Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 02:32 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,642,987 times

Advertisements

I saw an article today re this. The other 2 states were Utah & Minnesota.

I kind of understand Utah & maybe winters in Minnesota (tho ironically Minn is very highly ranked in OVERALL health, so I guess even Depression doesn't affect health -- ahem, according to stats), & just wanted to ask you all as to any ideas why a Top 3?

Of course, pretty obvious what is the best state for avoiding Depression. That being Hawaii, tho unless you have a winning lottery ticket you'd be depressed trying to afford living there.

Ok, just some FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 08:12 PM

70 posts, read 70,364 times
Maine gets very cold in the winter. I was there in the summer and it was breezy. One day was drizzly, overcast and it's not that bustling city (I was in Bar Harbor and Bangor) like Los Angeles etc. People are more hardy, lots of boats - lobster catchers etc. It's at the very top of the US. I would feel isolated there....the drive up from NH/VT seemed forever...

UT and MN? Hmm...the MN folks seem very cheerful. I'd say Seattle, WA should be #1 or 2

Old 05-13-2018, 09:24 AM

32,981 posts, read 36,491,976 times
Is this it?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-dep...is-your-state/

Old 05-13-2018, 10:06 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,075,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
They could pathologize anyone with that list.
And they do.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:45 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,291,845 times
sometimes we are a nanny state---

a few years ago a Zumba instructor tried spreading love and good cheer and the state arrested her...

maine needs more brothels..

Old 05-15-2018, 10:11 AM

32,981 posts, read 36,491,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
They could pathologize anyone with that list.
And they do.
"Even if they're having a great time, even if they're being super appropriate on their phone, if the phone is getting in the way of sleep they need it still causes harm," Damour said.

That right there is depressing.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:43 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,040,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I saw an article today re this. The other 2 states were Utah & Minnesota.

I kind of understand Utah & maybe winters in Minnesota (tho ironically Minn is very highly ranked in OVERALL health, so I guess even Depression doesn't affect health -- ahem, according to stats), & just wanted to ask you all as to any ideas why a Top 3?

Of course, pretty obvious what is the best state for avoiding Depression. That being Hawaii, tho unless you have a winning lottery ticket you'd be depressed trying to afford living there.

Ok, just some FYI.
The irony is that Minnesota has also ranked Number 1 in happiness recently.

The happiest states in the US, according to WalletHub - INSIDER

I guess that means we are putting on a fake front and are really depressed deep down. I don't know why Minnesota would be any more depressed than Maine. I always thought Maine and Minnesota are not especially different if you imagine Lake Superior being substituted for the Atlantic Ocean and the Iron Range substituted for the upper Appalachians.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:04 AM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 4 hours ago)

2,047 posts, read 3,365,209 times
I looked over the article - didnt read it fully.

But Major Depression is an illness. It's not "caused" by where you live - unless maybe you are diagnosed with 'situational depression.'

There are quite a few types of depression. MDD (major depressive disorder) cannot be cured by moving someplace else. You need medication and/or therapy. (I know, i have it and have had it for decades.)

So - i'm never sure about these "articles."

(SAD can be helped by more sunlight - supposedly.)

Old 05-15-2018, 04:10 PM

846 posts, read 1,023,883 times
Always someone in the news without the proper credentials trying to diagnose mental health issues.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:20 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,291,845 times
Mainers are famous ....for this one dynamic...and it may not be exclusive to maine but it is prevalent

you can go into any general store in maine or even a McDonalds... or a diner..

and you may see a gathering of retired men.... having coffee you won't be able to pick out which one has a million in the bank or owns half the town.....
mainers despise arrogance, and if some mainers have money you would never know it.....no one i know brags or shows off what they have

my brother....owns and rents 22 houses ...he does very well and owns 4 businesses ...but you would never know it....
like he said if he drives his brand new truck to the store he owns...he would lose half his customers....
he complains about the price of gas...along with most everyone he knows.

most mainers dont flaunt what they have.... we despise arrogance..

so if someone is doing a "happiness" or depression survey of course it isn't going to be positive......
as soon as you are acting all happy ..people and family are asking to borrow money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine