Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 04:15 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about purchasing a mobile home to make it easier for our dream of living in Maine to become a reality. The plan would be to sell our house here in NC, pay cash for a mobile home in Maine, and live in it for about a year. (I know we'd still pay a lot rent, but at least there wouldn't be a mortgage for a little while.) Then once we're settled and get familiar with the area we would purchase a house and either sell the mh or rent it out for added income. Does anyone know of a decent mobile home park in the Bangor or Rockland area? Or anywhere north of Portland for that matter. We've never lived in a mh before, so this would all be new to us. All you Mainers on this board are very helpful, and I'd really appreciate any help you could provide ! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 04:54 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
IMHO, you'd do much better to rent if you only intend to stay in the home a year or so. If you don't know anything else about MHs, know the most important thing - they lose value like cars and are very hard to re-sell, as they are very hard to get a mortgage on once they're used. My brother is in the business. He sells them and would never EVER buy one, he says.

We are going to lease a house for the first year or two when we move up in '08 so that we can get acclimated to the different areas fully before diving into a home purchase. I completely understand your logic. There is a huge difference between visiting a town and living in it, so we want to make sure we choose wisely before putting serious money into a home and don't end up choosing the wrong town for it's surface beauty.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:59 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
IMHO, you'd do much better to rent if you only intend to stay in the home a year or so. If you don't know anything else about MHs, know the most important thing - they lose value like cars and are very hard to re-sell, as they are very hard to get a mortgage on once they're used. My brother is in the business. He sells them and would never EVER buy one, he says.

We are going to lease a house for the first year or two when we move up in '08 so that we can get acclimated to the different areas fully before diving into a home purchase. I completely understand your logic. There is a huge difference between visiting a town and living in it, so we want to make sure we choose wisely before putting serious money into a home and don't end up choosing the wrong town for it's surface beauty.

well said, elcarim!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:26 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post

Thank you for your reply ! You have some good points. The reason we thought about buying a mobile home was because it would have allowed us not to pay rent or a mortgage. That way we could sock away more money (in addition to the profit of our house sale) towards buying a house. Since this will be our last move, we want to be able to buy just the right house in the nicest town. We'll definitely consider renting too though. I've found quite a few good options on craigslist. Thanks again and good luck with your trip to Maine! Can't wait to hear what your thoughts are when you return. Keep us posted!

Old 02-28-2007, 07:59 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
There are a couple of trailer parks in Alton [just North of Bangor].

Milford has one.

And I think that there is one in Orono near the UM campus.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:37 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,576,825 times
Dont buy a MH you will be saddled with it. We made the mistake in 95 and it took 3 years to sell it. the only reason it did sell was we put it on a piece of land

Old 02-28-2007, 10:51 PM

15 posts, read 72,056 times
Thumbs up maine making it a home

My husbands son is a banker for TD bank north up in Bangor We live near albany new york. Buying a trailer is not the most profitable thing too do. The bank wants too see if you can pay the mortgage whether it be renting a place as long as you show them consistency. What you need too prove is that you have the responsibilty too pay. Of course save your money you were going too place on a mobile home and place it in the bank in which you will be writing your mortgage with or not others may fight too sell you a great deal any ways good luck enjoy maine....

Old 03-01-2007, 05:50 PM

59 posts, read 265,839 times
Birch Hill estates in Bangor is very nice and there is also a nice one on Essex St on Bangor. Not sure about the Rockland area.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:55 PM

59 posts, read 265,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt4fam View Post
We are thinking about purchasing a mobile home to make it easier for our dream of living in Maine to become a reality. The plan would be to sell our house here in NC, pay cash for a mobile home in Maine, and live in it for about a year. (I know we'd still pay a lot rent, but at least there wouldn't be a mortgage for a little while.) Then once we're settled and get familiar with the area we would purchase a house and either sell the mh or rent it out for added income. Does anyone know of a decent mobile home park in the Bangor or Rockland area? Or anywhere north of Portland for that matter. We've never lived in a mh before, so this would all be new to us. All you Mainers on this board are very helpful, and I'd really appreciate any help you could provide ! Thank you!
Don't forget the lot rent fee's , some are very steep. Have you considered buying a piece of land. putting a used trailer on it and building your home on the property. Big initial expense for septic and well but they would also be in place for your home.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:08 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan View Post
Don't forget the lot rent fee's , some are very steep. Have you considered buying a piece of land. putting a used trailer on it and building your home on the property. Big initial expense for septic and well but they would also be in place for your home.
Driving around I see this option a lot.

Folks buy land, drop in a well, septic, power, phone, and park a trailer.

Then later they can add a barn, garage, and even build a roof over the trailer with front and back porches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine