Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 10:49 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
Thank you for this information about real estate as essential services. We are supposed to close on a house in Maine next week and need to get out there and open it, get water running, put in a toilet so that we can stay there and paint etc before moving out there later this summer.

Any and all info about your trip and travel is much appreciated, as we are kind of stumped as to how to do some of these things, but if real estate is considered an essential service, that helps.
Happy to help, your buyer agent, lender (if applicable) and title company has access to this information; I'm surprised they haven't coordinated the closing operation with you already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 05:37 PM

337 posts, read 429,245 times
Spoke too soon! Even though our reservation went through the owner called to tell me that she is NOT allowed to house anyone regarless if they are buying a house, period. The realtors cab ply their trade but not with any customers out of state who need lodging. This reasoning is so convoluted and counter productive that it makes my hair fall out.

We've now reached out to a friend living in wester Maine that maybe we can use their garage loft.

I sure hope that this behavior tanks this governor's reelection chances. There is NO REASON we can't be masked and gloved and be safe while looking at empty homes.

Walmart parking lot here we come!

Old 05-14-2020, 06:02 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
Spoke too soon! Even though our reservation went through the owner called to tell me that she is NOT allowed to house anyone regarless if they are buying a house, period. The realtors cab ply their trade but not with any customers out of state who need lodging. This reasoning is so convoluted and counter productive that it makes my hair fall out.

We've now reached out to a friend living in wester Maine that maybe we can use their garage loft.

I sure hope that this behavior tanks this governor's reelection chances. There is NO REASON we can't be masked and gloved and be safe while looking at empty homes.

I am so sorry for how you are being treated.

I do not have any better suggestions though.

Good luck

Old 05-14-2020, 06:11 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Maybe try Portsmouth, NH. I see Hilton has this message on their website:

"Due to temporary State rules where this hotel is located, if you’d like to make a booking for stays between April 1, 2020 and May 31, 2020, please contact the hotel directly to make your reservation or call us at 1-800-HILTONS. We may cancel your reservation if you are not staying with us for an essential purpose that is permitted by this State or because of other State restrictions."

Worth a shot. If buying a house is an essential purpose, and you don't mention the house is in Maine, it may work out.

Good luck!

Old 05-15-2020, 10:49 AM

Ha! I was really stuck until I called in a minor favor. We have friends of friends who live in Mt. Vernon, thank God. I dropped them a line and they are thrilled to have us. Like most of us we're pretty lonesome for new people to chat with. So, we're heading there after we visit our prospective homes in Knox County. Then head back to Brunswick to meet with banker. The ball is rolling!

Old 05-15-2020, 10:58 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Ha! I was really stuck until I called in a minor favor. We have friends of friends who live in Mt. Vernon, thank God. I dropped them a line and they are thrilled to have us. Like most of us we're pretty lonesome for new people to chat with. So, we're heading there after we visit our prospective homes in Knox County. Then head back to Brunswick to meet with banker. The ball is rolling!
That is great!

You may need to arrange for an appointment with the bank. Our local banks are 'drive-through teller only' unless you have an appointment.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:41 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
There are Mainers who rent or loan their campers for business and recreational friends or customers. Real estate professionals tend to be a creative bunch and find ways to accommodate visitors. We welcome people to Maine. Maine needs people to fill the vacancies created by those who leave for more business friendly states.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:24 AM

I do have an appointment with the Mortgage broker. I wasn't going to attempt a walk-in visit after what's going on.

My real estate girl was attempting to find someone who would be willing to loan two "clean" people an overnight in their camper sitting outside their home. She simply couldn't find anything in her area. I am pleased that she even tried in the first place. Here we are, customers with money and intentions and she can't spend the time selling to us because of this exaggerated shut-down.

We are so much looking forward to becoming part of a small community church and local lore. We also want to be "friends of Acadia" and plan on heading up there for their projects from time to time. We love to fly fish (my wife too) and canoe and tent camp. We very much enjoy driving the backroads of Maine, especially along the coast and discovering those some gems of small diners and clam shacks. And the coastline of your state is simply unchallenged as the most beautiful in the world. Finally the people of Maine have ALWAYS impressed us as hard-working, leave-me-be type of people, honest and forthright. Are there exceptions? Sure. There always are but the bulk fit that bill.

I'll wave to all of you as we drive around your fair state on Monday and Tuesday!

Old 05-16-2020, 11:23 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,323 times
Quote:

Anyone planning on using a Walmart parking lot for camping may want to double check their current policy. I "heard" the policy has changed as so many things have changed.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:44 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,814 times
We have been told through the local newspaper, letters to the editors in Eastport, that even virus free, masked and gloved, we are not wanted back in Eastport this year, even though we own our house. They're calling us PFA or People From Away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine