Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 02:39 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,341 times

Advertisements

Fun reading in Down East magazine this month:

Magazine 2013 June - Last Rose Standing

Personally, I love beach roses and have been trying to propagate them for years. If any of you have a sure method, please share!

I finally have a few babies started, let's see how they do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 05:41 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Thanks for the tip of the roses article in Down East magazine.. I do love the beach roses. Aren't they sometimes known as rosa rugosa? I have tried at least once to grow one but was unsuccessful, however a neighbor has a front walk hedge of them. I just love the fragrance.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:48 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Love them. They're one of the few things I can't grow. I planted three last year and they died. Four this year, dead.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:10 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
I surprised anyone has managed to kill one of these things. But, it's probably the soil type. My father-in-law planted one on his front yard and it took YEARS to eradicated them. They spread like wildfire underground and will pop up everywhere. I love them bounding the ocean, but they are not a "domesticated" rose.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:59 AM

793 posts, read 1,343,115 times
I'm neutral on the roses... love the beach Morning Glories though.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:36 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Thanks for the tip of the roses article in Down East magazine.. I do love the beach roses. Aren't they sometimes known as rosa rugosa? I have tried at least once to grow one but was unsuccessful, however a neighbor has a front walk hedge of them. I just love the fragrance.
Newdaawn, I think the Latin name is rosa rugosa.

Radio Flyer, you must be the only person neutral on those! It seems like people are either trying to grow them or eradicate them, like bangorme's FIL.

I have a few tiny ones started in the front yard. We will see! I would like a beach rose hedge, and I think most of the yard is too wet, so I'm not too worried about them running rampant.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Newdaawn, I think the Latin name is rosa rugosa.

Radio Flyer, you must be the only person neutral on those! It seems like people are either trying to grow them or eradicate them, like bangorme's FIL.

I have a few tiny ones started in the front yard. We will see! I would like a beach rose hedge, and I think most of the yard is too wet, so I'm not too worried about them running rampant.
Get back to us in a year lol.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:30 AM

793 posts, read 1,343,115 times
I'm neutral on the roses because I don't actually live on the beach!

They're pretty and smell great, but I can certainly understand not wanting to take care of 'em.

How does everyone feel about Lupine? When I was growing up, I always liked them, but I read that they're not native. This surprised me and I kinda lost that lovin' feeling. I imagine that they're much like the roses in that they grow like weeds.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
I'm neutral on the roses because I don't actually live on the beach!

They're pretty and smell great, but I can certainly understand not wanting to take care of 'em.

How does everyone feel about Lupine? When I was growing up, I always liked them, but I read that they're not native. This surprised me and I kinda lost that lovin' feeling. I imagine that they're much like the roses in that they grow like weeds.
IMHO, an invasive pest.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:59 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Lupine are just coming out now on the sides of the interstate. I find them pretty there but don't want them in my garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine