Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 06:32 PM

19 posts, read 19,880 times

Advertisements

Wanting to get out of Colorado bad. This place is insane how busy and expensive it has gotten even since i moved here just a few years ago. Houses are gaining $100,000 a year or more depending on the area. To buy a house here you have to put in a offer 40-50,000 over asking price to get the house. I cannot afford a $500,000 house... plus that. It is also way to busy for me. Next, I cannot stand how dry it is here in co. I had no idea that it was considered a desert before I moved here. My wife and myself have lived a lot of different places but really come from Michigan. So we are used to high humidity and tons of moisture. I have lived in kansas, missouri, nebraska, michigan, and Colorado.

I grew up in mo on like 300 acres of land , so I am wanting to kind of get back to my roots. I don't want to buy that kind of land or anything just a little space away from the city life. Maybe 5-10 acres. Looking for a place that gets a little more snow then other parts of the state. I love snow. We have snow here in denver on the ground for about 2 weeks out of the entire winter, its pathetic. I like having snow most of the time on the ground dec-march.Is the snow usually heavy wet snow, or is it ever dry fluffy snow? Also, does it rain a lot, I love good rain and storms. I was looking at the Rangeley area ? Although, it seems a little pricier then i thought maine was?

My wife works in government so not sure where a lot of those jobs are located. Forensic Science labs and such. So really that probably decides where in maine we would live instead of us saying ok lets move to this city. Would like to live by some type of lakes for summertime. What is the swimming scene like in the summertime in maine? I know it can get warm there. What about internet ? Is internet lacking there cause of a lot of rural areas ? How is healthcare and school systems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 04:41 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
The state forensics lab is in Augusta. Within a 30 mile radius of Augusts there are lots of properties like you describe.

The jackpot of home bargains are the towns surrounding where paper mills have closed.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:20 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs16 View Post
... Next, I cannot stand how dry it is here in co. I had no idea that it was considered a desert before I moved here. My wife and myself have lived a lot of different places but really come from Michigan. So we are used to high humidity and tons of moisture. I have lived in kansas, missouri, nebraska, michigan, and Colorado.
At one time maps showed much of the middle part of the nation as 'the Great American Desert'. There was a political decision made to change this to the 'Great Plains' to encourage migration. Nobody wanted to migrate to a desert, but settling on a plain sounded much better.

Typically deserts lack rainfall every year. Another topic is that much of the same area is also prone to severe drought on top of the normal lack of rainfall, some years there is extremely little rain.

My ancestors used to farm in the Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas areas. A severe drought followed by bank closures and foreclosing on mortgages finally drove them out of that area in the 1930s.

If you like to see green every year, green that does not turn brown by June, you would need to avoid desert/plains and drought prone regions.

I have been seeing a lot of articles about 'water-stress' lately. Municipalities have been finding it harder and harder to manage their water distribution. Monitoring aquifers shows that water levels have been getting lower. Thus 'stressing' the ability municipalities to provide residential water.

Knowing all this we decided to migrate to Maine.

Quote:
... I grew up in mo on like 300 acres of land , so I am wanting to kind of get back to my roots. I don't want to buy that kind of land or anything just a little space away from the city life. Maybe 5-10 acres
Maine does have a lot of large parcels available.

Quote:
... Looking for a place that gets a little more snow then other parts of the state. I love snow. We have snow here in denver on the ground for about 2 weeks out of the entire winter, its pathetic. I like having snow most of the time on the ground dec-march.
Maine is well suited for people who enjoy snow.

Quote:
... I was looking at the Rangeley area ? Although, it seems a little pricier then i thought maine was?
I suspect that tourism is the culprit.

Quote:
... My wife works in government so not sure where a lot of those jobs are located. Forensic Science labs and such. So really that probably decides where in maine we would live instead of us saying ok lets move to this city.
You are likely going to be looking at Augusta.

Quote:
... Would like to live by some type of lakes for summertime. What is the swimming scene like in the summertime in maine? I know it can get warm there. What about internet ? Is internet lacking there cause of a lot of rural areas ? How is healthcare and school systems?
Maine is loaded with rivers, lakes and ponds.

There is work happening to get more internet fiber laid. Bills come up every year in the state legislature to raise taxes to for grants for fiber in a small handful of towns, every year.

There is one bill on the floor now to provide fiber in 6% of Maine towns. But ConnectME has not released the list of which towns they are focusing on.

If these bills pass everyone will pay higher taxes for a couple towns to benefit. Pretty much the same scenario as the solar power net-metering scam [tax everyone to benefit a few select professionals].

Welcome to Maine

Old 03-19-2017, 08:24 PM

500 posts, read 636,436 times
I used to live in CO too.

The swimming up here in New England is awesome. There is water everywhere and the water temperatures of the lakes get into the mid-70s. The natives complain about it getting humid here, but for the most part it is always comfortable with a few mildly humid days surrounding stormy weather.

Generally speaking, I think it is easier to find large tracts of land in ME for cheaper than over here in NH. However, do not rule out NH when checking out New England. I say this because you if you can't find work in ME, then see if you can in NH.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:42 PM

59 posts, read 60,161 times
I find it amazing that anyone could like humidity and rain. Glad I'm moving from the east coast to Colorado.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:01 PM

19 posts, read 19,880 times
Co is so dry... Tons of fires going on right now here around my house as we haven't seen moisture in 70+ days. That is way too dry for my liking. I've lived in a lot of places in my life and Co is by far the worst.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:03 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
"There is work happening to get more internet fiber laid. Bills come up every year in the state legislature to raise taxes to for grants for fiber in a small handful of towns, every year."

The fiber optic "backbone" goes by my house. It already exists in many rural towns, but the company that was subsidized to install it will not allow local towns to connect to it.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:24 AM

500 posts, read 636,436 times
Don't listen to those who call it humid up here. When you get here, you will laugh at what they consider humid.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:57 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDunn View Post
Don't listen to those who call it humid up here. When you get here, you will laugh at what they consider humid.

That's one of the things I like about living in Maine: the humidity is average.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,219 times
If you think it's humid in Maine - come to WV, the humidity is unbearable in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine