Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,397 times

Advertisements

I miss BBQing some of my fav foods and can't find local meat markets.(Bangor area). Specifically looking for seasoned or unseasoned Carne Asada and also beef Tri Tip. When I ask for these people look at me as if I'm insane!
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 07:18 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Tangled Oak Farm, 1187 Back Brooks Road, Monroe produces grass-fed beef and pork. 525-3018,

Vine and Branch Farm, 2123 Union St. Bangor produces grass-fed beef and pork
945-6651,

Cornerstone Farm, 74 Dogtown Rd., Palmyra produces pork
Cornerstone and Fail Better Farms

Grassland Farm, 41 Grassland Lane, Skowhegan, produces pastured beef
Grassland Organic Farm

Maine-ly Poultry 1461 Atlantic Hwy, Warren produces chicken
273-2809

Smith's Log Smokehouse, 7 East Main St., Monroe produces sausage and jerky
Smith's Log Smokehouse in rural Maine - Buy Smoked Jerky, Sausage, Salami, Ham, Bacon, Poultry, Cheese, Salmon, Venison, Snacks

All of these are vendors at the Orono Farmer's Market.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:45 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
I'll vouch for Smith's. They've done our bacon and hams for us, and I've purchased their sausages. It's excellent.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:50 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
Ask for sirloin tips or steak tips. They are called tri-tips in other parts of the country.

They are in pretty much every Hannaford I've seen, usually sitting in bowls in the meat case, pre-marinated.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:15 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
the sirloin tips, or loin tips, come from bottom sirloin flap meat,,,not tri-tips..

namber,,
P&L country store in dexter has tri-tips, they did last week,, thats not far from you- call ahead and ask for Phil

herring brothers in guilford has these also-call the retail store and ask for frank-this isnt far from you..

tri-tips are popular out west-(southwest and cal.)started being popular making fahitas

quite a few store have tried them this spring/summer, but most mainers,,,arent sure what they are,,

the steakhouse/sirloin tips are gaining in popularity they usually come in strips,,,tasty and tender

goulette's iga in guilford also carries the sirloin tips,,, you can call and ask for jeff or corey

dont ask for "sirloin tip steak" these are steaks cut from a knuckle-part of the round- ask for "loin tips, or sirloin tips"

some stores had the carne- items,,,just tough to sell in maine..

here is a video of a tri-tip
How to cut Tri-Tips - YouTube

and here is a video of "sirloin tips" from bottom sirloin flap meat
Beef Steakhouse Loin Tips - YouTube

these tips are great by themselves or to marinade..

Old 07-12-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
I miss BBQing some of my fav foods and can't find local meat markets.(Bangor area). Specifically looking for seasoned or unseasoned Carne Asada and also beef Tri Tip. When I ask for these people look at me as if I'm insane!
Thanks in advance!
if you want a pork butt, to slow cook for pulled pork,,or a fresh beef brisket for slow cooking, or smoking,,
P&L market in dexter has these

these are popular southern bbq items - see them on the cooking channel alot

Old 07-18-2013, 03:23 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Thanks in advance!
'Carne asada' just means 'roasted meat' in Spanish (literally 'meat roasted'). It's not any particular cut (though it *could* be a roast), and it could be any kind of meat, but commonly means beef...although, if you are traveling in Mexico or Spain or shopping at a *real* hispanic market you might want to ask, just to be sure you aren't getting goat or something else...unless that doesn't matter to you.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:19 PM

885 posts, read 1,495,397 times
NOT!! Carne asada is a cheap cut and also cut very thin beef........at least that's how all my Mexican friends and also the Mexican meat markets sell it in California. It's certainly NOT a roast....LOL!!!! Tri tip on the other hand IS a roast.........

Old 07-18-2013, 04:34 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
NOT!! Carne asada is a cheap cut and also cut very thin beef........at least that's how all my Mexican friends and also the Mexican meat markets sell it in California. It's certainly NOT a roast....LOL!!!! Tri tip on the other hand IS a roast.........
I might suggest you buy some and cut it to suit your tastes. Maybe some place down around Cherryfield or Harrington might have what you are looking for. They have a large southern influx, and you can get real Coca Cola in glass bottles at a store in Cherryfield.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 PM

from wikipedia

In Mexican cuisine, carne asada (literally 'grilled meat' (specifically beef), though any type of dry heat cooking may be used)[1] is made from thin marinated beef steak. The meat is marinated by rubbing with olive oil and salt or with spice rubs such as lemon and pepper or garlic salt, lime, or Worcestershire sauce, before being cooked on a grill. The meat can be served alone or chopped and used in tacos, burritos, piratas, or quesadillas. Carne asada is often served with fresh guacamole, grilled onions, black beans or frijoles charros, and fresh salsa. Carne asada can also be topped with chismol, a home made salsa. Chismol is made with onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano
end

if its a thin sliced steak,,,it can be flank, skirt, top round, round tip, depending on if you roll, or stuff it,,,
one of the largest (diameter) thin sliced steak,,,is a butterflied top round,,,some folks like this for beef for brasciole *sp)

when i was in nyc,,,the hispanic markets, thin sliced most all there beef-they did it on a slicer-mostly round tip steak (from a knuckle) and top round-both lean steaks,,
flank steak, skirt steak,,they also sliced in thin strips
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine