Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:47 PM

8 posts, read 18,438 times

Advertisements

Hi Molly, thanks so much for your kind DM. My husband will have a PsyD and I will have a BS in Legal Studies/Community Advocacy. I really would like to work with an "at risk" population maybe young Moms or something but I have also worked disability and with the mentally retarded population. I no longer work as a nurse because of end-stage Osteoarthritis which requires bilteral knee replacements. Something that will be done prir to our moving. I have heard a lot of advice here about possible relocations, including NH and value everyone. I really do not want a large city and have also, since a child, wante to live in Maine. Who knows why. At any rate, thanks to all for the kindness. It really is a rare thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 05:09 PM

104 posts, read 387,796 times
Do you plan on going back to NY for visits with family on a regular basis? The only reason I ask is I live in southern maine and go to Ct often to visit family and friends. It is a 5 hr drive one way so the farther north you live the longer the drive. Just some food for thought.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:31 PM

Post Visits home to NY

Hi ChristineL,

At this point in time, I do not anticipate frequent visits home once we move to Maine. While I am the oldest of 8, most of us are scattered between, NY, Indiana, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. Some of my siblings really don't come home except for funerals. Both of my parents have passed away and everyone has calling plans and the internet to keep up with the gossip.

Thanks,
Deb.(Omma)

Old 04-27-2008, 06:16 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Good luck on your job hunt.. My favorite town in the world is eastport, but visit around and you will find the spot that is home for you.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:59 PM

71 posts, read 173,458 times
Omma, I moved to the Bangor area from Ogdensburg, NY a little over a year ago. While my job search led me in a different direction from what you and your husband will be taking, I can tell you that this move is the best thing I've ever done. A few things that have frustrated me since coming here are the vehicle registration process (MUCH more expensive than a NY registration), poorly maintained roads, and most importantly, the lack of a Jreck's Subs shop in the area

Seriously though, come check it out first if you can. It doesn't look that much different from "home". It does offer much greater opportunity than where we hail from. Can't even tell you how many strange looks I've gotten when I tell people that! Best of luck, from one northern NY'er to another

Old 05-28-2008, 06:43 PM

Hi, I am not sure if I responded or not so I am doing so now. I was so nat to see that you are from Ogdensburg. My husband worked briefly at the Sexual Offender Unit at the State Hospital there and really hated it. We are so looking forward to moving to Maine but really don't expect it to happen until next year. It is nice to know that you see oportunity there as apposed to Upstate New York. Obviously, it sucks here and in Watertown, the military is so exploited and unfortunately the locals get caughtup in it. The rents here are horrible and coupled with the prices of food and gas, we are drowing.

Take care,
Omma (Debbie)

Old 05-31-2008, 01:28 PM

129 posts, read 246,748 times
From Eastport, there is the Health Center and Dialisys center in Eastport, the hospitals in Calais and Machias, and always the private assisted care opportunities. Check out Eastport, Maine Area Information Directory.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:54 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb View Post
From Eastport, there is the Health Center and Dialisys center in Eastport, the hospitals in Calais and Machias, and always the private assisted care opportunities. Check out Eastport, Maine Area Information Directory.
Great advice that is an awesome site! Rep points coming your way, willb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine