Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 06:44 PM

37,463 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

Adding additional taxes onto rate-payers to fund net-metering installations is a scam.

It has been done here in Maine. Every year [right now] we have bills in the state legislature to keep these going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 05:21 PM

164 posts, read 189,049 times
So, is it a scam now? Or only if some potential bill passes? And let's face it, the governor would chew his own had off before signing something like that.

Anyway, I did a search and couldn't find the bill you are talking about.

http://legislature.maine.gov/bills/s...?submit=Search

Can you send me a link?

Old 03-24-2017, 09:52 PM

201 posts, read 195,129 times
Bubbs16,
When I lived in CO I couldn't wait to get the heck out too! I can answer most all state jobs are in Augusta, pretty much the center of the state. There are some in Portland as well. You can check out the state job site as well, can't remember if the police have their own site or not. There will be snow and what kind varies. It is often dry fluffy, but there can be rain, or sleet on top of snow so there really is all types. It pretty much does stay once it falls even though they do a great job on the roads so you shouldn't be housebound. It doesn't rain a lot, compared to say, Florida but rains a normal amount. I can't speak to Rangley.

Swimming is awesome! There is the Ocean of course, (I'm really more familiar with Southern Maine), Old Orchard Beach, Ogunquit Beach many others but I liked those the best. Rivers (saco river, limington rapids, watch the current, though). Sebago Lake is formally called something else but it is beautiful and you can swim for the day over where the snack bar/ changing rooms are, camp (reserve early so you can get the best spot cheap). In Portland they have city pools, I believe Biddeford, Freeport, Portland have indoor Y pools. Cape Elizabeth has a real nice fitness center with hot tub and even if you're not a resident of the city you can pay and go in. So when it is hot the water is cool and refreshing. I'd say one of the best qualities of Maine!

I'm not sure about east gish (way up north past augusta) but in southern maine the internet was never an issue. Depending on what type of kids you have (sporty, alternative) etc. in general the schools are good. Healthcare in New England and Maine is high quality for most things. Except for neurology- but you could go to Mass which has multiple great hospitals if you had a special situation or darthmouth hitchock way over in New Hampshire if you had a need you felt wasn't getting filled in Maine.

The biggest issue with Maine is what you do for work. Most jobs are in southern maine. Most shopping districts are as well.
NG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs16 View Post
Wanting to get out of Colorado bad. This place is insane how busy and expensive it has gotten even since i moved here just a few years ago. Houses are gaining $100,000 a year or more depending on the area. To buy a house here you have to put in a offer 40-50,000 over asking price to get the house. I cannot afford a $500,000 house... plus that. It is also way to busy for me. Next, I cannot stand how dry it is here in co. I had no idea that it was considered a desert before I moved here. My wife and myself have lived a lot of different places but really come from Michigan. So we are used to high humidity and tons of moisture. I have lived in kansas, missouri, nebraska, michigan, and Colorado.

I grew up in mo on like 300 acres of land , so I am wanting to kind of get back to my roots. I don't want to buy that kind of land or anything just a little space away from the city life. Maybe 5-10 acres. Looking for a place that gets a little more snow then other parts of the state. I love snow. We have snow here in denver on the ground for about 2 weeks out of the entire winter, its pathetic. I like having snow most of the time on the ground dec-march.Is the snow usually heavy wet snow, or is it ever dry fluffy snow? Also, does it rain a lot, I love good rain and storms. I was looking at the Rangeley area ? Although, it seems a little pricier then i thought maine was?

My wife works in government so not sure where a lot of those jobs are located. Forensic Science labs and such. So really that probably decides where in maine we would live instead of us saying ok lets move to this city. Would like to live by some type of lakes for summertime. What is the swimming scene like in the summertime in maine? I know it can get warm there. What about internet ? Is internet lacking there cause of a lot of rural areas ? How is healthcare and school systems?

Old 03-25-2017, 09:30 AM

19 posts, read 19,877 times
Thanks Northern gator. Ya I imagine the hardest part is definitely going to be work. As far as rain goes just enough here and there is okay. Once or twice a week is suffice. I don't know how long it's been since you been in CO but we go months without anything so gotta be better in Maine then here .

Old 03-25-2017, 11:08 AM

201 posts, read 195,129 times
Bubbs16,
I went straight from Maine, to Colo Springs. First time I ever saw a gravel lawn! Maine is so green and lush even in the populated areas. I know you said Rangley and I don't know what you folks do for work, but although Gorham's gotten "built up" a bit towns such as limington, Berwick, Cornish, basically what borders South Portland (opposite of Portland) you get a real country feel but you aren't too far from creature comforts (shopping etc) and during the winter you might appreciate that. Plus the south typically does have more jobs.

I think you'll be pleased with Maine.
NG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs16 View Post
Thanks Northern gator. Ya I imagine the hardest part is definitely going to be work. As far as rain goes just enough here and there is okay. Once or twice a week is suffice. I don't know how long it's been since you been in CO but we go months without anything so gotta be better in Maine then here .

Old 03-25-2017, 12:23 PM

Oh man was I lol at the gravel lawn comment. It's so true there are tons of people in CO with gravel lawns. I literally have seen people buy a house, take out the lawn and install gravel. But your talking about a place that only gets 12-15 inches of moisture a year so it is hard to have a nice lawn here. Also, Co Springs is one of the rainier places in the state. They get way more rain then I get here at my place. There are fires everywhere around me right now. Can't wait to get back to some moisture wherever it may be. Maine, NC, WV, somewhere. How long did you live in CO for?

Old 03-25-2017, 12:28 PM

37,463 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance Mack View Post
So, is it a scam now? Or only if some potential bill passes? And let's face it, the governor would chew his own had off before signing something like that.

Anyway, I did a search and couldn't find the bill you are talking about.

http://legislature.maine.gov/bills/s...?submit=Search

Can you send me a link?

I remember reading articles saying that the average homeowner rate-payer in Maine is paying an additional $10/month to fund the grant going to RevisionEnergy to subsidize the financing of net-metering installations.

I have attended a few public workshops on 'solar power' that have turned out to be state legislators and installers arguing in favor of bills to increase the rate-payer tax to keep installers employed.

The mounting, secret taxes in electric bills | Notes from a Corner of the Country

Maine regulators seek middle ground in residential solar incentives - Portland Press Herald
Quote:
... Clean-energy advocates and solar installers say retaining the full credit on net metering is important to growing solar energy use and provides benefits beyond power costs.
Arguments over homeowner solar take focus at Maine PUC hearing: Who pays? - Portland Press Herald
Quote:
... a consumer affairs consultant who said the current financial incentives for rooftop solar hurt other ratepayers.
Crucial battle over solar panel incentives goes to Maine PUC - Portland Press Herald
Quote:
... Similar fights are taking place across the country, as utility regulators and politicians try to define the value and benefits of small solar-electric installations, as well as who should pay, and how much, to help expand their use.
Maine PUC proposing to phase out incentives for home solar panels - Portland Press Herald
Quote:
... Current owners would retain the benefits for 15 years, while new owners would see theirs phased out over 10 years.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:24 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
I live in Colorado and love the lack of humidity and aridity, which allows us to enjoy the outdoors comfortably nearly year round without feeling too hot or too cold. Likewise, the low costs of not having to use air-conditioner and being able to keep the heat very low are extraordinary compared to a humid location.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:41 AM

enjoy the outdoors with the 100,000 other people that are also trying to do it ? So busy trying to go to a place to hike or anything like that around me ( aka I70.) You are right about the low cost of ac in the summer time. Most people have swamp coolers not central air around here. The bills are dirt cheap that i cannot deny. our summer bill is literally next to nothing. Maybe its better up in loveland , but down here in golden/denver metro its just insanely busy. Also, its not like it doesnt get super hot it in the summertime. it can be in 100's and many days in the 90s . That with the uv ray being closer to the sun it is extremely hot feeling to the skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine