Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 02:53 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,896 times

Advertisements

Santa Fe, thank you so much for the link. I have saved it to Favorites and will definitely use that before we put this house on the market. I think I'll smudge myself and DH too. He is part Native American so I know he will be interested in hearing about this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 04:27 PM

612 posts, read 1,216,510 times
I love my house and if I could, I would relocate it to Maine. It is a brick cottage design with a colonial blue door and shutters. My house is filled with love and peace and that is reflected by the decor...New England country and New England coastal...which flows to the outside with a cottage garden outside the front door, and to the right of the door at the corner of the house, a rock garden with a lighthouse(a light of hope). In a corner of the backyard is a sanctuary with a statue of St. Francis of Assisi, four hanging bird feeders, two flowering hibiscus bushes, a garden flag and potted flowers. I have blessed the four corner posts of our property. In the past, on two separate occasions I have had someone knock and ask if the house was for sale.

You may think I am a nut case and that is okay...but a house blessing will provide the same effect as the burning of sage (to expell negativity and the spirit of darkness). You can perform the house blessing yourself if you do not have a priest to provide the service. I have a house blessing if you would like one or you can get one off the internet. It is always a good idea to bless a house before you move in to rid it of the possible negativity of the builder and/or crew working on the house or occupants that may have dealt in the occult. I keep a holy water font in my house to sprinkle and bless a room if I feel that someone came to visit and left behind their negativity or bad vibes (that would be service people...air conditioner, appliances, etc.). Some people have the gift of a discerning spirit and can tell if there is a spirit of sadness or evil lurking about.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:35 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,697,311 times
I also saved the smudge link to my Favorites. Thanks so much for posting it, Santa Fe! We've sold 3 houses in the past and never had much luck selling quickly. I was always very anxious to sell, but that's nothing compared to how anxious I'll be when it's time to put our current house on the market. This will be the most important house sale yet, since it'll mean that we'll be on our way to Maine!

Happy New Year everyone! Hope all your wishes come true in 2008!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:27 PM

454 posts, read 886,295 times
Sisters, this is a great post, and I can't rep you enough
If I may add...
Blessing a home and ridding it of negative energies is a positive action, which draws positive energies back within the home. A home can be blessed in a number of ways. Saging, or smudging a home is one way, that is embraced by many faiths, as is using holy water, or incense, or candles.

Be sure to do what makes you comfortable, as the success of the blessing/cleansing relies directly on you...your intent, belief and faith in the action is what really gives it that "oomf", that personal power at work.

If the smudging makes you uncomfortable, or is hard to find or afford, you can use your "intent" and what you have on hand to bless and cleanse. The smoke from incense or a candle, or holy water from your church...or even good ole Morton salt from your kitchen works in a pinch.

Blessings written by others are often great and very effective, and MEnME it was very nice of you to offer one you found that works well

But also, don't be afraid to use your own blessing, something you can write down to recite, or just a few words that represent positive energy, protection of home and hearth, and luck to you. When it comes from you it has more ~oomf~

Even something simple as "I banish any negative energies from this house, to be replaced by a loving, warm positive light" or even your favorite prayer or psalm that makes you feel surrounded by love and filled with good energy. Or dip your finger in the holy water and make the symbol of a cross on each doorway if that gives you comfort.

All the advice in this thread is great, and I personally would do a ritual cleansing of my home, followed by a blessing, and I would bind negativity from entering my home....but that is ME. It works for me, partly, because I believe in it. You need to find what works for you, and trust in your faith in yourself and your God (or Gods, Goddess, Mother Earth, Father Sky, cheesy-poof, rice crispies...whatever)

One last thing...don't forget to bless and/or cleanse yourselves as well as your homes...because they aren't the only thing that can get weighed down by negative energies and environments

Old 01-01-2008, 07:24 AM

Great Post Bewitched.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:31 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,896 times
Excellent post Bewitched.

For some reason, I can't Rep you this morning. Don't know whats up with that.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 AM

Same here...I have to spread reps around before I can rep you Bewitched.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:59 AM

191 posts, read 519,161 times
Love your posts Bewitched - thank you.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:05 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Very, very good, B!!

Old 01-01-2008, 11:51 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched View Post
Sisters, this is a great post, and I can't rep you enough
If I may add...
In some traditions Cedar is used in addition to, or in place of, sage to smudge. I tend to use a mixture but as I am moving more northward, it is becoming more cedar.

A friend of mine has a wonderful cleansing ritual (for her person) that is based on cold water. She says the cold holds a "charge" better... I use her idea sometimes, and sometimes -- when combining with a bath or shower -- use warm water. but I know that when I have had an especially trying, challenging or downright terrible, awful no-good day, it REALLY helps me to do her ritual as soon as I walk in. I'd do it before, if the neighbors wouldn't call the cops at the sight of a naked witch on the porch! LOL Anyway, run a basin of water, or fill a bowl with cold water and then "charge" it for cleansing by putting your hands over it and focusing cleansing energy into the cold water, adding appropriate words to bless with water with the ability to remove stress, "sticky threads," bad attitudes, ideas, whatever is necessary, in the name of whatever Powers you walk with. Then, starting at the top of your head, using either just your hand or a clean washcloth, rub the water over your head from the top down, your face, shoulders, arms and hands... etc... to your feet... rinsing and recharging the cloth or hand as needed. I usually add a sense of why I am doing this "cleanse my head that I might more clearly hear the Words... my shoulders to carry what the Gods would have me to carry... my arms to do Their work... " etc....

When you are done, pour it out with an admonition to the water to take the "dirt" to ground and for the Earth to cleans it.

then I run another small bit of water and empower it with the blessing of the Powers That Be and use it to anoint myself with their blessings. Then I get dressed and use the left over water from this for my house plants.

It is amazing how much difference it makes for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine