Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 09:25 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,204,126 times

Advertisements

Maine is one of the more tax "unfriendly" states, and Wyoming one of the most friendly States with the highest and lowest tax burdens. Maine is very liberal, with Massachusetts liberals in the south and poor liberals above Augusta. With the exception of our governor, all its congresspeople are liberal. Maine, like most of the New England states, is very unfriendly towards business and the end result is that most of our kids have to move out of the northeast to find good paying work.

As far as the ocean, it's a big plus for Maine, but keep in mind that most of it is not accessible to normal Mainers except through state parks. The fishing in Maine is great if you like that. The winters are OK if you like winter sports, but surprisingly the milder winters have hurt that a bit.

Most people from away that move here (at least the ones I've known), find Maine people aloof but friendly. My experiences in the west is that people there are much more outgoing and gregarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 11:17 AM

114 posts, read 136,583 times
Default Not concerned about the politics...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I LOVE both Wyoming and Maine, but they are very different places.

Wyomiing has far fewer people. You can definitely find sparsely populated areas of Maine, but unless you're up in the County, it doesn't feel as isolated. Wyoming has just under 600,000 people. Maine has 1.3 million --- and Wyoming is a bigger state.

Maine feels more forested. Wyoming's mountains are way, way bigger. What we call mountains in Maine wouldn't make a reputable foothill in the Tetons.

Wyoming has a more western culture. I don't remember the last time I saw a cowboy hat in Maine. You can't not see them in Wyoming.

Maine gets more snow. Wyoming has greater weather extremes. Wyoming is much dryer.

In Maine you're more likely to hit a moose with your car. But you have zero chance of being eaten by a grizzly.

But don't move to either because of politics. Both places have political extremes, but most folks are great, friendly people. Both states have very, very rich people, a lot of poor people, and a lot of people in between.
Thanks for the input. Trust me I won't move anywhere because of politics. I'm moving because of lifestyle. I live a more conservative life. In California, there is an entitlement mentality as well as live anyway you wish even if it harms someone else. We're looking for a more quiet life around hardworking, decent people that are a majority.

Wyoming is very beautiful. The one concern is that I really love the ocean so we were looking at coastal towns in Maine. I won't have that in Wyoming. It blows me away, the population of both states. Cali has over 35,000,000 so you can see why we are looking for a quieter less populated place. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:46 PM

719 posts, read 988,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Katahdin is pretty majestic.....

Vs.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:52 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,914,654 times
But Katahdin stands almost alone. That adds to its impact.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:55 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,204,126 times
Gee, the mountain in the second photo looks tiny! It appears to be about three times as tall as the barn!!!!!!!!! Now, Katahdin looks huge... very impressive.

I guess Maine it is.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:17 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,250,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
But Katahdin stands almost alone. That adds to its impact.
You're reaching.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:32 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,680,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Gee, the mountain in the second photo looks tiny! It appears to be about three times as tall as the barn!!!!!!!!! Now, Katahdin looks huge... very impressive.

I guess Maine it is.
Funny.
Of course you have to realize that the barn itself is at a higher altitude that the peak of Katahdin.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:43 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,914,654 times
I LOVE the Rockies and have driven through many parts of it with awe. I do find that Katahdin is majestic in a different way, standing alone as it does.
Maybe it's just me.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:11 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,257,710 times
katahdin looks serene, peaceful, the shape of the other mountains looks like a huge pile of dung

see, if i lived near the big mountains, id want to climb them,,, which , based on experience,,,id be bouncing off those rocks all the way down. so, id be better off with ,,low hills,

Old 02-12-2014, 05:45 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,074,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parducci View Post
Thanks for the input. Trust me I won't move anywhere because of politics. I'm moving because of lifestyle. I live a more conservative life. In California, there is an entitlement mentality as well as live anyway you wish even if it harms someone else. We're looking for a more quiet life around hardworking, decent people that are a majority.

Wyoming is very beautiful. The one concern is that I really love the ocean so we were looking at coastal towns in Maine. I won't have that in Wyoming. It blows me away, the population of both states. Cali has over 35,000,000 so you can see why we are looking for a quieter less populated place. Thanks for the input.
Well, you could also check out N. CA., where there are many rural towns, of both political persuasions, and is very quiet. Though, I completely understand what you mean re: In California, there is an entitlement mentality as well as live anyway you wish even if it harms someone else It's actually quite surreal at times-the attitude and resulting reality that you mention, from my decade plus of living in so cal. Just a mention, I've known people who have made very drastic moves, to the polar opposite of what they hate or have grown tired/frustrated with, and it proves to be too extreme. You may want some population and amenities within driving distance-lol. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine