Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:01 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times

Advertisements

Gasoline was running $2.99 to $3.02 today in my part of the world, and I noticed that oil, after some brisk profit-taking yesterday pushed prices below $90, popped back up to as high as $94 today after the government reported an unexpected drop in US oil inventories.

Has anyone had experience with computerized thermostats? I'm thinking of installing one on the first floor to control my furnace. Also, any thoughts on using timers for the hot water heater? Do they have a reasonable lifetime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 12:18 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
I've been using an electronic thermostat for my furnace for about 6 years now and wouldn't go without one. I still have the original battery in it for the programming. As for a hot water heater timer, I have put in hundreds and have only replaced ones that are 25 or more years old. Some of those were just to keep them from dying and they were still operating perfectly. I would go with the newer style electronic ones as well. They are cheaper than the mechanical ones and the ones I put in 15 years ago are still going strong, plus they give you lots more freedom in the programming of On/Off times. They also have a battery back-up and you don't have to reset the time every time the power goes off. Best place to pick up both items? Lowes or Home Depot. Same as the ones you get from heating and plumbing or electricians and cheaper because they buy them by the thousands and I can buy them 5 or 6 at a time. I can buy them cheaper at either place than I can through my supplier.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I've been using an electronic thermostat for my furnace for about 6 years now and wouldn't go without one. I still have the original battery in it for the programming. As for a hot water heater timer, I have put in hundreds and have only replaced ones that are 25 or more years old. Some of those were just to keep them from dying and they were still operating perfectly. I would go with the newer style electronic ones as well. They are cheaper than the mechanical ones and the ones I put in 15 years ago are still going strong, plus they give you lots more freedom in the programming of On/Off times. They also have a battery back-up and you don't have to reset the time every time the power goes off.
Important point for me, because the power here blips and hiccups on a fairly regular basis. Are there any brands you would recommend? (Or does that violate the rules here? PM me if you like.) Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:40 PM

Can't imagine it would violate any rules. I like Honeywell for the thermostats, and Intermatic for ANY timer. These are personal preferences of course, but for the timers it is also professional preference. For a Hot Water timer I always install the Intermatic EH40 for 240 volt applications (99%) and the EH10 for 120 volt applications (usually very small under counter heaters.) These give you a total of 42 different on/off settings for the week, each day individually (3 ons, and 3 off per day).

My brother recommended the Honeywell thermostat and he is a Heating guy. I got the 5 +2 programmable, which just means I can set the time the temperature goes up in the morning and down after I leave, then back up before I get home and down again just before bedtime for the 5 days of the week M-F and then set different times and temperatures for the week-end. You can get ones that let you program each day individually as well. I like it because they have easy manual over-rides and is back-lit so I can actually read the stupid thing without having to turn on every light in the house.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:07 AM

Thanks! Very cool (no pun intended).

I see that oil broke $95 this morning and heating oil in Maine broke the $3 barrier yesterday. There will be a pullback sometime this month, I'm sure, if only on the speculators taking profits, but the overall trend line right now does not look good, especially with the Christmas shopping season coming up.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:37 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,219 times
After reading this thread, I decided to call Dead River and get the oil tank filled in Eastport rather than wait until the scheduled fill in December. Maybe that'll save a bit of money. We have the temps. on 50 in the house and unless the contractor comes in and out a lot, we shouldn't use a lot of oil this winter. Of course that supposes that the winter will not be a killer cold one.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:48 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Our oil is locked in, I think at $2.69, but maybe $2.79......we usually come out ahead. We haven't installed the programmable thermonstats yet, but right now I'm working from home so I'm here to adjust them. Also we have a wood burning fireplace and a propane fireplace, and we use them quite a bit, which is why we come out ahead on the oil, I'm sure.

I wonder how much this effects snowmobiling in Maine?

Old 11-01-2007, 10:57 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Important point for me, because the power here blips and hiccups on a fairly regular basis. Are there any brands you would recommend? (Or does that violate the rules here? PM me if you like.) Thanks for the advice.
I have a 5/2 programmable from Lux connected to my pellet stove. It allows four different settings during the day, and different settings for the weekends, if desired. I think I paid less than $40 for it.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:07 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
As I figured, our gas price jumped to 2.75/g today from 2.59 yesterday.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
As I figured, our gas price jumped to 2.75/g today from 2.59 yesterday.
I'll take it!! 32 cents a gallon cheaper than this area today. We are back to $3.07/gal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine