Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:38 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,428,233 times

Advertisements

1) The loon has one of the prettiest calls of all birds:The LoonTune
2) Maine is 320 miles long and 190 miles wide
3) After reading his books,I'm too scared to meet him.
4) Yes Maam>>>>>>tips hat.
5) No but we have hummingbirds as big as mosquitoes.
6) Sometimes we have late night poker games.
7) I'm sure you can get here from there.
8) No,but this summer we had 9" of rain in 3 hours and a firetruck drove into a 12' washout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 07:00 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlcu View Post
4. Would a young Texas widow be able to find a date?
Do you need a date?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:09 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
1. What exactly is a Loon? Part of the Duck family?

A loon is a large diving bird. It eats fish it catches deep down in the lake. Loons have small, but strong wings. When they fly they have two speeds, full speed and crash.

2. How long would it take me to drive East to West and North to South across the state?

Kittery to Fort Kent is 440 miles. It is about 7 hours. Eastport to Coburn Gore is about 5 hours.

3. Has anyone actually met Stephen King?

Steve and Tabitha go to Pat's Pizza a lot. The locals kind of protect them from fans. They just want a quiet pizza around 10 PM. Steve will come in and say to Pat, "Has IT come out from under the porch again?" People shudder. Pat will say to Steve, "Now, don't you go scaring the customers again!". It's fun.

4. Would a young Texas widow be able to find a date?

You betcha! You might have a difficult time communicating, but you would have fun.

5. Are there really mosquitos the size of hummingbirds?

Nah. It's the black flies you have to worry about.

6. Exactly how far is it to the closest roulette table?

Foxwoods in Connecticut and Montreal in Canada are about equal distances. I'd say both are about 6 hours from Bangor.

7. Are there really NO direct flights to the state of Texas?

No. There are only direct flights FROM Texas. Nobody want to go TO Texas.

8. Have cars REALLY disappeared from the high tide?

Lubec has a 25 foot tide. You could lose a Winnebego, much less a car.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:20 PM

222 posts, read 530,064 times
Default Formerly of Texas

Oh my..... leave Texas as soon as possible! I left Austin and never looked back. I found a great job, a fantastic house, and the men here are men(no questionable aspects). They may hunt (which I don't like, but the venison is tasty) and may have facial hair-but they are study, steadfast, and REAL. Come and you won't be sorry-IF YOU ARE READY TO CHANGE YOUR EXPECTATIONS. You will not have starbucks, homedepot, and old navy at your beckon call. You will spend more time in the market because you will have to talk to so many people who know you, you will have people who know when you are home and keep an eye out when you are not, and you will have the beauty of the most amazing state in the union. Texas can not compare on any level-I know I lived the texas life for more years than I like to remember.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:28 PM

107 posts, read 226,589 times
Default In Love!

Since I first began my Maine wonderings back in the summer I have posted to every board and forum I am a member of seeking information. Have you ever been there? Have you ever lived there? Good/Bad, etc. I have googled, yahoo'd and aol'd maine until I fell asleep at the laptop. I can say without any hestitation I am thrilled to have found this spot. I am SO excited about my trip next week. I yearn to be there in a way I can't quite articulate although I am pretty sure Elacrim and a few others might get it :-) So consider this a big ole THANKYOU to you all. Thanks for considering me a AY-AY member of the Ya-Ya's and sending me the LOON SOUNDS!!! and telling me it's 6 hours away from Black 24 and that yes, I may find a date should I so choose to have one (it's been a while). I'm ready for change and even though I'm not thinking I'm a true victim of the "grass is always greener" syndrome I am Maine bound one way or the other. It's the place I feel more of a sense of HOME than any other I've seen and if my instincts are right, well I'll be there before I know it.

Chalk it up to being a King fan, having more lighthouses than shoes, being HOT all the time, wanting more recreational options than swatting flys, I am moving to Maine whether ya'll like it or not! I imagine it as the place where my early jigsaw puzzles come to life. The natural scenery alone is enough to make me tear up. But, but it's more. It's the FEELING I get from those who's screen names only shed a small light onto the state of the people. Call me mellow, call me 2 too many cold beers tonight, call me lonely for the life I'll never have in Texas again (i was a 33 year old widow) I'm a raring and I'm a ready and I'm a MAINE OR BUST bound ASAP.

Stacie

Old 11-13-2007, 08:34 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,388,314 times
We'll all look forward to you coming "home" Stacie Deah

Old 11-13-2007, 09:02 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,755,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMathTCHER View Post
the men here are men(no questionable aspects). They may hunt (which I don't like, but the venison is tasty) and may have facial hair-but they are study, steadfast, and REAL.
Come and you won't be sorry-IF YOU ARE READY TO CHANGE YOUR EXPECTATIONS. You will not have starbucks, homedepot, and old navy at your beckon call. You will spend more time in the market because you will have to talk to so many people who know you, you will have people who know when you are home and keep an eye out when you are not, and you will have the beauty of the most amazing state in the union.
Right on , Sister- 100% agree about the men

So well stated- you hit it the nail right on the head!

Glad you are so happy with the choice you made to move to Maine, MaineMathTCHR!!

Last edited by moughie; 11-13-2007 at 09:12 PM..

Old 11-14-2007, 03:36 AM

34 posts, read 86,358 times
sjlcu...i am with you on words not being able to express your true feeling for Maine, sight unseen. i am in the same place. i think that if you travel and live enough places and still find a sort of unrest,that your heart,spirit and mind create what you are looking for. and i think you can easily spot it when you see it on tv,movies,the internet,pictures and read about it in books. my husband made the trip down east (eastport,lubec,machias,calais,etc) just last month and came back telling me that he was going to bid on a house. my spirit,heart etc. all jumped on board sight unseen ! i love Maine and i have not even been there yet! i hope to make my first trip up there next summer. i envy you next week hitting the beautiful open road...HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME ! stay safe.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:35 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,581,171 times
The Loon...

a fish thieving bird that can often be seen swimming with her babies on board her back.

I f you watched the movie "On Golden Pond," the loon calls you hear, were recorded up to Medawisla Camps (Second Roach Pond) just north of Kokadjo. It was recently purchased by the AMC.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:22 PM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I can answer the direct flight question, and the answer is NO. My MIL is bitching and moaning about the fact that even as a free flier working for Continental, she can't get a direct flight without at least one change-over. She adds that to her list of many reasons we're stupid for moving to Maine!
Maybe her bitching is one of the best reasons to move to Maine!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine