Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2020, 03:19 PM

900 posts, read 683,306 times

Advertisements

Yes, this article you linked is the one that I read that completely changed the information that had been given out prior about the quarantining. In the first announcement, it was stated you could go out for groceries, hardware store, essential life-sustaining activities.

Then the correction was made, to what you have linked here, which is completely different than what you you are describing here as doable and workable. Your post contains all the things that were said to be allowed in the first press conference about the quarantine. Then, it was decided to have a second press conference for clarification, where all the things described such as going to grocery and hardware store--the regular essential activities that Mainers are allowed to engage in while under lockdown--were no longer permitted to out of staters or Mainers who were returning to the state after time away. None of these things are permitted, according to the Bangor Daily News article, which was based on the followup press conference.

The only life-sustaining activity allowed out of the house according to the press conference was to go outside in the yard for fresh air (your yard only) and go to the hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 03:20 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Update: looks like I had incorrect information in the previous post (sorry). That is if the information in this Bangor Daily News article is correct.
https://bangordailynews.com/2020/05/...tine-answered/
This is over 2 weeks old. I'd be happy to camp but my wife is too lame to do so. This is really being 'muffed'...

Old 06-01-2020, 03:21 PM

It is the most recent I have seen, and I look every day since we need to get out there to see my parents.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:27 PM

Tnx, PM. Yeah, I keep running into the question of IF I can get a motel room. They can start taking reservations today.

Did I say it before? This is really getting 'muffed'....

Old 06-01-2020, 03:32 PM

Yeah, I don't mean to sound strident about it. It's just I'm separated from my mom, my dad, my granddaughters, my son, my daughter in law, my brother, and my sister-in law. Two cancer patients and a dementia patient in that group, so time is kind of important. Anyway, let us know if you can get a motel reservation, as they said no reservations unless you had completed quarantine, but maybe some are ignoring that?

Old 06-01-2020, 03:33 PM

Here you go from here: https://www.mainetourism.com/members...d19-resources/

May 27th:

Out-of-state visitors can come to Maine in Stage 2 (June) and may stay in commercial lodging only if they have already quarantined in Maine for 14 days in a non-commercial lodging place such as a second home.

Beginning in Stage 3 (July), out-of-state visitors are allowed to stay in commercial lodging establishments and quarantine there for 14 days. During the 14-day quarantine, visitors cannot go to places with other people like restaurants, stores, and grocery stores, or pick up take-out. A lodging establishment may arrange for take-out, delivery, or grocery services for the visitors.

Visitors can leave their hotel room or campsite during these 14 days but only for limited outdoor activities such as hiking as long as they are not around other people.

Visitors can stay in Maine for fewer than 14 days as long as they remain in quarantine the entire stay.

So what is 'commercial lodging'? Is a whole rental vacation home in that category or not?

Old 06-01-2020, 03:36 PM

Sure, I would think so. Air BnB or motel.

Thank you for the clarification, really helpful to know!

Old 06-03-2020, 02:05 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,323 times
The May 18 Bangor Daily news article says quarantine in a personal residence. Many would take that to mean a second/summer home. Could it mean at a friend or relative's residence in Maine.

Here is yesterday's "potential" alternative to quarantine news article from The Bangor Daily... "they" are trying to work something out.
https://bangordailynews.com/2020/06/...tate-visitors/

Here is a link to an article on the same topic from News Center Maine, Portland.

https://www.newscentermaine.com/mobi...3-75c553f21261

At least one business (restaurant) lost their state license(s) by going against the governor. Eventually, they got their credentials back and were allowed to open for business on the governor's timeline aka plan for reopening.

This is such a dilemma because tourism is important for Maine's economy. How can that be balanced with public health during a pandemic? One source reported (prepandemic) approximately 20 million tourists visited Maine in 2018. One source put total number of tourists at 37 million for 2018. There are both economic and health concerns. There is definitely fear here. Fear of what will happen if they aren't allowed to visit and fear of what will happen if they are allowed to visit.

Looking at post #256 phase three of reopening... the plan i proposed as doable (post #248) might be an option after July 1.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 06-03-2020 at 02:17 AM..

Old 06-03-2020, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the links!

If you want an example of a horde of visitors coming into an area, keep an eye on Dare County NC, the heart of the Outer Banks. It was closed for 6+ weeks to everyone from outside, including non-resident property owners (who could not get to their own 2nd homes).

Dare County was thrown wide opened on May 16 to visitors. So they are in their 3rd week of wide-open-to-visitors now, with the restrictions of wearing masks in grocery and other stores, limited restaurants access like carry-out, and some shops open at lower capacities. There are 18 total cases in Dare County and no new cases in at least a month. So far, so good.... The big majority of visitors to the OBX are from VA up to NY. Over 90% of visitors to the OBX rent whole homes.

The fear in that region is understandable, BUT the new case incidences per day in NY, NJ, MA, and CT have plummeted like a rock in the last few weeks. The core of controlling this is people's exact behavior plus sensibly limiting crowding and maintaining personal space, and it looks like most have now learned how to significantly limit their exposure risk, and the measures in place elsewhere are looking to be reasonably effective. GA was criticized in some quarters for opening up almost everything and the case rates have now edged back to a bit below their peaks 6-8 weeks ago. You have to realize that a lot of that criticism is purely fear or politics, and that distorts the reality of what is happening unless you objectively dig in to the stats every day (like I do).

People in many other regions have already made good starts on the balance between exposure risk and economic well-being. Regardless of how the laws are written and how long gov can keep things locked down, Maine is falling behind the curve, on a decision is really unavoidable.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:39 PM

So I wonder how the OP's house search is going???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine