Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:37 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Boy..........you have me very confused...........I just called the city hall and reconfirmed what I already new to be true.

The excise tax you pay on your vehicle is based on it's sticker price..or (MSRP)....where ever they get that I do not know blue book, yellow book, from the buyer of a new car?? and that is the "VALUE" they use for the life of the car.....does not matter how old the car was or is

the mil rate has 6 levels (it drops each year based on the factory year of vehicle) on the 6th and final level the mil rate applied to the origional NEW car value is then fixed for life because that is the final mil rate(.0040)

so if you are paying $5 then your vehicle when it was new.....the MSRP was $1250 so something doesn't add up to me anyways. $5/.0040=$1250
I do not doubt what you are saying.

I have the receipt from the DMV, for my excise taxes and registration right here.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:43 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I do not doubt what you are saying.

I have the receipt from the DMV, for my excise taxes and registration right here.

do not tell me its another loop hole for you unorganized folks

P.S. burn the receipt

Old 03-04-2008, 02:45 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
I was a police officer for a number of years......when our stubs came in they sat in large drawer and you would thumb threw them looking at what everyones making..and who was getting Over Time ect

I remember my mother, who worked in the private sector and before she retired, talking about how no one knew what each other made or what raises they got. So my experiences were very foreign to her.

I tend to be pretty open with friends and family........maybe too open.......Lifes a game for me...not a competition...if I can help someone else out with advise I will....and if I can get advise...I am ALWAYS receptive and open to learn new things. I guess though posting too much on a "PUBLIC" forum could come back.

Sorry to hear your one of the ones paying the high taxes Maine has to offer Maybe I should say thank you! but I not far behind you
I'm like you. I had no trouble posting all of our "numbers" on the forum. For me to complain about high taxes really makes no sense to someone who pays $700-$800 until you see we pay $4100 on 2.5 acres. We do have a son in high school so we use the schools and the town plows the road, add the police and fire and that's it. We pay for trash pick up, we have a well and our own septic system. I wanted to put the whole thing in prospective so I added some things my wife objected to. TMI (too much information) as she put it. We choose to live where we live so I shouldn't complain.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:58 PM

Well.....the thread is about taxes so i tried to stick with that......credits cards........even CMP are all variables......

I just did my budget for next winter, this winter was so hard that for the first time I actually sat down and tracked everything i pay....bill wise....that is anything I am comitted to and billed for. I do not consider myself even middle class rather than lower middle class...the numbers were staggering.....just looking at.

mortgage...
property taxes
water/sewer
home ins....
CMP...
Webber propane...
Car payment...
car ins....
cable...
home phone...
cell phones...
other loan...
life ins...

Lets not even consider gas in car...movies...travell...food...and the fact I own investment property.

this oil crises is really gonna pinch us....we'll have re-evaulate everything if it gets any worse.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:07 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Well.....the thread is about taxes so i tried to stick with that......credits cards........even CMP are all variables......

I just did my budget for next winter, this winter was so hard that for the first time I actually sat down and tracked everything i pay....bill wise....that is anything I am comitted to and billed for. I do not consider myself even middle class rather than lower middle class...the numbers were staggering.....just looking at.

mortgage...
property taxes
water/sewer
home ins....
CMP...
Webber propane...
Car payment...
car ins....
cable...
home phone...
cell phones...
other loan...
life ins...

Lets not even consider gas in car...movies...travell...food...and the fact I own investment property.

this oil crises is really gonna pinch us....we'll have re-evaulate everything if it gets any worse.
I don't want to even list all the superfluous stuff we pay for, it's embarrassing. We pay for basic cable TV just to get this high speed internet connection and we don't even use the basic cable in the house. We have Directv. That's one, there are several more!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
do not tell me its another loop hole for you unorganized folks

P.S. burn the receipt
I do not know.

Perhaps NMLM would know.

When I went in to the DMV in Bangor to transfer my Buick to Maine tags, they told me that I had to first visit my town office to pay the excise taxes. I explained that I have no town office, and she looked in a book verified that Argyle is a UT, then in another book to find how much to charge me. She charged me $5.

We repeated this for my wife's saab, and they charged me $15.

A year later when I went in to re-register both of those vehicles and to transfer my Willy. The man at DMV turned me away telling me that I had to go to my town office first. I explained that I had no town office. Once I proved to him that I was from Argyle, then he agreed to serve me. He charged me $5 for our Buick, $15 for the saab and $5 for the Willy.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
... P.S. burn the receipt
No, sir.

We use those receipts for filing our taxes.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

.........in another book to find how much to charge me. She charged me $5.

We repeated this for my wife's saab, and they charged me $15.

A year later when I.........
WHOA WAIT A MINUTE........YOU WIFE DRIVES A SAAB

isn't that a bit to close to a VOLVO LOL

Old 03-04-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
WHOA WAIT A MINUTE........YOU WIFE DRIVES A SAAB

isn't that a bit to close to a VOLVO LOL

Not really.

She drove a saab [not a Saab], until the heater broke and my Buick died.

Now I drive the saab. Which is different in many ways from a Saab. A Saab might have a functional heater,

Old 03-04-2008, 03:35 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
saab - the sound the owner makes when they see the repair bill .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine