Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:59 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

I grow a few things, and I sell at Farmer's Market. My level of production is not high enough to justify any farmhands. I do not clear enough profit to pay anyone to help us. I have my pension and my Dw works in town, that covers our expenses while we build our house / farm.

I have been approached by young adults seeking to work a summer apprenticeship on a farm. I have turned each of them away, as I simply do not produce enough, nor do I have any profit from which to pay them.

What circle you walk in, determines the people you see. I hang-out with people and organizations that encourage organic sustainable farming. So those are the people that I see.

There are people who refuse to consider physical labor jobs. There are people who dislike: black fly, heat, rain, mosquitoes, sunburn, and hard work that gets dirty. Some would rather play with their electronic devices, feign sickness, hang with friends, or go on vacation.

We live in a world with all sorts of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 10:16 AM

348 posts, read 416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Nope. Just expanding poultry operation up to 500 birds, and adding a pig operation of perhaps 100 head. The work is not grueling, stressful, or heavy. We need some gates opened, and some closed. Drive a tractor or ATV out to the field, and dump feed into a hopper. Check water valves. No manure-raking or anything especially dirty. Hours flexible. Opportunity to become full-time manager at better pay.

Let me tell you something: I would take a part-time job like this. I would. It's attitudes like MaineWriter mentioned, that keep Mainers in poverty. They can't see an opportunity handed to them on a silver platter!
When I was a kid, I lived on a small hobby farm in MO. Basically, my dad still had his day job in the city.
Our family called this kind of thing "My Chores". haha
Funny how things change. I know $10/hour doesn't sound like much, but it's definitely better than $0/hour!

-T.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:58 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
When I was a kid, I lived on a small hobby farm in MO. Basically, my dad still had his day job in the city.
Our family called this kind of thing "My Chores". haha
Funny how things change. I know $10/hour doesn't sound like much, but it's definitely better than $0/hour!
We are looking to expand a business. We are retired, and our pensions more than cover our expenses. I ran a trucking business prior to retirement, and although I am not sorry I retired, I have found that business just runs in my veins, and I definitely see an opportunity here, so I'm working on it. Just my nature! This has nothing to do with a hobby farm, or with "chores". I do those now!

And yes, I agree - $10 an hour is definitely better than $0 an hour! That's why I say, I would take this job in a New York minute. When opportunity knocks, I open the door!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I grow a few things, and I sell at Farmer's Market. My level of production is not high enough to justify any farmhands. I do not clear enough profit to pay anyone to help us. I have my pension and my Dw works in town, that covers our expenses while we build our house / farm.
I respect this. You've worked your years, and are due your retirement.

At 67, I am still too young to retire and just stay that way. For me, it has nothing to do with having enough to cover our expenses (although it does, very well). It's about the challenge, and I love it. To me, that's the zest that makes life worth living, makes it worthwhile to get up in the morning! For you, I'm sure, working on the house gives you great satisfaction, and that's what I'm talking about!

Old 02-03-2015, 01:56 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
Hell I might be interested in this come good weather and it's not too far for me (central Maine, lower Somerset County)!! Love working outdoors and doing physical stuff. $10 is $10 and we have benefits already. Maybe you could throw in a dozen eggs every month or so. We don't partake of the pig. I am no "youngster" though but can still do a lot of physical work.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Hell I might be interested in this come good weather and it's not too far for me (central Maine, lower Somerset County)!! Love working outdoors and doing physical stuff. $10 is $10 and we have benefits already. Maybe you could throw in a dozen eggs every month or so. We don't partake of the pig. I am no "youngster" though but can still do a lot of physical work.
You're hired!

Oh - forgot to mention: employees get all the eggs, plus some chicken, turkey, pork, and even some steaks that they wish! (Yeah, we'll be running a few bottle-fed calves, as well). How's that for a perk? You want eggs? You get your choice of hens, ducks, goose, and turkey eggs! Sure...stuff like that, we can do!

You've given me an idea, DauntlessDan: maybe we'll just hire folks over 40, esp retirees. Seems they have a better work ethic than the kids do. I'll br discussing this with the family...we may be onto something here!

Old 02-04-2015, 04:04 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Let me tell you something: I would take a part-time job like this. I would. It's attitudes like MaineWriter mentioned, that keep Mainers in poverty. They can't see an opportunity handed to them on a silver platter!
ehhhh....let's look at this from both sides. $200 a week without benefits isn't a silver platter. It's -15* right now. If I have to show up at work for $10 an hour to lug water, food and bedding to cold pigs (oh no, look at that injured pig...) because the water froze and the tractor won't start, that silver platter is a paper plate. Employers have to do their part to keep Mainers out of poverty. We all have to be able to make a living wage every week to stay out of poverty and $200 a week isn't going to do it.

$10/hr is a fair starting wage while someone's learning this kind of work. If it were truly as simple as opening some gates, checking water and collecting eggs that would be a little different but that's not the reality of farming.

Quote:
You've given me an idea, DauntlessDan: maybe we'll just hire folks over 40, esp retirees.
Age discrimination will get you in trouble.

When you get to the point of thinking about pasture rotation, poultry breeds, the downfalls of keeping turkeys year round and the small number of eggs they lay each year, and all that fun farm stuff I'd be happy to get together for coffee. I'm not that far away.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
When you get to the point of thinking about pasture rotation, poultry breeds, the downfalls of keeping turkeys year round and the small number of eggs they lay each year, and all that fun farm stuff I'd be happy to get together for coffee. I'm not that far away.
No, you're not, as I recall. And I'm sure I'd have much to learn from you, and from others.

I never said anything about frozen water lines or pig bedding. Our poultry breeds and pig breeds are already determined. But this is not a farm, nor is it about farming. It is a business, with a totally different business model. The job description would be strictly limited to what I posted previously. No need to worry about trucks or ATVs that don't start. No worries about sick livestock.

There's a very real danger in trying to second-guess someone else's plans. This is a turn-key business that I doubt has ever been tried in Maine before. The livestock is just incidental to it. If I were starting a farm, I'd be hard-pressed. It is too easy to jump from what I described, to envisioning a typical out-of-control ag scenario that we are all so familiar with. We are not getting into those headaches.

Look forward to seeing you over coffee someday! Thanks for the invite!

Old 02-04-2015, 07:36 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
It's not gonna be easy to get young people instate to do physical labor for ~10$ an hour. I'm not saying its impossible to find people, just that most people would not be okay with that unless they don't have any job currently and no prospects. And I can't say I blame them. It's 2015, a gallon of milk is almost $5, with a loaf of good bread.
Especially with roughly 20 hours.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:17 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
there are thousands of college aged kids that work in maine each summer, from Russia and other eastern countries

they come over to earn money to take home, so they can go to college

10 yrs ago I knew the contacts, I don't anymore but im sure they are online

the apprenticeship program forrest mentioned is a decent program,,

I met with the maine apprentice director to set up training centers in each county years ago,
if I remember correctly if you enter the program, the state may pay for 1/2 your wages for up to 6 months
but they also want the employer to pay for 2-3 college courses that pertain to the specific vocation

any business owner - should meet with these folks also, meet with the department of labor for what training programs are available

also,,

a business owner can advertise free on mainecareercenters.com

this is one of the best places to advertise

Old 02-05-2015, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
there are thousands of college aged kids that work in maine each summer, from Russia and other eastern countries

they come over to earn money to take home, so they can go to college

10 yrs ago I knew the contacts, I don't anymore but im sure they are online

the apprenticeship program forrest mentioned is a decent program,,

I met with the maine apprentice director to set up training centers in each county years ago,
if I remember correctly if you enter the program, the state may pay for 1/2 your wages for up to 6 months
but they also want the employer to pay for 2-3 college courses that pertain to the specific vocation

any business owner - should meet with these folks also, meet with the department of labor for what training programs are available

also,,

a business owner can advertise free on mainecareercenters.com

this is one of the best places to advertise
A BIG "Thanks" for such helpful info! Lots of folks are so quick to tell us why we "can't" do this, or "can't" do that...in my universe, the word "can't" doesn't exist. So thank you for informing us of a way that we CAN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine