Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 01:06 PM

367 posts, read 420,905 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of keeping a couple of goats and sheep on a modestly sized rural, out-of-town would-be property in Maine, not talking about any kind of herd, just a couple of each kind of animals, and letting them pasture around the parcel.... Also, few chickens and turkeys. Most likely Aroostook county and not talking about big parcels.

Trying to understand zoning, information seems to be less straightforward than in some other states, because of unorganized/organized townships and I can't find straight info on agricultural zoning, or if I even need agricultural zoning or minimal number of acres.
Does anyone know what kind of zoning would I need in Maine for this land use? And do I need any minimal acreage? Or is it very different depending on township (in organized)? If yes, at least would be good to have info on rules for unorganized.
I also see some protected land such as wetlands/forest, do you know what are the limitations on animals and gardening for non-commercial use on such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 01:10 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
I'm thinking of keeping a couple of goats and sheep on a modestly sized rural, out-of-town property in Maine, not talking about any kind of herd, just a couple of each kind of animals, and using them to keep the grass down rather than mowing.... Also, few chickens and turkeys. I'd like the animals to pasture around including front of the house. Most likely Arostook county (and not talking about big parcels).

Trying to understand zoning, information seems to be less straightforward than in some other states, because of unorganized/organized townships and I can't find straight info on agricultural zoning, or if I even need agricultural zoning or minimal number of acres.
Does anyone know what kind of zoning would I need in Maine for this land use? And do I need any minimal acreage? Or is it very different depending on township (in organized)? If yes, at least would be good to have info on rules for unorganized.
I also see some protected land such as wetlands/forest, do you know what are the limitations on animals and gardening for non-commercial use on such?
This will all be under the towns laws, if they have any. Contact the town you are looking at. They may give you the answers.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
This will all be under the towns laws, if they have any. Contact the town you are looking at. They may give you the answers.
I believe your response is about organized townships only...the thing is that there're a lot of organized townships and I'm not looking for any particular township, just for a suitable property for sale in Aroostook county (or close) in whatever area it happens to be for sale. Calling each township is not really realistic....are there general common rules for keeping few rural animals for personal use in Maine?
Seems like it might be easier to deal with unorganized townships, because of all the town regulations....but not sure if there's any document or clear info on unorganized, so far I see a bunch of legalese stuff online. Maine farming laws don't apply here, as non-commercial animal use is not considered farming in Maine.

Last edited by Usrname; 07-16-2018 at 01:46 PM..

Old 07-16-2018, 02:08 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
Quote:
I believe your response is about organized townships only...the thing is that there're a lot of organized townships and I'm not looking for any particular township, just for a suitable property for sale in Aroostook county (or close) in whatever area it happens to be for sale. Calling each township is not really realistic....are there general common rules for keeping few rural animals for personal use in Maine?
Seems like it might be easier to deal with unorganized townships, because of all the town regulations....but not sure if there's any document or clear info on unorganized, so far I see a bunch of legalese stuff online. Maine farming laws don't apply here, as non-commercial animal use is not considered farming in Maine.

Each town will have it's own zoning if it's organized. You should also check on any animal control ordinances they might have; sometimes it's in there. Or the easy way, call them.

Unorganized you would check with LUPC I believe. https://www.maine.gov/dacf/lupc/. I doubt they care much, other than keeping animals and manure a certain distance from water bodies and things like that.

The "legalese" is what you want to be aware of. Some folks will tell you that you can do just about anything. And you probably can until you get caught. Always best to check than to write a check for the fine.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:19 PM

Since it's not realistic to check on all numerous organized townships where homes are for sale, seems like best bet is unorganized...plus, in organized, it's more likely that something changes and some new ordinance comes out.

So, in organized it's LUPC...short of hiring a lawyer to get through the legalese I'm curious if anyone has personal experience keeping goats at least in unorganized township and how many acres does one need as a minimum/in which zoning they're allowed. A sheep will probably be the same as a goat, for the law.

I didn't find anything about personal livestock keeping restrictions in LUPC land use docs (document search feature on their site)... but there must be something, such as at least wetlands and forest protection may be?

Last edited by Usrname; 07-16-2018 at 02:44 PM..

Old 07-16-2018, 03:00 PM

428 posts, read 554,132 times
I live in the town of Shapleigh, York County about 30 miles SW of Portland. We are zoned rural and keep goats (10-15), ponies (2), a llama and misc poultry - geese, ducks, turkeys, chickens. No issues here at all. The animal control officer has been here a couple of times for other issues and the only thing he has remarked about is how well we take care of our animals. One of his visits was when a neighbors cattle broke loose and came to visit our yard. He left the 6 steers and 2 cows in our care until we could contact the neighbor. The next time they broke loose he was not even involved. I just led them back home with a bucket of goat feed and shut them in their pasture.

Some towns where out of staters have moved in have started to make it difficult for small farms, e.g. Madison in Somerset County where livestock and poultry are banned on less than 1.5 acres.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:06 PM

I see....pretty crazy that one can run noisy useless lawnmower all the time or poison the air with toxic fumes from leaf blower but may be required and acre or more to keep a goat or chicken in some jurisdictions, because natural smell or sound may offend someone. Same thing as with vegetable gardens in front yards. I don't know what life have become here... I can't believe I'm asking how many acres I may need to keep a couple of goats and one has to deal with the legal maze for this simple basic thing

Old 07-17-2018, 03:44 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Some people get elected in order to control other people. There are towns that are like homeowner associations. There are towns that have no zoning at all, but your rooster might come up missing.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:41 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
... I'm curious if anyone has personal experience keeping goats at least in unorganized township and how many acres does one need as a minimum/in which zoning they're allowed.
I live in a UT.

I have had sheep and goats here. I am currently doing free-range pigs.

There is no minimum acreage restrictions for livestock in the UTs.

Folks may complain if your livestock go out on the pavement, though most Mainers will simply contact the owner to go get them. Some Mainers will help herd them back toward their appropriate homes.

One winter we had a 700-pound boar that decided to take a walk with four of his 350-pound sows following him. The snow banks were up about four foot tall, and they hated trying to walk through snow, so the pigs stayed on pavement. They went a mile down the road. Along the way, they went up into each home's dooryard looking for anything to eat. After that, they turned themselves around and came home again. Our neighbors were telling us stories for 6 months afterward.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:15 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
I was helping somebody new to running sled dogs. They were running down a rural road when the team hung a left into a driveway. I was following in my truck and stopped to help turn the team around. I got the team headed out to the road and my truck was parked with the driver door open, which was a good thing, because a large sow hog came barreling around the house and she was after ME with hr jaws popping and squealing. She had piglets and this intrusion into her domain was all my fault in the opinion of the sow. I ran for the truck and the hog was gaining on me. I dove into the front seat and slammed the door - on the sow's head! I put the truck in drive and pulled away with the hog still in pursuit. She was one irate sow!

The stuff we are reminded of on CD. I had not thought of hogs and high snowbanks for over 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine