Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:56 AM

411 posts, read 898,543 times

Advertisements

Well, hubby picked up the Farmer's Almanac the other day, and it's predicting a long winter this year. Lots and lots of snow, with snow basically into April. Now, so far it's been right on, and it looks as though the trend is continuing.

How many of you believe the Almanac? Or have seen it be correct in years past? I know there are many old-timers here who put stock in it, and I think we are going to start. lol... it really seems to be correct most of the time.

And another note, I just see this winter being so hard on so many. All this snow is creating so much more heating usage... going to be tough for those who can't afford oil. We have a full tank (well, did about a month and a half ago), and it better last all winter, or we will be living in our bedroom, with just an electric heater. Prices are way too high for our budget!!! I am thankful that we have what we have however, and can't imagine the terror for those who don't have any, or very little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 11:08 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
Oh, I absolutely believe in the predictions of the Farmer's Almanac. It follows the natural cycles of the earth, and I think those are right on target! My grandparents always planted their huge garden based on that year's guidelines in the Almanac. Never failed!

So, if there will be snow all the way into April, we may be there before it ends!!

Old 12-16-2007, 11:15 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
I'm loving the snow. If its going to be cold and windy all winter, I at least want to see the beautiful snow on the ground. Hehe.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:16 AM

Yay El!!! Get here fast! We need you! And you need snow!

(wow, guess I went exclamation point crazy there, must be the white-out driving me crazy).

Old 12-16-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I'm loving the snow. If its going to be cold and windy all winter, I at least want to see the beautiful snow on the ground. Hehe.
Oh, I'm not minding the snow one bit, except for the shoveling out the walks and barn doors while hubby is gone plowing. And missing him when he's gone for days at a time, but such is neccesary.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:45 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I believe the Old Farmer's Almanac. It is very good for precipitation and wind directions. They may miss by a couple of days, but in general they are very accurate. They predicted the last two droughts and the last two poor winters we had for winter sports.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:57 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
Well in some ways more snow will mean an easier winter. Usually a snowy winter means a milder winter temp wise...not every day, but over-all. Also, you can use the snow to "bank" the house, so in the end it may save a few pennies on fuel. The other thing is that the guys around here that count on the money from plowing have had a very difficult time these last couple of years. One person in particular that I know worked hard to land a couple of big contracts, only to end up losing money the last two years. Hopefully he's all ready broken even now, and will come out with some profit this year. I know what you mean though KAF, and I agree with you that for a lot of people getting heating fuel is going to be very difficult. There's no need of these high prices. Absolutely no reason for it but to line someones' (plural) pockets!

I saw that the Farmer's Almanac said "milder winter with more precipitation" so I'm hoping that means SNOW!! lol....I love this time of year. My parents always put a lot of faith in the Almanac, and I never really thought about whether to believe it or not until about 10 years ago. Since I've been paying attention to it, I've noticed that much more often than not it's right!

Old 12-16-2007, 12:47 PM

You are right on the heating thing Molly. I feel the same way,when it snows it's warmer, and overall there *should* be a heating savings of some sort, but I think that most families won't find that. The attitude I've noticed seems to be that if it's snowing, it's really really cold, and they need to turn the thermostat up! I just don't get it, but it seems to be a pervasive attitude. We are keeping our heat at 55 most of the time, it goes to 62 right before we get up in the morning, and back down after we leave. If hubby is home, he turns it up sometimes to 62 for the day, but most often leaves it alone. Then at night it goes up once more for a couple hours... but mostly it's left alone. Sure hope it lasts! You are also right about the prices Molly, there's no need for that. Drives me nuts.. I understand that those high prices are comingn from other sources, and it's not the dealer's fault, but it's hard to feel that way when you are getting gas/oil, etc. Where I nanny, they had 87 gallons delivered about 2 weeks ago, cost them $240! And they have a monthy delivery, and she gets a discounted rate on oil from work. Can't imagine going through that much! Yikes!

Farmer's Almanac, I'm glad that most have found it accurate. I think we'll be closely watching it from now on. We always have believed in it for the most part, but really this year paid close attention.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:41 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
It was 2 degrees last night. Snow or no snow it was cold. Today the wind is blowing. Snow or no snow it's cold. I just made a nice broccoli and cheese soup and some croutons to top it. Winter's coming.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:09 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
Is it possible that we even live in the same country??? I'm so awestruck that THIS http://news.aol.com/story/_a/bad-win...09211009990001 is going on just north of us, and we're headed right back into the 70s in a couple of days. Sunny and cool here, but I feel like we're on a totally different continent than the rest of the country! Geez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine