Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 09:42 PM

9 posts, read 40,446 times

Advertisements

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY INFO ON BROWNVILLE JUNCTION AND IF THIS IS A GOOD AREA FOR A FAMILY THAT IS AFFORDABLE OR ANY OTHER AREAS IN MAINE THAT IS FAIRLY REASONABLE ON HOUSING PRICES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 01:14 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
Brownville is in the middle of nowhere Real estate is cheap by you have to drive 50 miles to get to a decent size town. No real economy just small mom and pop type businesess.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:27 AM

9 posts, read 40,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
Brownville is in the middle of nowhere Real estate is cheap by you have to drive 50 miles to get to a decent size town. No real economy just small mom and pop type businesess.
THANKS DO YOU KNOW OF ANY OTHER AREAS THAT ARE FAIRLY REASONABLE BUT SAFE AND GOOD TO RAISE A FAMILY IN I HAVE A 7 YR OLD AND WANT TO BE IN A DECENT NICE AREA

Old 11-16-2006, 01:32 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
The Bangor area is decent good schools low crime affordable housing etc

Old 01-19-2008, 10:10 AM

113 posts, read 342,163 times
Default Maine towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbaker View Post
CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY INFO ON BROWNVILLE JUNCTION AND IF THIS IS A GOOD AREA FOR A FAMILY THAT IS AFFORDABLE OR ANY OTHER AREAS IN MAINE THAT IS FAIRLY REASONABLE ON HOUSING PRICES.
Most Maine towns are pretty good.

If I were to raise kids again I'll tell you what I wouldent do. I wouldent raise them in the citys, Maine's or elsewere. Forinstance L/A area? Go to Minot , Mechanic Falls , Green ect.

However towns like Hallowell , Topsham , Ellsworth might be called citys but are more like small town U.S.A.

For quality of life Maine is hard to beat. Your challenge will be Career Advancment!

You got to have experence JUST to wash dishes in Maine!!!
You got to wait for someone to die or retire just to get a saught after job.
You got to know somebody just to be consitered for that job.
Yes Jobs are the problem.
Also one more thing, your kids will love growing up in Maine after they are grown and have moved away , ( so they can get good jobs ). They will look back on childhood fondly and wish they could give their own kids a good childhood as they had in Maine, if only they could get a decient job there.

NAFTA / CAFTA ANYONE?

Old 01-19-2008, 10:26 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
I'm in Milo. Right next to Brownville Junction. Housing is affordable. Quality of life is great. Jobs may be scarce. There are those of us that love it here. It is an hours drive to Bangor but there is shopping in Dover-Foxcroft as well as great smaller grocers in the area. It depends what you require to be comfortable. Here's a link to the local paper (little weekly paper) that will give you a little insight into the town. On the left you'll find a link to the region maps.
Three Rivers Community of Maine (there is life up here)
what type of work are you looking for?

Last edited by msina; 01-19-2008 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-19-2008, 10:51 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
msina, im glad you posted what you did!! from someone that knows what they are talking about!!(that actually lives right outside of brownville junction)

ive been to and thru brownville junction often,,i think its a wonderful little town out in the country, if you value wide open spaces, and privacy, its a nice little town!!

the town is also on a main road to millinocket, very very scenic!!

Old 01-19-2008, 12:00 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
Thanks MBM,... I really do like it here. There's a sense of belonging in the community. This is a very welcoming area, jobs are something you have to consider but, I do see differant opportunities depending on what you're looking for. If you want to work at a store, I know of some positions that don't pay badly for the area. Medical staff is always in demand. GOOD, dependable cooks are also paid decently at some of the local places. schools are wonderful.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:28 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,941 times
Interesting link, msina!
Looks like a nice community with a sense of pride.

(Seems to be a high number of obituaries- In Memorium though)

Old 05-16-2010, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,782 times
Brownville is a good place to live. The listed home prices if viewed from away from Maine are highly inflated. If you have about twenty to thirty thousand dollars you can choose from about two dozen homes to buy now. The truth is that the high price is about fifty nine thousand. Unless your looking at lake front. The taxes are low but water and sewer are about twice the cost of the taxes. The safety is good here. As for Jobs, there are probably enough jobs for six people only here in town if anyone could be so lucky.
The grade school is very good. The homes are in the hundred year old range needing handyman updates. If you are used to driveing thirty miles to find a big mac or fifty miles to Kentucky chicken then it should be no problem. Half hour after sun down the streets are
free of anyone outside. Gasoline is typical price range here and it would cost about ten dollars in gas to drive to get a Duncan Donut. The air and water are clean, and the country liveing is for real and not for anyone that can not deal with doing what it takes to maintain a home,vehicle,heat, and true country style living. Winters are not too bad if you know how to keep your vehicle going or are OK with roughing it as a normal way of living.
So yes Brownville is a good place to live if you can accept that there will be no fast lane life here for many years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine