Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:40 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strichmo View Post
After a busy week, I have a house, the furniture has arrived, and the sea poodle and I are off to the Big Chicken Barn over Ellsworth way for a literary break from the unpacking. I also had a job interview at the Bank of America call center here in Belfast. They're looking for 30 night-shifters and the group I interviewed with was only seven. It sounds like a really fabulous place to work and is only a couple miles from home. A lot better than my 45 minute commute when I lived in Arizona.

Settling in is always fun, if sometimes challenging. But, hey, I'm in Maine --- what more can I ask.

Thanks again for all your advice and support. I hope to be able to give some of that back soon. I won't have Internet service at home for another couple of weeks; Time Warner is apparently notoriously slow. But the Belfast Harbor Inn folks have graciously offered me the use of their WIFI whenever I need it. More lovely Maine people.

Happy Super Bowl Sunday. Go Pats --- and I'm not even a football fan.

Stephen
Hi!

I don't know you, but I'm really happy for you! Glad everything is working out. Enjoy Maine and all it has to offer. Hopefully my family and I will be in the same boat soon enough. Take care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 09:40 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
The Big Chicken Barn is the BOMB!! I haven't been there in a few years... I love the place! I'm so glad things are falling into place for you Stephen! Hug the Sea Poodle for me.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:22 AM

259 posts, read 704,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Hi!

I don't know you, but I'm really happy for you! Glad everything is working out. Enjoy Maine and all it has to offer. Hopefully my family and I will be in the same boat soon enough. Take care!
Same here!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:55 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
I wish I were there, too. Good to know you are there and you appreciate the air up there, too. There's nothing quite like it.

Congrats!

Old 02-03-2008, 02:15 PM

612 posts, read 1,216,333 times
DH and me are happy for you Stephen.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:34 PM

380 posts, read 1,178,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Oh this is wonderful news Stephen!! Reminds me of "Travels With Charlie". Thank you so much for the update.
My favorite favorite favorite book. Everyone should read it. Steinbeck traveled to Deer Isle before heading west, as he was told that he absolutely could not miss it on his trip to get to know his big country. It may have been his description that planted the idea of Maine in my mind to begin with.

Congrats on the big move strichmo! I'm looking into the Belfast area (as well as Down East), so I look forward to hearing of your adventures!

Old 02-04-2008, 07:21 AM

48 posts, read 101,762 times
Default Again and always ...

thank you all for your gracious good wishes. I so appreciate and enjoy them.

Depending on the weather (snow and wintry mix are predicted) I may not get back to the Internet for a couple of days. But the Sea Poodle and I are off to Rockland and Camden for a bit of business and a lot of pleasure at the Owl and Turtle Bookstore and probably ABCDEF as well. Then to Wal-Mart in Rockland and home to coziness and more unpacking. The books are mostly on the shelves but in dire need of organization.

Things are good at the moment. I hope all of you who are longing for Maine get here soon and, even though we don't know each other, when you arrive and come by Belfast, let me know so I can have you in for tea. If nothing else, and I suspect there are many other common factors, we love this place and I look forward to sharing its wonders with you.

Time to head on to Rockland/Camden.

Stephen

Old 02-04-2008, 08:36 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
thank you all for your gracious good wishes. I so appreciate and enjoy them.

Depending on the weather (snow and wintry mix are predicted) I may not get back to the Internet for a couple of days. But the Sea Poodle and I are off to Rockland and Camden for a bit of business and a lot of pleasure at the Owl and Turtle Bookstore and probably ABCDEF as well. Then to Wal-Mart in Rockland and home to coziness and more unpacking. The books are mostly on the shelves but in dire need of organization.

Things are good at the moment. I hope all of you who are longing for Maine get here soon and, even though we don't know each other, when you arrive and come by Belfast, let me know so I can have you in for tea. If nothing else, and I suspect there are many other common factors, we love this place and I look forward to sharing its wonders with you.

Time to head on to Rockland/Camden.

Stephen
Dear Stephen,

Congratulations on your triumphant journey to Belfast! I have taken heart and lived vicariously by reading of your adventure. Thank you for sharing. We are also planning our move to Maine and having to practice the greatest amount of patience and forebearance....as houses become anchors that impede our progress...when it comes to selling and moving!

I look forward to hearing more about your adventures; I don't know you, but "the mystery is that we are all connected, even when we feel so very far apart."

elston

Old 02-04-2008, 10:04 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Dear Stephen,

I look forward to hearing more about your adventures; I don't know you, but "the mystery is that we are all connected, even when we feel so very far apart."

elston
You said it, Elston!

Old 02-04-2008, 01:40 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
After a busy week, ...

... I won't have Internet service at home for another couple of weeks; Time Warner is apparently notoriously slow. But the Belfast Harbor Inn folks have graciously offered me the use of their WIFI whenever I need it. More lovely Maine people.
Many large corporations jumped on that five years ago.

Walmart, McD's, Hampton Inn and Suites, most truck stops, etc, all of their locations are Wifi hotspots. There are also a few different WWW sites that show maps of Wifi hotspots in area zipcode.

I was amazed that even out here in Argyle, we have a Wifi hotspot near us. Not in Argyle but in a neighboring township and the radius of it is very near to the township border.

Of course I have Wifi in our home, but it does not extend outside of our walls.

Welcome to Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine