Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:36 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,561 times

Advertisements

I laughed OUT LOUD (isn't that the kid of those hippies????)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Just to be fair and put things in a more balancd perspective....the first year we were there was a humdinger of a winter. The first day of school for the two kids, first and third grade turned out to be a bitter cold day and developed into a real blizzard! Even tho we had taken several walks to the new school and had admonished the kids to wait because their mother would meet them after school to get them home safe and sound--the third grader came out saw the storm and panicked and decided to walk home--he got lost in the white out. I got a call at work (about 30 miles away) that my son was lost!!!!! and that my wife was out looking for him with the teacher and the principal..all the way home I envisioned him dying in the storm. When I got home a good 45 mins later I found a stranger in my house with my younger two sons (a teacher) and a search party looking for my boy. It got dark! And then a knock on the door, people down the hill said they heard a knock on their door and when they opened it There was my little guy, he said, "I am brand new and I don't know where I live" well of course they knew who he was (isnt that the kid of those hippies who bought the Wolfe place lol) and brought him safely home. Without the kindness and willlingness to pitch in the outcome would have been...I hate to think. We were still the "flat landers"...but if we ever really needed neighbors, they were there. I am so glad I posted this "the other side of the story."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 02:42 PM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post
Bydand, it's a shame you are leaving for you are one of my favorite posters. Isn't there any HOPE that maine will rescue itself from this tax problem? Some homes I look at ARE quite outrageous and all I can figure is that there are five or ten too many folks living off it. As well, in most of these towns there are no fire depts or police in the town itself so ... where is all of that money going? In a place with 275 residents .. I kinda have to wonder about that.
From what I can tell, it seems that as a town grows, by the time they get up to 800 people they will have their own fire department [like Alton Me].

But so long as they are smaller [150 people or less], there just is not enough tax-base to afford a fire department.

If you are looking at a town with 275 what is the mil rate?

Old 12-03-2007, 02:44 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,829,511 times
Forest-
The trash bag thing started in Oct., I guess some folks thought it would encourage more recycling and raise money to address some issues with the land fill. Some people living on that end of town are complaining about the odor, and health concerns so upgrades are needed or they have to close it. Voters passed a bond for improvements last year. This year City Council voted to close the land fill permanently on Dec. 1 2008 and asked voters to approve a bond to cover the cost of closing???? So one bond to help improve it, the other to close it and of course both were approved by voters?? So frustrating and in the meantime we pay for the blue trash bags that say City of Bath on them and can only buy them from a handful of local stores such as Shaws and Ace. Of course they run out of the 13 gallon kind frequently then you have to buy the 30 gallon ones for $10. My concern beyond the ridiculous waste of money is that it will actually encourage illegal dumping instead of recycling.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:46 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
That's outrageous, really. They must do assessments there with no caps like we hve in FL. They cap it at 3% a year. THey do not reassess in FL, only when the house is sold.
Maine could have the same deal if it were only on the ballot. No homestead exemption, either???
Yep, Maine has a homestead exemption, veteran's exemption, tree growth exemption, farmland exemption, and a couple of others related to open land and public use and conservation and such.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:46 PM

Good question, forest. IT's surprising how much of this stuff you can find online with itty bitty places adn others have it locked up tight like they never heard of public websites???

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
From what I can tell, it seems that as a town grows, by the time they get up to 800 people they will have their own fire department [like Alton Me].

But so long as they are smaller [150 people or less], there just is not enough tax-base to afford a fire department.

If you are looking at a town with 275 what is the mil rate?

Old 12-03-2007, 02:48 PM

37,442 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
Pat's Pizza in Scarborough is the only restaurant I have ever been in that puts meat on a Greek salad.

Always loved their pizzas, but meat on a Greek salad?
Hmm like ground meat, or sausage?

Is that meat in addition to the anchovies?

Greek Salad in my experience is usually: tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, bell peppers, feta cheese, capers, anchovies, sardines, kalamata olives, with oregano and doused in olive oil.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:49 PM

Wow !! I sooo wondered. Hope you didn't think I was saying FLorida is better. LOL ~~~~~~~~~~!!!! I'm taking two trains a uhaul a tractor trailer a bus two jeeps a plane and seven days of driving to get the heck out of here TO maine. *just kidding about part of that transpo* (BUT whatever it takes)
So, does this mean when I am eyeballing these lovely properties online and I am being put off by the HIGH HIGH taxes that it's possible they could be less with a homestead? I guess that's a better question for the town office or the seller.
What IS the homestead exemption?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Yep, Maine has a homestead exemption, veteran's exemption, tree growth exemption, farmland exemption, and a couple of others related to open land and public use and conservation and such.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:50 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Bydand, it's a shame you are leaving for you are one of my favorite posters. Isn't there any HOPE that maine will rescue itself from this tax problem? Some homes I look at ARE quite outrageous and all I can figure is that there are five or ten too many folks living off it. As well, in most of these towns there are no fire depts or police in the town itself so ... where is all of that money going? In a place with 275 residents .. I kinda have to wonder about that.
Actually it is more driven by the schools that offer the program for my wifes advanced degree. Just isn't any here. There are a grand total of 4 in the country, so you go where you have to. One of them is in an area I know very well, and has fantastic schools for the kids, low crime rates, very low cost of living, 1/2 the income tax rate, 1/2 the property tax. and beaches - mile after mile of sugar sand beaches. Not to mention 100's of acres of apple and Peach orchards. Not a bad trade off actually. Still great neighborhoods and people, and she can continue her education. She has wanted to do this her whole life and is finally within a couple of years of finishing it up.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:51 PM

Stay there !! I have a great deal in florida but many are in a different boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
We have Prop 13 here in California. My taxes go up a maximum of 2% a year period. Maine had the opportunity to vote in similar legislation, but it was voted down.

I pay about $1700 a year total taxes on two condos in one of the most expensive real estate market in the country.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:52 PM

264 posts, read 397,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Hmm like ground meat, or sausage?

Is that meat in addition to the anchovies?

Greek Salad in my experience is usually: tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, bell peppers, feta cheese, capers, anchovies, sardines, kalamata olives, with oregano and doused in olive oil.
There were no anchovies or sardines (pretty much unique to Greece). They put on ham slices and salami slices. My wife is a vegetarian, and it was too funny when they brought the salad. They figured they could rectify the problem by having her simply remove the meat. She sent it back and opted for the cheese pizza.

It was when they first opened in Scarborough. I really doubt anyone in the place has the slighest clue what exactly is in a Greek salad. Even though some Greek salads do use anchovies or sardines, I have never seen them used in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine