Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:48 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times

Advertisements

Sitting here in what passes for cold in NC, in a drafty old house... with only a leaky heat-pump furnace which we do not use (a couple of winters ago we discovered WARM air pouring out from under the house through a foundation grate... and the thing sits too low to the ground to repair the holes in the ducting which the landlord would not do anyway...) has me thinking about all the old northern houses I have seen with small rooms. At its best, it put out luke cook air that really did nothing to warm the place (too drafty) but did eat electons (and $$) like mad.

This place has an area that is about 36 feet square that is broken up by halls and walls... but no doors on the doorways to speak of and multiple arches.

I have a couple of grill size propane bottles with heater tops and one of them can make the kitchen (which can only sort of be closed off) or my Craft room (which does have a door!) adequately warm. But despite my having carried the heater in while I had supper the dining room temp was 46 degrees (it is all of 28 outside). My studio is part of that large, more or less open area and while it has warmed a bit more than that 46, is still not toasty.

Looking at the temps in ME today, I have decided that those folks who built the small rooms had a good idea, especially if there is good insulation to go with them. I briefly rented a room in another drafty old house in WA state when I was just starting out on my current career and kept that room quite comfy with "just" the heat output of my two computers augmented by a couple of oil lamps and a candle or two. That old house had no vents to the upstairs and my landlord kept the stairway door closed to conserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 06:58 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Yep, I've been concerned about the small rooms I've been seeing up there. Now, I may shift my focus to finding a smaller built house! I guess we could all live in one room during the winter and only heat that little area.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:09 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
At one point I lived in an old farmhouse with 8 rooms built in early 1800's. In winter when all the visiting relatives were gone the upstairs rooms got closed off and only the 1st floor got heated. Saved a ton of $$$. Those old low ceilings may not be de rigeur but they don't waste as much heat!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:09 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
You don't need a smaller built house, you need a well built house. One that is wind tight goes a LONG ways. Mine has no insulation in most of the walls, but in order to know if the wind is blowing hard outside you have to look out a window. No drafts, so it heats better than you would think. A well insulated house with poor fitting windows and doors that let in the drafts, will kill you at the fuel tank come heating season. Look for tight closing doors (if you can rattle them, they are drafty) and tight sealing windows. You will notice most of the older houses in Maine have a door on every room, mine even has one at the bottom of the stairs, just so they could close off rooms they didn't use in the winter.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:19 PM

Maybe I should stop losing weight - I may be needing the extra insulation!!

Send me those whoopie pies!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:45 PM

You are so right! I saw an explanation on an energy saving site long ago that explained how wind pulls heat from a house through the cracks by making a vacuum that the warm air flows out to fill. (nature abhors a vacuum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You don't need a smaller built house, you need a well built house. One that is wind tight goes a LONG ways. Mine has no insulation in most of the walls, but in order to know if the wind is blowing hard outside you have to look out a window. No drafts, so it heats better than you would think. A well insulated house with poor fitting windows and doors that let in the drafts, will kill you at the fuel tank come heating season. Look for tight closing doors (if you can rattle them, they are drafty) and tight sealing windows. You will notice most of the older houses in Maine have a door on every room, mine even has one at the bottom of the stairs, just so they could close off rooms they didn't use in the winter.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:47 PM

Don't have any whoopie pies, but I will be glad to send you the 14 lbs I need to shed to reach my goal <g>

I broke the elusive 150 this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Maybe I should stop losing weight - I may be needing the extra insulation!!

Send me those whoopie pies!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:51 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I have been inside some of the smaller houses.

You have a woodstove in the center of the living room, a cleared ring around that and then chairs and things get cluttered everywhere.

To me a small house would 'close' in on me, during long cold weather months.

When we lived in Scotland, it was cold, but the houses had very high ceilings. Most kitchens had very high ceilings with a clothes line suspended by pulleys. Start up a coal and peat fire, and as the heat fills the upper air it dries your laundry.

Maybe it is just an old submariner talking but I want big rooms with high ceilings.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Don't have any whoopie pies, but I will be glad to send you the 14 lbs I need to shed to reach my goal <g>

I broke the elusive 150 this week!
Oh, good for you!! I'm proud of you - I know how hard it is.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:27 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
Most old farm houses have doors all over the place. You just close off all but the kitchen bath and maybe the parlor during the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: