with something you made for yourself during the big chill. Oh, if you aren't retired yet, I would suggest a plow on a tractor or truck rather than a snow blower. Might as well have a purpose year round rather than be a seasonal item. But that's just me.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:50 AM

489 posts, read 1,211,273 times
After using my snowblower after the second storm I went down and bought a "snowblower cab enclosure". Its a clear plastic enclosure that attaches to blower and keeps the snow from blowing back onto you if the wind direction is unfavorable. They claim to be universal and fit any snowblower. I wouldn't do without one now. They work! And like Cornerguy said, electric start is a must. Just last week, my friend, who has a pull/recoil start only, broke his recoil mechanism on his 2 yr old machine. A plastic part broke inside, undoubtedly from the cold temps.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:04 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
After using my snowblower after the second storm I went down and bought a "snowblower cab enclosure". Its a clear plastic enclosure that attaches to blower and keeps the snow from blowing back onto you if the wind direction is unfavorable. They claim to be universal and fit any snowblower. I wouldn't do without one now. They work! And like Cornerguy said, electric start is a must. Just last week, my friend, who has a pull/recoil start only, broke his recoil mechanism on his 2 yr old machine. A plastic part broke inside, undoubtedly from the cold temps.
I've seen those for sale in Cabella's and wondered if they worked...we thought maybe the snow would cake up on the plastic and you wouldn't be able to see. I'm glad you posted that!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:34 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
The "Good Kid" we have that plows and mows for us also has a walk behind snowblower that has one of those enclosures. Nifty thing.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:02 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Now this is a snow blower. It cleans the driveway and poops out snow bricks and stacks them to the side no human needed. LOL.

Video (may be a commercial before the real video)
Breitbart.tv » Snow-Eating Robot Poops Ice Bricks as It Clears Path

Old 01-06-2008, 03:01 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
COOL! Clear your driveway and build an igloo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine