Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 03:15 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,036 times

Advertisements

I am working with a Maine based family friend on a retail venture. We are still doing research on what might make sense, whether its a coffee shop, laundromat or some other establishment that would be needed in town, preferably on a Main Street.

Due to the pandemic, I know that Eastport has been hurt by the lack of tourism. Similarly, Calais has been negatively impacted by the closure of the Canada border crossing. Setting these present concerns aside, I wanted to get some opinions on which town is a better option when it comes to retail businesses? These are my thoughts based on a few trips:

Eastport: Beautiful, lively during the summer. Heavy reliance on tourism dollars. Off the beaten path -- I can hear my friend's howls of laughter in my head, however I am speaking solely based on my trips from Bangor.

Calais: Grittier, has a stronger commercial presence, hospital and the connection to Canada. The revenue here would be much more 'balanced' rather than relying heavily on tourism. Location in St. Croix Valley much more central (add more howls of laughter from my friend).

Since this will be a joint venture, with my role being renting the space, getting it fitted for retail, while my friend will be providing the inventory and running the place, I'd like to get some local opinions on the matter. My lean is towards Eastport, however I would prefer an year round business rather than one that is most active in the summer months. Once we have narrowed things down between Eastport and Calais, I will certainly speak with economic development offices in both places to see what makes sense.

I would love to have your thoughts..

Last edited by New Englander; 12-09-2020 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 05:38 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Calais. How about a health food store? There's a farmers market for two hours on Tuesdays in summer and fall, and there's a buyers club on Saturdays. The health food store is missed.

Calais has a diner, cafe, laundromat, and small stores. My Favorite Things reopened in the old Urban Moose store (old bank on the corner).

Old 12-09-2020, 07:53 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Calais. How about a health food store? There's a farmers market for two hours on Tuesdays in summer and fall, and there's a buyers club on Saturdays. The health food store is missed.

Calais has a diner, cafe, laundromat, and small stores. My Favorite Things reopened in the old Urban Moose store (old bank on the corner).
Thank you for the response. By health food store, you mean place where nutitional supplements, body care products and organic foods are sold? If so, I'd be very interested in that.

I'm glad to hear that My Favorite Things reopened in the Urban Moose Store - I stopped by Urban Moose last year and was sorry to see it close down.

Calais does seem to have most of the usual commercial activity.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:38 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,238,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

Is the laundry mat still open? I had heard that it closed... I'll have to check this weekend.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:56 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Thank you for the response. By health food store, you mean place where nutitional supplements, body care products and organic foods are sold? If so, I'd be very interested in that.

I'm glad to hear that My Favorite Things reopened in the Urban Moose Store - I stopped by Urban Moose last year and was sorry to see it close down.

Calais does seem to have most of the usual commercial activity.
I would second a health food store. I've been to Eastport many times, never to Calais. Eastport is indeed off the beaten path and isolated. Calais has for better or worse more commerce, a Walmart and near Canadian border and probably a better bet.

Also, a healthier vegetarian friendly diner, cafe in either place would be a good bet. Or an ethnic food joint. Good luck.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:04 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
I am working with a Maine based family friend on a retail venture. We are still doing research on what might make sense, whether its a coffee shop, laundromat or some other establishment that would be needed in town, preferably on a Main Street.

Due to the pandemic, I know that Eastport has been hurt by the lack of tourism. Similarly, Calais has been negatively impacted by the closure of the Canada border crossing. Setting these present concerns aside, I wanted to get some opinions on which town is a better option when it comes to retail businesses? These are my thoughts based on a few trips:
On your proposed timeline, when do you anticipate the plandemic ending, when will this lock-down be lifted?

Old 12-10-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Is the laundry mat still open? I had heard that it closed... I'll have to check this weekend.
It's open. DH was there last weekend after our washing machine had a nervous smoke down.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:19 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
On your proposed timeline, when do you anticipate the plandemic ending, when will this lock-down be lifted?
What lockdown, I miss something within the last 13 hours???

As for Calais, I hear they could use a decent hotel around there. Or better yet, a good taco stand.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Yes. I've worked in food and ag in this part of the county for 20+ years. I can make some suggestions on cheesemakers, bakers, herbal health care products, wool yarn, meat, and other things if you decide you want to look into the idea.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:10 AM

18 posts, read 25,966 times
Have you considered Lubec for a coffee shop?

While the town can't sustain higher-end dining year round, locals would love a place to get coffee, easy pickups, and you could even stock baked goods from the local bakers who sell at the Farmer's Market.

And, you'd have a huge influx in the summer for Summer Keys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine