Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:14 PM

9 posts, read 38,473 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
Long story short goes like this . We arw a family of 6 in central Illinois. We are interested in moving our farm to Maine. We raise pastured poultry,milk goats,grassfed beef, grassfed pork and eggs. We started this venture 5 years ago (before the big eat local movement) It has been very successful.
Why do we want to move you ask? We have lived our entire life in Illinois and we would like a change. We love winters and hate hot summers. We have several successful businesses and we are going to cash out and move on.
We are a homeschooling family and we sell raw milk. What does that have in common? We like Maines position on both of those issues. We have traveled many states and we love the New England area. We are very laid back and like the slower and back to the land lifestyle.
My questions are as follows; What areas would you look into? We direct market our products from the farm and at farmers markets. What are the better agriculture area in Maine? We are looking for 100-250 acres, with grassland for grazing and some wooded areas and possible some kind of water feature. It would be nice to find an old farm with a barn or 2 to get started. An old farmhouse would be fine. We will be paying cash up to $325k
Ask any questions you have and would love to hear everyones thoughts.

Todd
James Family Farm
Sherman,il
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 03:01 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
You're looking for cheap farmland near a city/town large enough to provide a market for your products. The acreage you want is easy to find in northern or eastern Maine, but they lack the population base you need. I know of a dairy farm for sale in Belfast, for example, that would be perfect for your needs, but the asking price is seven figures.

Suggestions:

Contact the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association (Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association) and talk to the director, Russ Libby, to see if any of their older members are looking for someone to buy them out who will promise not to turn their land into a subdivision.

The Maine Farmland Trust (Maine Farmland Trust - Home) works with farmers to protect their properties and sometimes helps connect prospective farmers with oldtimers looking to get out but keep their family farm intact.

I assume you are already looking at the listings in the traditional rural realty websites. Check for farms for sale in the Farmington area (within an hour of Augusta/Waterville but less development pressure right now) and around Fryeburg.

Or look farther north for farms near Bangor. Forest Beekeeper posts here and has an acreage north of Old Town. He might have some good leads for you.

Waldo County was the center of the homesteading movement back in the 1970s, it's gotten real pricey lately, as the Belfast farm indicates. Most folks are selling for development value these days, sad to say. Of course, the way the market has been moving lately, prices may start falling soon.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:33 PM

52 posts, read 204,631 times
aroostook county only has one dairy farmer, houlton farms dairy and I believe thats it, there is alot of land between bangor and there, and alot of towns. land is cheap, but there are alot of wooded areas up north. Most of Aroostook county is being lumber harvested and cleared and its a two hour ride from presque isle areea to bangor...may I ask where in ILL? my inlaws own a farm in irving, only 1500 acres and grow corn/beansect...they said this summer was horrid for crops as well

Old 08-07-2007, 07:35 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Coaster has some great advice....and personally I would love to see another family farm in Maine. Best of luck!!

Old 08-08-2007, 04:54 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljotis View Post
aroostook county only has one dairy farmer, houlton farms dairy and I believe thats it, there is alot of land between bangor and there, and alot of towns. land is cheap, but there are alot of wooded areas up north. Most of Aroostook county is being lumber harvested and cleared and its a two hour ride from presque isle areea to bangor...may I ask where in ILL? my inlaws own a farm in irving, only 1500 acres and grow corn/beansect...they said this summer was horrid for crops as well
WHAT??? One Dairy farmer in Aroostook County?? Man I have to go tell some people I know they need to find another line of work. I think you mean there is only one commercial dairy buyer and producer, and that would indeed be Houlton Farms Dairy. There are MANY small dairy farms. When I say small I mean under 100 head of cattle.

As for most of the County being lumber harvested - no. While most of the County is forested and held by lumber companies, there is only limited areas that are being cleared at any one time. Sure you can drive a bit and find a clear-cut area, it is not everywhere you look.

PI to Bangor is a bit over 2 hours, but it is a nice drive and, really, there isn't much to draw somebody to Banger.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:41 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
Thank you for the kind words, Molly.

The more family farms we can get in Maine, the more comfortable I would feel. The way oil supplies look right now, local food may be more important than anyone suspects in a (very) few years.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:35 PM

9 posts, read 38,473 times
Does anyone here frequent the farmers markets in your area? Are they busy?
Back to my original post, the area we seem to be most interested in is around
Belfast, any thoughts?
Todd

Old 08-08-2007, 02:00 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
we have a big organic farm here in Turner called Nezinscot Farm. They were a dairy farm selling to companies, then turned organic. I haven't shopped there but have been there several times, as used to buy hay there. They raise dairy cows, goats, turkeys, eggs, produce, ect. They have a store on the farm and it seems to be busy every time I go by.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:12 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
I go to the farmer's markets sometimes, but I also know some people who run veggie stands at their homes, so I do that most of the time . This is the first summer I haven't been to the farmer's market often...I think it just falls on a day when I'm really busy!

Old 08-08-2007, 03:04 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyfarmer View Post
My questions are as follows; What areas would you look into? We direct market our products from the farm and at farmers markets. What are the better agriculture area in Maine? We are looking for 100-250 acres, with grassland for grazing and some wooded areas and possible some kind of water feature. It would be nice to find an old farm with a barn or 2 to get started. An old farmhouse would be fine. We will be paying cash up to $325k
Ask any questions you have and would love to hear everyones thoughts.

Todd
James Family Farm
Sherman,il
I am a member of the Orono Farmer's Market.

Orono Farmers' Market Home page

I grew up in a heavy 'Ag' area, and came to Maine expecting to see more 'Ag'. It is rural, but just not 'Ag' so much.

I know a 345acre parcel near me is for sale, they are asking $350/acre. It is mostly wood lot, though I do think that it does have a major creek running across it and I know that it has some sphagnum moss peat fens.

You should be able to find an old farmhouse with attached diary barn setting on 200 acres, and for a good deal less than $325k.

I have no idea of how many dairys are in Penobscot county or Aroostook county. I do know two cheese makers who sale at market. They both milk goats and sheep. Their cheeses are made from mixtures of cow, goat and sheep milks. They buy all of their cow milk from other local small dairies, as they also buy some of the goat and sheep milk. So it would appear that there is a network of small dairies in the area.

I bought 42 acres of woodlot with 1/4 mile of riverfrontage, and I paid $900/acre. The woodlot across the road from me is 105 acres and it sold for $350/acre [they have no riverfrontage].

I would recommend that you look either: around Liberty / Unity, or West of Bangor, or North of Bangor. Smyrna is nice.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine