Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:00 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times

Advertisements

My wife and I got married at Portland head light. It was beautifull. You can rent the gazebo for a little more than small donation. You then have access to hotels in the portland area for your reception. We had our recpetion at the marriot...Half of everyone was coming from out of state so it made it real easy and comfortable. It did not have the small town inn feel but since a lot of our guests were coming from out of state and had never been to Maine it gave them access to a lot of different things. I can post some photo's if you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,082 times
Children's Chapel in Rockport...many B&Bs and restaurants available in the area. I bet Sugarloaf Mountain would be beautiful in the fall or the Moosehead Lake area.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:30 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
I performed a marriage once for friends at a little lodge on a lake up near Lovell Maine. (Way away from everything so I am not recommending it for you) but the wedding was memorable. There was a pretty grove of large pine trees on the grassy area up above a lake that looked across to Mt Washington. The inn keepers had an arbor set up for the exchange of vows and it was bedecked with flowers. It had been raining the night before the ceremony and even the morning was still a bit wet. Just before the service the sun broke out and the view was magnificent. As the couple came to the bower, a rainbow broke out over the lake framing Mt Washington and actual honest to god hummingbirds started sipping nectar from the flowers on the bower. Such good omens....rainbow and sun on the dewy fresh pines, and hummingbirds darting over head. It was really lovely.

I did another wedding on the sand at Ferry Beach, at day break. Just the wedding couple and a good friend and myself--that too was a very special and personal moment--the bride in a wedding gown, the groom more casual and then champagne and "greek style" dancing (Miserlou) at the tide line; then back to the parents home for a brunch and reception.

Last edited by elston; 02-04-2008 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: additional thoughts

Old 02-04-2008, 12:42 PM

263 posts, read 616,491 times
Vesper Hill Children Chapel in Rockport is Beautiful.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:01 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Also might want to consider Popham Beach, Phippsburg. My DH and I were married there, also a sunset service.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:27 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Thank you so much to all. It's giving me a lot of ideas and a lot more places to research !

Old 02-04-2008, 02:06 PM

37,466 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I got engaged in October and we would like to elope to New England in 2009 ,as it is one of our favourite places on earth.

I would be really grateful for any suggestions for wonderful places to Wed, ideally a really pretty village or town which would look stunning in October, with a really good and very special restaurant for a wedding lunch/dinner and Inn to stay in.

I am starting to get ideas from Friends and on the Net but would appreciate as many suggestions as possible.
Thank you for your help.
Congratulations on your engagement and up-coming wedding.

There are many wonderful locations in Maine.

When a wedding is over and the years go by; what you really have to remember it by is the photographs.

I have done hilltop weddings at sun-rise, it seemed like a good idea, but the photos did not work out.

One at a city park with a large pond and the wedding party on a small grassy peninsula. As soon as the vows were said everyone turned around and faced the congregation for photos, with the fog flowing in off the pond all around us. Great photos that morning!

A few times in a centuries old Congregational church with a pipe organ that shook the chapel.

A chartered sailboat sailing up any of the rivers with the water and foliage behind you, could be very nice for photos.

It depends a lot on the size of the wedding party and how many guests.

Many places are accessible by canoe.

I know there are always the wedding chapels, and churches are everywhere. A hall can be rented, or restaurant. And you still walk away with photos.

I am certain that no matter where you decide, you will have a wonderful day.

One thing though; even the best planned event will always have some minor slip-up. A minister may trip over pronouncing a last name, or one of your ladies may pass-out during the ceremony, or a ring gets lost, or in the excitement we forget to have everyone to sign the certificate and folks end up doing it following day, etc [all things that I have seen]. It is not the end of the world. Life goes on, and it is still a wonderful day. It is a wonderful day because it is your wedding day.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:44 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
I was at a wedding where the best man passed out and fell straight over backwards during the ceremony--timber; it was scarey as he smacked the back of his head really hard. I guess there is something about standing straight for too long without shifting that can cramp an artery and reduce blood flow to the brain....thats what I heard. It was a long wedding with a communion ceremony included so the grooms men had been up front and center for a goodly while.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:02 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
pemaquid light-house, you can drive right to it,,,its one of the most beautiful spots in maine, its about 1,5 hours north along the coast from portland

Old 02-04-2008, 04:42 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
You'll have to excuse my lack of imagination, but as fast as possbile is the way to go - small town city hall, have the justice say his bit and get to the honeymoon stuff straight away. You have the rest of your lives to make memories for the scrap book and pose for awesome pictures.

Congratulations on your engagement. After you say "I do." is when the fun really starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine