Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 12:00 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugLoverof4 View Post
Actually I didn't "poke" the bear. You can call it like you see and that is fine. I haven't been the one being rude to anyone. Like I said to someone else's statement, everyone has an opinion. I won't be called "hon" and have a smart comment made to me about getting a thick coat from LL Bean. If you see that as having a thin skin, then again, your opinion. I see it as taking up for myself.
If someone thinks Allagash truly isn't for me, then by all means give me some advice on what might be a good place. I have give all of the things that I need to be able to survive in a new area. Why not help me out instead of being rude to someone?
Lets get real for just a second , and understand I deal with many "good ol boys" from the great State of Texas every single day. Terms such as "hon", "darlin", "good ol boy" are part of the dialect. One of my best clients is from Austin, Texas and if I had a penny for every time he has called my wife "hon" I would be financially set. Respect is a two way street....please respect the fact that some of us here have "been around the block" and that term was in no way offensive. Being from Texas you should understand that !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 12:00 PM

861 posts, read 1,147,842 times
I grew up in Minnesota, played hockey outside in northern Minnesota in minus 79 degrees wind chill. I know what cold feels like. And I'll take that any day to the damn 100 degree days we get in Austin Texas. By this time next year, I'll be in Maine as a retiree (but closer to Portland than Allagash because I prefer some city amenities). To me the key to "survival" in cold weather is to find hobbies that embrace the winter. Take part in cold weather activities such as X-country skiing, snow shoeing, ice fishing, whatever appeals to you. If you hide in your house from the first freeze until mud season, you'll go crazy and hate the entire state of Maine (for no good reason). I've tried to do the same with the hot weather, but it doesn't work for me. With modern fabrics, you can dress for cold. There isn't anything that allows you to dress for extreme heat and still be active. So give these ladies advice instead of dire warnings of how awful it might be. Ladies - hit the stores for thermal/thinsulate clothes and enjoy the weather.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:37 PM

129 posts, read 202,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Lets get real for just a second , and understand I deal with many "good ol boys" from the great State of Texas every single day. Terms such as "hon", "darlin", "good ol boy" are part of the dialect. One of my best clients is from Austin, Texas and if I had a penny for every time he has called my wife "hon" I would be financially set. Respect is a two way street....please respect the fact that some of us here have "been around the block" and that term was in no way offensive. Being from Texas you should understand that !
Being from Texas I also know that you can use that in a condescending manner. And yes, this was used in that way here. I find it laughable that you are trying to say that it was used as a term of respect here. Again, do not treat me as stupid because I am not. I have lived here all my life so I think I would know much better what a Texan is like rather than just dealing with them. It also depends on which part of the state you are from as to which dialect you use. A lot of people do not like to be called these names. More often than not, people do not like these names. This is like saying that all Texans where cowboy boots. It just doesn't happen.
Another thing, this does not help me in finding a place in Maine in any way. I have asked that if someone felt that if Allagash wasn't the place for me, to please give me a suggestion. Talking about how "hon" was used in a sentence has no bearing on me finding the perfect place in Maine. I truly would appreciate the help. If you look back, you can see what I'm looking for in a place.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:01 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
I grew up in Minnesota, played hockey outside in northern Minnesota in minus 79 degrees wind chill. I know what cold feels like. And I'll take that any day to the damn 100 degree days we get in Austin Texas. By this time next year, I'll be in Maine as a retiree (but closer to Portland than Allagash because I prefer some city amenities). To me the key to "survival" in cold weather is to find hobbies that embrace the winter. Take part in cold weather activities such as X-country skiing, snow shoeing, ice fishing, whatever appeals to you. If you hide in your house from the first freeze until mud season, you'll go crazy and hate the entire state of Maine (for no good reason). I've tried to do the same with the hot weather, but it doesn't work for me. With modern fabrics, you can dress for cold. There isn't anything that allows you to dress for extreme heat and still be active. So give these ladies advice instead of dire warnings of how awful it might be. Ladies - hit the stores for thermal/thinsulate clothes and enjoy the weather.
If you read this thread in it's entirety, you would understand that these gals have several inherent challenges that the best gear money can buy, will not resolve.

One states a rather significant back injury/disability. They are looking to survive on about 2k a month. I would love nothing more than to see Northern Maine, and the Allagash prosper.....however......day after day I have people contact me seeking that path less traveled and prior to spending thousands of dollars on the thought, I have a responsibility to give those people a "reality check". No one has said....."do not" relocate to the Allagash. What I have read is a little local wisdom, a little humor, but most importantly that subtle message to re-evaluate your priorities.

I have no crystal ball, and knowing what little I do, can only base my opinion off those limited details as provided.

The Allagash does have one thing that is not common to many of the areas that I frequent...it has one paved road in that is "usually" passable year round.

With all that said.....in respect for those things which the OP has disclosed, and prior to investing in thousands of dollars in winter/4 season gear....those "dire warnings" are, in my opinion, appropriate.

It is literally impossible to predict ones success or failure in any one area, however there are varying degrees of probabilities....enuf said !

Old 09-18-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
Thanks so much! You definitely can't dress for this heat. The second you walk outside, sweat literally starts pouring off of you. So forget ever feeling clean. A couple of winters ago, it never dipped below freezing so it didn't kill of the mosquitoes. That next summer was when we had all the West Nile cases. There's definitely something to be said to get out of this heat!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Which I think is the direction we need to move towards. How about some recommendations. I've recommended the Lincoln area. It has a lake, a wilderness feel, within 45 minutes of Bangor, has local amenities. Any other ideas?
I agree. Any recommendations are welcome!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Bird, if I am to understand correctly, you are from away. I always thought that if I was from away, I would be very slow to tell people what they can and can't do vis a vis moving to Maine.
The long and short of it is that living in northern Maine (as opposed to southern Maine) is not for wimps. IF the ladies from Texas are wimps, they wouldn't make it. If they are not wimps, they would stand a good chance.
Hey, maineguy. That is correct, I am "from away", and that is another instructive point, vis a vis the folks moving from Texas to Maine. They will never, ever NOT be "from away". And another point -- the women from Texas don't know anyone in Allagash (or why would they be asking us?). Maine, particularly rural Maine, can be very clannish.

I don't think I said what they "can or can't do", simply I held up a mirror to the facts:
They are moving to the rural edge of the Canadian border, essentially, driving an RV.
OP said she is shooting for January.
They have 4 pugs.
One of them has a bad back, and needs medical attention.
The other one is a city type.
They have never been here.
They don't know anyone.
They want to live on $2000 per month.
Etc.

Oh, and they want to know about "alien landings."

The OP has repeatedly asked for suggestions, "if not Allagash then where."

Here's a suggestion, which you can choose to be offended by --

Your number one need, it seems, is to have access to the med facilities that have your specialty-type doctor. Do your google and find those doctors. Search in that area, within reasonable distance. Google the names of towns, see if they have blogs, websites, etc. Most of them do. Google broadband access in the area. Google in descending order all those things you require/want/would like.

That's how it's done. Asking random strangers on a message board is kinda unscientific. But whatever pops your cork, cause I don't care.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Bird, if I am to understand correctly, you are from away. I always thought that if I was from away, I would be very slow to tell people what they can and can't do vis a vis moving to Maine.
The long and short of it is that living in northern Maine (as opposed to southern Maine) is not for wimps. IF the ladies from Texas are wimps, they wouldn't make it. If they are not wimps, they would stand a good chance.
I guess it remains to be seen. Thing is, we are adults and people being rude isn't really helping or hurting us one way or another.
Thanks maineguy!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:10 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
It might not have been offensive, but it wasn't very friendly. And being friendly is something northern Mainers expect from themselves and each other, no matter what.
I just want the ladies from Texas to know that.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:11 PM

613 posts, read 944,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugLoverof4 View Post
Actually I didn't "poke" the bear. You can call it like you see and that is fine. I haven't been the one being rude to anyone. Like I said to someone else's statement, everyone has an opinion. I won't be called "hon" and have a smart comment made to me about getting a thick coat from LL Bean. If you see that as having a thin skin, then again, your opinion. I see it as taking up for myself.
If someone thinks Allagash truly isn't for me, then by all means give me some advice on what might be a good place. I have give all of the things that I need to be able to survive in a new area. Why not help me out instead of being rude to someone?

There was another thread here recently by someone wanting advice on moving to Maine, she was from Michigan I think. She started freaking out when a couple of people (Maine residents) compared S. Maine unfavorably to N. Maine (a common opinion here I've noticed from some; I've got no problem with it). I just thought, man, she won't do well in Maine, freaking out every time someone expresses an opinion she doesn't like.

"Hon" I've noticed, is a term used by some females & some guys maybe. I think it's a cultural, regional, possibly generational (is that a word) thing. Doesn't anyone use that term in Texas? BTW, if you're crazy enough to move to N. Maine (my assessment, given your situation, all the info. you've shared, etc.), you're gonna NEED friends/neighbors, etc. like birdinmigration to give you advice; & you should listen, I sure would.

As far as "getting a thick coat from LL Bean"--why would that possibly be offensive? I have 2 winter coats from LL Bean--one good down to about 15 degrees F., another called a "Baxter State Parka" I think that's so warm I don't even wear it unless it's maybe 15 degrees or lower. What did you think you were going to wear that far North?

As far as: " If someone thinks Allagash truly isn't for me, then by all means give me some advice on what might be a good place." That's a huge question, & I guess that might take a lot more research......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine