Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 AM

15 posts, read 24,628 times

Advertisements

My family and I have lived in Asheville , NC for several years now and while there
are many things we love about the area, we're ready for a change. We just
recently started considering Maine as we
always just thought Vermont was our place.

We love snow and outdoor activities, farmer's markets, festivals and are generally friendly outgoing people. What we are looking for is:

Out of the South
Nearby colleges
Live and let live attitude
To stay on the eastern side of the us
Not necessarily a liberal atmosphere, but not one
where healthcare and personal choice is allowed
My SO has a chronic health issue, so medical marijuana is important
We do have a family, and we both will still be
in college, and we want part time jobs, probably.
We also love the mountains and water, doesnt have to be an actual beach, but swimming outdoors is one of our loves.

Vermont seems to be pretty close to what we want, but it also seems to be a little more expensive than Maine.

So my question is : what towns come to mind ?

Thank you if you have finished this entire post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 04:41 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_sprite View Post
My family and I have lived in Asheville , NC for several years now and while there
are many things we love about the area, we're ready for a change. We just
recently started considering Maine as we
always just thought Vermont was our place.

We love snow and outdoor activities, farmer's markets, festivals and are generally friendly outgoing people. What we are looking for is:

Out of the South
Nearby colleges
Live and let live attitude
To stay on the eastern side of the us
Not necessarily a liberal atmosphere, but not one
where healthcare and personal choice is allowed
My SO has a chronic health issue, so medical marijuana is important
We do have a family, and we both will still be
in college, and we want part time jobs, probably.
We also love the mountains and water, doesnt have to be an actual beach, but swimming outdoors is one of our loves.

Vermont seems to be pretty close to what we want, but it also seems to be a little more expensive than Maine.

So my question is : what towns come to mind ?

Thank you if you have finished this entire post!
bethel, fryburg, raymond, naples, windham, belgrade, manchester, winthrop, monmouth, greenville, rangeley, jefferson, readfield, harrison, bridgeton
litchfield, palermo, liberty...to name a few

Old 07-30-2013, 06:45 PM

Thanks so much.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
For jobs:

Burlington and Brattleboro – Vermont

Portland, Augusta, Waterville, Bangor, Auburn-Lewiston – Maine

Old 08-02-2013, 11:37 AM

12 posts, read 28,613 times
I would say Vermont is more of what you want. I love your list you dont want a personal choice of healthcare you want to smoke pot your disabled and you want a job but probably just part time.

I hire people everyday and I am not usually not on the lookout for a person with that description

Old 08-02-2013, 07:01 PM

625 posts, read 792,344 times
Yea Maine sucks Vermont sounds like you best choice here.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:19 PM

I didnt say i didnt want a choice as far as healthcare goes. I also said that med marijuana helps my SO chronic health issue. Personally, i am not a drug user, other than an occasional motrin. Guess you also missed the part about us being students. You seem to imply that we are not hatd workers- i actually work two full time jobs right now, plus go to school and raise a family. My SO is not disabled, never said that either, just said there was a chronic health issue. We both bust our butts on a daily basis, work for everything we have - as it should be - and are raising our kids to do the same. However, the state of NC is not working out for us and want to move.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:21 PM

As for the part time jobs, that was a col thing, not a we dont want to work thing. Sounds like you assumed a lot from my op, most of it wrong.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:38 PM

54 posts, read 85,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_sprite View Post
Not necessarily a liberal atmosphere, but not one where healthcare and personal choice is allowed
I don't understand. Do you not want choice of your healthcare? or do you not want people to have personal choices? I know liberals love the government telling them how to live their life but maybe I am misunderstanding the question.

The people in Maine are not as friendly in people to the south. The people in New England in general are not as friendly but I think it has something to do with the weather and how it hardens them mentally. There are lakes as well as the ocean to swim in but if swimming is a "high priority" understand the weather up here is much colder and their is far less "swimming" time. Your post makes it sound like you would enjoy vacationing here in the summer but I don't believe you understand what it takes to be a full time New Englander.

I'd look into Washington State. The pay is higher and more job opportunities and your partners drug of choice is legal. The only thing on your list it doesn't hit is the east coast part. Maine is a lot more expensive then NC and the pay isn't good.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:05 PM

Choice is absolutely important, which is something the gov in nc is taking away from ppl. Ive compared rent / price of hones in my part of nc to several of the towns we're looking at in maine and in that area -maine is def cheaper - so in your opinion what makes maine more expensive? I live in a ski resort town where we get a good bit of snow and cold weather - the first snow last year was in oct and the last the end or april / beginning of may. So, while im sure it lasts longr in maine - we love snow /cold. But back tocol - here a decent 3\2 is between 1300- 1600 a month and electrice bills in winter run between 300-600 a month, even with alt heat sources.

Also, the west coast is not an option because of the distance to family.

Regardless of whether or not my SO prefers med marijuana to prescription drugs Does not make us shiftless hippies, lol, we just want to live our lives Without religion or the government telling us how we have to live, ya know? We're good, hard working ppl and just want to live in a live n let live environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine