Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 03:13 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
Yes, to start. Many companies have a starting wage above the minimum so that they can attract quality applicants.
Did you read the link I posted? Pretty sure new hire's are on a probation period before they make $10.58.But LL. Bean sounds like a great place for a retiree to work if they are on a budget and need money don't ya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 07:57 AM

428 posts, read 554,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Did you read the link I posted? Pretty sure new hire's are on a probation period before they make $10.58.But LL. Bean sounds like a great place for a retiree to work if they are on a budget and need money don't ya think?
I read the link and it says nothing about requiring an employee to work for minimum wage during a "probationary" period. I am a retiree and while I don't work for Bean I do work for one of their competitors. I started at $11/hr. No Minimum Wage, No probationary period. I suspect Bean.s policy is similar.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:52 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The Maine electorate passed this increase in Minimum-Wage, so I suppose they must be the 'out of touch upper class'. As a low-income retiree I am not sure who this upper class is who you think passed this bill.
What I wrote had nothing to do with the electorate vote. Go back a few pages and read up to see what I meant.

(It is about the gap between rich and poor)

Last edited by StuartGotts; 01-31-2017 at 09:59 AM..

Old 01-31-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
I read the link and it says nothing about requiring an employee to work for minimum wage during a "probationary" period. I am a retiree and while I don't work for Bean I do work for one of their competitors. I started at $11/hr. No Minimum Wage, No probationary period. I suspect Bean.s policy is similar.

What company would that be?You are correct and companies do not have to pay min wage if someone wants to pay more for good employees I am all for it ,that's not what the thread is about.
The link was more towards the OP and what the restaurant could have done.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
What company would that be?You are correct and companies do not have to pay min wage if someone wants to pay more for good employees I am all for it ,that's not what the thread is about.
The link was more towards the OP and what the restaurant could have done.
Sorry got the threads mixed up.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:54 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The Maine electorate passed this increase in Minimum-Wage, so I suppose they must be the 'out of touch upper class'. As a low-income retiree I am not sure who this upper class is who you think passed this bill.
Just because they aren't upper class doesn't mean they aren't out of touch. Most people are stupid when it comes to economics and that is why things like this pass. If people actually realized the impact, they would stop voting against their self-interests.

Minimum wage increases ONLY help some of the people who already make minimum wage. It hurts everyone else. It hurts people who make more than minimum wage, because it reduces their purchasing power and drags them closer to minimum wage. It hurts people who aren't employed by making it more difficult to find employment. And it even hurts some people who already are making minimum wage because they will lose their jobs due to the increase.

Helping out the "less fortunate" is not a bad thing, but there are much better ways to do it - ways that don't negatively affect EVERYONE ELSE (including people that are supposed to be helped)...

Old 02-01-2017, 03:51 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
One of our sons worked the phones at LL Bean a couple of Christmas seasons when he was in college. He had camped all his life and canoed most of Maine's large rivers. He had raced sled dog teams and knew cold weather gear. He was a very good salesman. They wanted to hire him full time, but he wanted to be a surveyor. They did raise his pay because he was good at it and had tactical experience. When employers can do that their whole enterprise is more efficient and profitable.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Just because they aren't upper class doesn't mean they aren't out of touch. Most people are stupid when it comes to economics and that is why things like this pass. If people actually realized the impact, they would stop voting against their self-interests.

Minimum wage increases ONLY help some of the people who already make minimum wage. It hurts everyone else. It hurts people who make more than minimum wage, because it reduces their purchasing power and drags them closer to minimum wage. It hurts people who aren't employed by making it more difficult to find employment. And it even hurts some people who already are making minimum wage because they will lose their jobs due to the increase.

MW increase doesn't"hurt everyone else"people need to adjust.Business are still going to need employees and still need to sell their product.If people are unemployed then what difference does it make,you can't find work at $7.50 and you can't find work at $9.00.What is actually sad is you say it hurts people making MW already becuase they will lose their job and this is a bold face lie,your assumption that every business will close to to an increase in the NW is wrong.Don't blame the MW for people who can't run a business or for business's that want to down size but are looking for an exscuse so as not to hurt public relations.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-01-2017 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: Added missing quote tag

Old 02-01-2017, 07:01 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
... MW increase doesn't"hurt everyone else"people need to adjust.
Sure it does, it hurts everyone earning less.

Quote:
... Business are still going to need employees and still need to sell their product.If people are unemployed then what difference does it make,you can't find work at $7.50 and you can't find work at $9.00.What is actually sad is you say it hurts people making MW already becuase they will lose their job and this is a bold face lie,your assumption that every business will close to to an increase in the NW is wrong.Don't blame the MW for people who can't run a business or for business's that want to down size but are looking for an exscuse so as not to hurt public relations.
Clearly you are not a business owner.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:43 AM

428 posts, read 554,200 times
Quote:
MW increase doesn't"hurt everyone else"people need to adjust.Business are still going to need employees and still need to sell their product.If people are unemployed then what difference does it make,you can't find work at $7.50 and you can't find work at $9.00.What is actually sad is you say it hurts people making MW already becuase they will lose their job and this is a bold face lie,your assumption that every business will close to to an increase in the NW is wrong.Don't blame the MW for people who can't run a business or for business's that want to down size but are looking for an exscuse so as not to hurt public relations.
Not all buinesses need employees. The fast food industry has been exploring automation for some time now. When labor costs become too high, automation at the fast food counter will look a lot more attractive. Same with low skill manufacturing jobs. Businesses don't need to sell their products. If they can't make a reasonable profit, they will close. Given the choice between running a business at a loss, and investing in a mutual fund earning an average return of 6%, where would you put your money. Th poster you quoted made no assumption that every business will close due to an increase in MW. As I said before, you clearly have reading comprehension problems. Businesses don't need excuses for downsizing. Downsizing occurs because of financial issues such as rising costs, lower revenue, etc. Public relations have nothing to do with it. I would suggest you take a course in microeconomics in addition to reading comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine