Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 05:00 AM

19 posts, read 25,690 times

Advertisements

Well folks, the 3 year, 30,000 mile search is over. The process is complete. I own a home in Maine! A beautiful, modern (1983) 4br 2ba nearly 2000 sq. ft. private retreat. Waterfront too, with acreage! The stream behind my new home is truly spectacular. Not a babbling brook here... It is more like a wild river, not sure exactly but it must be 200 feet wide and there are rapids visible (and audible), right outside my kitchen window! I am ecstatic! I found it almost by accident, as I was attracted to the area initially by a FSBO farm in nearby Monson.

We're gonna be neighbors namder1!!! I will be looking for someone to help out on the property come spring. Looking for a man (or woman) with a truck. Some carpentry skills would be a big plus. DM me if you are interested or if you know someone locally who could use some part-time work.

Home prices are astonishingly low in Central Maine. I mean almost beyond belief low. In Maine I have total privacy. 360 degrees. I do have a couple of neighbors nearby but cannot see them as the house is located several hundred feet from the main road. Sets high on a hill overlooking the water so no flood potential. Southern exposure, room for gardens, a greenhouse perhaps, I cannot wait until spring! All this for $128K!!! Taxes are $1500 a year!!! Here, in the lower Hudson Valley, I am about 85 miles north of NYC, a similar home would run $225K-$250K, easily, without waterfront and our lots are typically much smaller. My NY home is 3br 2ba 1500 sq. ft. on 1/4 acre. Taxes are $7800 a year. Neighbors all around.

I want to thank everyone who contributes to this board. What a wealth of valuable information on here! In particular, I want to thank Mainiac, Submariner and Northern Maine Land Man for their illuminating, sometimes controversial, intellectually provocative and highly entertaining posts. I hope to contribute more frequently myself, as I gradually make the transition from NY to Maine.

By the way, does anyone know how close to the stream I can build a road? I know I have to have a 75' wide buffer zone for structures but what about road building? Ideally, to access the wooded acreage, I would like to cut a road near the hill overlooking the stream. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 05:07 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notaliberal View Post
Well folks, the 3 year, 30,000 mile search is over. The process is complete. I own a home in Maine! A beautiful, modern (1983) 4br 2ba nearly 2000 sq. ft. private retreat. Waterfront too, with acreage! The stream behind my new home is truly spectacular. Not a babbling brook here... It is more like a wild river, not sure exactly but it must be 200 feet wide and there are rapids visible (and audible), right outside my kitchen window! I am ecstatic! I found it almost by accident, as I was attracted to the area initially by a FSBO farm in nearby Monson.

We're gonna be neighbors namder1!!! I will be looking for someone to help out on the property come spring. Looking for a man (or woman) with a truck. Some carpentry skills would be a big plus. DM me if you are interested or if you know someone locally who could use some part-time work.

Home prices are astonishingly low in Central Maine. I mean almost beyond belief low. In Maine I have total privacy. 360 degrees. I do have a couple of neighbors nearby but cannot see them as the house is located several hundred feet from the main road. Sets high on a hill overlooking the water so no flood potential. Southern exposure, room for gardens, a greenhouse perhaps, I cannot wait until spring! All this for $128K!!! Taxes are $1500 a year!!! Here, in the lower Hudson Valley, I am about 85 miles north of NYC, a similar home would run $225K-$250K, easily, without waterfront and our lots are typically much smaller. My NY home is 3br 2ba 1500 sq. ft. on 1/4 acre. Taxes are $7800 a year. Neighbors all around.

I want to thank everyone who contributes to this board. What a wealth of valuable information on here! In particular, I want to thank Mainiac, Submariner and Northern Maine Land Man for their illuminating, sometimes controversial, intellectually provocative and highly entertaining posts. I hope to contribute more frequently myself, as I gradually make the transition from NY to Maine.

By the way, does anyone know how close to the stream I can build a road? I know I have to have a 75' wide buffer zone for structures but what about road building? Ideally, to access the wooded acreage, I would like to cut a road near the hill overlooking the stream. Thanks in advance.

You should contact your local planning board for your towns shoreland information. Congrats on your home.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:46 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,312 times
Congratulations from another long searching new Maine home owner.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:18 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,322 times
Great staging location for forays northerly. I know every square inch north, west and east of abbot as far as 202, Baker Lake and Schoodic. I can still spend weeks just tooling around drowning night crawlers and frothing up things with flies. My last plan, interrupted by life, was to put a 38' done-up lobster boat on Moosehead, rigged with out and downriggers, camping gear and all the comforts of home. With 40 mile of lake, you can entertain yourself for the whole summer up there. It's been 55 years since Pa and I went to the inlet of Shirley Bog and slayed the brookies.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:04 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
"a greenhouse perhaps,"

Don't build a typical Hudson Valley greenhouse. It will collapse from the snow. True south for you in Abbott is about 162 deg magnetic. You want your greenhouse to be centered toward true south for maximum solar gain.

Since you are about 45 degrees north latitude your sun will vary from 22 degrees elevation on December 21 to 68 degrees elevation at noon standard time on June 21. Your greenhouse roof should be about 53 degrees from horizontal to optimize your sun during our growing season.

Pull snow off your greenhouse with a soft broom.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:28 PM

810 posts, read 852,020 times
Congrats and how very exciting for you
. Good luck nd post a few pictures for us.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:52 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,301,068 times
Congratulations on Your New Home !!

Old 02-17-2016, 09:21 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Whoops. True north is 018 degrees magnetic and true south is 198 degrees magnetic. Sorry. I had a brain cramp after a long day.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:09 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,322 times
Actually, the declination for Abbot is 16 degrees, 14' West, changing a little every year.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:00 PM

19 posts, read 25,690 times
Thanks for the clarification, guys, point well taken about snow load, NMLM. I do not anticipate building any permanent greenhouse structure, at least not right away. I have built a few cattle panel structures in NY. They work extremely well down here, extend our growing season a full month at least. In Maine I suppose I would need to add a horizontal beam with some vertical support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine