Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:19 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Busy day:
Did some work on our Apple orchard raised beds. Tore up last year's pig pen. Moved two chicken coops and shoveled the manure from under them. Cut some barrels in half for more planters. Collected some more WVO [Waste Veggie Oil]. Got some parts for our greenhouse. Shot a beaver that was making noises at and acting aggressive towards one of our goats.
About the greenhouse - Home Depot has a 10-30% sale on existing stock in the current building. They don't want to move it to the new building. Steve picked up the metal conduit connectors and elbows for the next gh at 30% off. If you still need parts you might find a decent price there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
This is the official flag of Earth Day from the EPA's own website.

A Bangor company, Pottle's Transport, received an award from them.

Maine Citizens Receive Earth Day Honors with Prestigious Regional EPA Environmental Award | Newsroom | US EPA
Belated Earth Day.

"Ohh I loved the flag rmoore!" Nice touch!
I did some outdoor clean up, not much but did more on Monday before. I only made one trip to town.

Here's a "earth day" story,
I was leaving a store yesterday. A little girl must of read the sign on the door (about earth day being today)while holding her father's hand.
She asked him,
" What should we do for earth day? His reply was.. we can start with not spitting that wad of gum you have in your mouth on the ground." She said okay."
I almost fell over.

Happy belated.
Tami~peachie

Old 04-23-2008, 08:04 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
Happy Belated Earth Day everyone! We also switched to re-usable grocery bags this past week. (Now I just need to figure out how to dispose of the kitty litter!) We planted a few trees and replaced most of the lightbulbs with CF bulbs. IMO, most important of all is to make every day Earth Day!

Old 04-23-2008, 11:52 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
We are on a planting binge: today we have planted 11 spreading junipers down one side of drive and this after noon will do the other side. We also started putting salvia on a sunny slope in the back yard. It is our intention to avoid "Another Pleasant Valley Sunday" (the Monkeys) scene of riding mowers and expanses of green lawn; there-by cutting down on pollution and gas consumption and creating a diverse enviornment instead of a mono culture. Just wish the builder hadnt envisioned a family wanting lots of lawn for lots of kids.... but we do back right up to a woods with a brook and lots of wild life. We want the yard to blend right in so there isnt any clear demarcation between the woods and the yard.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:54 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
About the greenhouse - Home Depot has a 10-30% sale on existing stock in the current building. They don't want to move it to the new building. Steve picked up the metal conduit connectors and elbows for the next gh at 30% off. If you still need parts you might find a decent price there.
Yes we got some conduit yesterday for our greenhouse.

We planned on getting some windows Monday, but HD was already sold out of them.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:58 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Happy Belated Earth Day everyone! We also switched to re-usable grocery bags this past week. (Now I just need to figure out how to dispose of the kitty litter!) We planted a few trees and replaced most of the lightbulbs with CF bulbs. IMO, most important of all is to make every day Earth Day!
We use pine shavings. Then dump it onto the forest floor.

We could use it for a compost pile, but cat manure makes a questionable compost whereas we already have a lot of chicken and goat manures. So we have lots of compost.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:14 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We use pine shavings. Then dump it onto the forest floor.

We could use it for a compost pile, but cat manure makes a questionable compost whereas we already have a lot of chicken and goat manures. So we have lots of compost.
Wow, forest, great idea! Unfortunately we live on a small lot in a HOA controlled subdivision right now. It's very restricted. No compost piles allowed! Once we move to Maine, I'll run with your idea though. (We're hoping to buy a house on a few acres once we make our move.)

Old 04-23-2008, 04:06 PM

307 posts, read 1,589,551 times
My claim to fame is winning 1st place in an Earth Day poster contest in 2nd grade. I beat Debbie Chen, the best artist in the school because of my creative 3D poster. Haven't had any accomplishments since that day in 1972!
Ah well......
We've been using canvas bags since the 1980s. I still have my original ones plus some from the 1990s. They've held up nicely. I'm disappointed with the mesh fakey ones they've got now. I thought Home Depot was offering free canvas ones on Earth Day only to get there and find out they were the fake ones. Bummer!

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 04-23-2008 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: orphaned material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: