Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 08:22 AM

63 posts, read 64,096 times

Advertisements

Simple question with maybe not a simple answer

Restaurant waitstaff used to get a low wage with (hopefully) added tips to increase take-home to a reasonable level. I usually included a 20% tip if service was satisfactory

Now restaurants are going to pay $9+ minimum wage to their waitstaff and increase the price of their meals. Is the expectation that we should continue to tip (perhaps as much as the expected 20%)?

Do we decrease our tips or eliminate them altogether?

Basically, on a fixed income, I'm going to not eat out if I have to cover the increased staff wages (through increased meal costs) plus tips

What are you folks goi8ng to do?

(I don't want to open a discussion about the minimum wage itself, I just want to discuss the new era of tipping)

Last edited by LarryLogger; 01-23-2017 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 12:00 PM

3,693 posts, read 7,461,680 times
Your tipping strategy should not change. A server's tips count as a credit towards the minimum wage to a maximum of $4.00 per hour. The employer would then make up the difference of $5.00 per hour. Tips in excess of the $4.00 per hour are retained by the server. The previous limits were $3.75 and $3.75.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:07 PM

3,471 posts, read 7,267,301 times
They won't be making the full minimum wage for a while yet.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:31 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,874,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Your tipping strategy should not change. A server's tips count as a credit towards the minimum wage to a maximum of $4.00 per hour. The employer would then make up the difference of $5.00 per hour. Tips in excess of the $4.00 per hour are retained by the server. The previous limits were $3.75 and $3.75.
You need to read up on the new Min wage law, The tip credit is going away.

Personally I am planning to cut back on tipping to somewhere between 10% and 12% once the min reaches $10.00 next year, This year I'm going back to 15%.

RR

Old 01-23-2017, 05:40 PM

3,471 posts, read 7,267,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
You need to read up on the new Min wage law, The tip credit is going away.

Personally I am planning to cut back on tipping to somewhere between 10% and 12% once the min reaches $10.00 next year, This year I'm going back to 15%.

RR
My brother is a bartender, and I have a lot of friends that are waitstaff. They were not for this new law. It felt good, but it has unintended consequences. The tipping will diminish as they make more.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:11 PM

19,975 posts, read 30,332,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
My brother is a bartender, and I have a lot of friends that are waitstaff. They were not for this new law. It felt good, but it has unintended consequences. The tipping will diminish as they make more.
the law sounded to me that they wanted the servers to document a higher rate of pay so they could tax it,,,they couldnt tax the cash tips

some lady's make hundreds of dollars on tips,,,,this new law will hurt them

Old 01-23-2017, 11:20 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,960,686 times
I don't think I'll change my tipping habits. 20-25% is our norm. Breakfast and lunch, usually - with an occasional fancy dinner won't kill us. We enjoy leaving a good tip.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:45 AM

63 posts, read 64,096 times
My tipping strategy is going to change. If the restaurant increases the menu prices to cover additional costs of employee wages, then two results may occur: (1) if not enough people dine in the restaurant, employees may be laid off and (2) diners will decrease their level of tipping

I'm on a fixed income and no one is raising it this year (I can hope interest rates go up on my savings, while going down on my loans . I've always generously tipped because part of the waiter's take-home was based on tips. Now the government has forced employers to raise the minimum wage.

So, while tips might be desired and align with pre-minimum-wage conditions, reality is that tipping is going to drecrease and maybe become significantly less. I'm already down to 10% from my normal 20%, but I notice the meal check (for the EXACT same meal) is now the same

Old 01-24-2017, 05:14 AM

16,744 posts, read 15,778,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLogger View Post
My tipping strategy is going to change. If the restaurant increases the menu prices to cover additional costs of employee wages, then two results may occur: (1) if not enough people dine in the restaurant, employees may be laid off and (2) diners will decrease their level of tipping

I'm on a fixed income and no one is raising it this year (I can hope interest rates go up on my savings, while going down on my loans . I've always generously tipped because part of the waiter's take-home was based on tips. Now the government has forced employers to raise the minimum wage.

So, while tips might be desired and align with pre-minimum-wage conditions, reality is that tipping is going to drecrease and maybe become significantly less. I'm already down to 10% from my normal 20%, but I notice the meal check (for the EXACT same meal) is now the same
Now the government has forced employers to raise the minimum wage??? I don't think so.

The voters of Maine did that themselves via referendum. It looked like some of the government tried to keep it from happening.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:36 AM

565 posts, read 939,736 times
Just remember, unless you never go back to the restaraunt again, leaving a sub standard tip, even though you got good service will ensure you get substandard service forever. My dw works part time as a server, the cheap people that dont tip or tip way less than they should are very easy to remember, especially in small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine