Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 04:03 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2Maine View Post
When I took my vacation in Maine, I ended up driving to Eagle Lake, which is very rural, at night - miles and miles of forest, no one else in sight, passing small ancient graveyards...very Stephen King
Don't forget all the fog in the coastal area... seems like it might have been that which laid the ground work for The Mist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 04:17 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
When I took my vacation in Maine, I ended up driving to Eagle Lake, which is very rural, at night - miles and miles of forest, no one else in sight, passing small ancient graveyards...very Stephen King
You must have went up Route 11 through Ashland. Yep that is a nice drive, I've been down that stretch lots of times and lots of times have seen not another vehicle from Patten all the way to the Mill just south of Ashland even during the day. From Ashland to Eagle Lake is just as quiet. If you get that way again, you have to stop at Coffins General Store in Portage.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:47 AM

23 posts, read 117,482 times
Enjoyed reading the various points of view. There is no perfect world and as a result there is no perfect places to live. As long as the pluss' outnumber the minus' we're ahead of the game.

We've honeymooned in Booth Bay Harbor, Maine in 1970 and absolutely loved the little village. At that time we've lived in Boston. If you've read back to any of my other posts - we came to the US from Hungary in 1963 (the family following my Dad, who left during the 1956 revolution). Because I was just a kid then I wanted to know about Hungary - the culture I was raised with at home and home of a very expressive and beautiful language.

As you, SoCal2Main, I kept saying 'one day'. Turning 50 did an amazing thing for me - I began prioritizing and turning the 'one day's' into plans and weeding out those that weren't so important. I always thought having a business would be better suited to my personality than to being an employee - unfortunately, while you are raising children alone you can't really afford to take the risk. I can understand your caution and hope the Fed. Gov. job will work out for you.

When I actually did return to Budapest in 1999 - I caught the last of the affordable housing wave and have a lovely 1000 sq. feet one bedroom apartment with 12 foot ceilings and lots of light. Although I cashed in my 401K to buy it - even with the penalty for cashing it in early it was the best choice as it had since tripled in value.

Having lived through a culture shock after arrival (despite speaking the language) I realized that it must be even more discouraging to foreigners to make a home here. It was pursuing this idea with details that my 'job' and business were born assisting expats and vacationers arriving in Hungary. It was creative as I had done everything from the website to collecting service providers and even establishing a social group under the title of Budapest Young Professionals (BYP) It had been a pleasure to allocate my time in a way that I saw fit and promise you I've worked a lot harder than I ever have as an employee but what a run ride. I still have my coaching/counseling practice along side so my life is nicely balanced.

Hope you will do what you really believe to be important. Regrets are probably the saddest thing we could do later in life. Good luck.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:46 AM

175 posts, read 420,243 times
Hope you will do what you really believe to be important. Regrets are probably the saddest thing we could do later in life. Good luck.

This is so very true. I had to finally just make up my mind and plan on doing it. You can ALWAYS find a reason not to do anything, just have to decide what it is in life you really want and what you are willing to do or sacrifice to get it.

We were just in Maine in October and went to Cape ELizabeth. I wanted to see a lighthouse. It was so foggy that day, it looked really cool. Something right out of a spooky movie.
I know I use to laugh at people that would come down here, pull off the side of the road to take pictures of all the gators and turtles in the canals. But here I go to Maine, and am doing the same thing, except with lighthouses, fall colors and stuff like that. Can't be laughing at tourists here anymore..

Old 12-02-2007, 09:39 AM

28 posts, read 56,005 times
Don't forget all the fog in the coastal area... seems like it might have been that which laid the ground work for The Mist!

Exactly! lol

Old 12-02-2007, 09:46 AM

Yes you're right... I was on route 11. I love Aroostook County - all of it!

I stayed at the Overlook Motel in Northern Maine

I will stop at Coffins General Store - when I get back

Last edited by SoCal2Maine; 12-02-2007 at 09:57 AM..

Old 12-02-2007, 09:59 AM

175 posts, read 420,243 times
Wasn't that the name of the place in "the Shining", The overlook??? Ha Ha

Old 12-02-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora* View Post
Enjoyed reading the various points of view. There is no perfect world and as a result there is no perfect places to live. As long as the pluss' outnumber the minus' we're ahead of the game.

We've honeymooned in Booth Bay Harbor, Maine in 1970 and absolutely loved the little village. At that time we've lived in Boston. If you've read back to any of my other posts - we came to the US from Hungary in 1963 (the family following my Dad, who left during the 1956 revolution). Because I was just a kid then I wanted to know about Hungary - the culture I was raised with at home and home of a very expressive and beautiful language.

As you, SoCal2Main, I kept saying 'one day'. Turning 50 did an amazing thing for me - I began prioritizing and turning the 'one day's' into plans and weeding out those that weren't so important. I always thought having a business would be better suited to my personality than to being an employee - unfortunately, while you are raising children alone you can't really afford to take the risk. I can understand your caution and hope the Fed. Gov. job will work out for you.

When I actually did return to Budapest in 1999 - I caught the last of the affordable housing wave and have a lovely 1000 sq. feet one bedroom apartment with 12 foot ceilings and lots of light. Although I cashed in my 401K to buy it - even with the penalty for cashing it in early it was the best choice as it had since tripled in value.

Having lived through a culture shock after arrival (despite speaking the language) I realized that it must be even more discouraging to foreigners to make a home here. It was pursuing this idea with details that my 'job' and business were born assisting expats and vacationers arriving in Hungary. It was creative as I had done everything from the website to collecting service providers and even establishing a social group under the title of Budapest Young Professionals (BYP) It had been a pleasure to allocate my time in a way that I saw fit and promise you I've worked a lot harder than I ever have as an employee but what a run ride. I still have my coaching/counseling practice along side so my life is nicely balanced.

Isadora,

Thank you for the very motivating and inspirational words - you are truly a coach!

and also for the well wishes!

Old 12-04-2007, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Yes you're right... I was on route 11. I love Aroostook County - all of it!

I stayed at the Overlook Motel in Northern Maine

I will stop at Coffins General Store - when I get back
The Overlook, LOL! Can anyone say The Shining?

Old 12-04-2007, 04:24 AM

SoCal you are so right! Our daughter wants to move South as soon as she is out of college. Luckily for us, she chose a reasonbly priced school and we keep saving away to hope to push our plans up sooner. I knew on my first trip to Maine, that she was going to be home for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine