Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 08:22 AM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times

Advertisements

Posted 8 days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Could be more snow coming around the 23rd time frame. (next week), Jet stream digs down to Mid Atlantic and sends a NW flow into the Northeast with a clipper type system rounding the base.

We'll see. Northern New England of course has higher percentage of snow happening with this one.

We might enter a chilly pattern too after the 21st.
This morning...

De-Icing planes in Syracuse

Lake Effect Snow in Ohio and NY

Map looks like November

And... from NWS Gray Maine..

https://twitter.com/NWSGray/status/591034191120236544
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 07:13 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,302,027 times
Woke up to a dusting of snow this morning.
I am starting to feel like we are never going to have the weather to expand the fencing...

Old 04-27-2015, 06:34 AM

506 posts, read 684,337 times
This week looks like another cool gray stretch. Promises of sun and 70s next week......but I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:19 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Soil temperature is 43 degrees right now. Below the surface it is colder. There is still frost further down. Back roads are cratering as natural drains open up. The Madagasgal Lake Road is closed for the next few weeks. It is posted as such. One year a man with a brand new Volvo 4WD Cross Country decided to try it He made it about 50 yards before all four wheels went down and the car was sitting right on the pan. It was the missus' car and she was NOT happy.

I got a call to see if I could help. People know I have a lot of rope. I explained to the driver that there could be rocks down there and his muffler or body work could be damaged if I pulled him out. He begged me to pull him out. He opened the trunk and got out a purple velvet pouch like Chevis Regal comes in. It had a gold strong. In the pouch was a polished stainless steel eye bolt about 18 inches long. The driver popped a rubber cover off the back and threaded the eye bolt in and said I could pull on that. I slid the Volvo through the mire until it came up onto firm ground.

Then he put it in gear and it would not move. It just went "clunk". In reverse it was the same. The missus was fuming. I told the driver to just sit a minute. All four alloy wheels were packed solid with mud. The clunk was coming from the left front. I got a stick from the woods and dug the mud out from between the spokes. There was a rock the size of a turkey egg pinched between the spoke and the brake caliper. I told him to put it in reverse, but don't step on the gas. He did and I popped the rock out. The $60,000 Volvo was able to move again.

He asked where the nearest car wash was and I told him in Lincoln near the WalMart. The driver asked how much he owed me. I told him he didn't owe me anything because it was the most fun I had all week.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Soil temperature is 43 degrees right now. Below the surface it is colder. There is still frost further down.
I measured the temp yesterday morning and it was 40°. Lets say it ranges between 40-43.

Plants are getting huge inside, I need to get them out in 2 weeks (normally mid May). Same last year with the cold soil, nothing grew till June.

After May 4th we "might" enter a very warm pattern. Still too far to tell but models hinting at it.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:47 PM

Re measured the soil temp after it got 8 hours of sun today.. thermometer shot up to 60°. Is that possible? I'm familiar with how to accurately get air temp but how about soil?

Does it need to be in shade? Is it an average of night and day temp? (If so then 50 seems to be it)

When I stuck the probe down 2 more inches I saw the temp dropping to mid 50s.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Re measured the soil temp after it got 8 hours of sun today.. thermometer shot up to 60°. Is that possible? I'm familiar with how to accurately get air temp but how about soil?

Does it need to be in shade? Is it an average of night and day temp? (If so then 50 seems to be it)

When I stuck the probe down 2 more inches I saw the temp dropping to mid 50s.
If I remember my college science right, soil temps are determined by sunlight/ or even the warmer temp such as rain at a massive rate compared to normal exposure temps.
Additionally- rain has the elements to slowly soak the ground actually warming it faster than a sunny day.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:28 AM

I took this picture this morning around here.. Thought you guys might want to see history. There was a huge pile of snow in this parking lot but Enough was Enough I guess.

They broke up the pile of snow. Never seen snow piles in May around here. Pretty fascinating. Usually pretty cool to see at the end of March let alone into May.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:42 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
Judging by the sign next door, that could be an inexpensive way to keep the wine cold.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Judging by the sign next door, that could be an inexpensive way to keep the wine cold.
I was noticing how green the grass was
The expansion on our fencing for the dogs has started. Finally warm enough to make head way here.
It will take a bit to get it done, but wonderful to see progress. I have no doubt that the dogs have cabin fever with such a smaller yard....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine