Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 05:36 PM

7 posts, read 17,858 times

Advertisements

My husband, I and our 3 kids will be relocating to Maine very soon. We had originally planned to live in Bangor but husbands job will end up being in Belfast. What is considered a normal commute time there? Would it be unusual or tough to commute to Belfast from Bangor?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 05:58 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,824 times
An hour. In the spring and fall, it could be less, in winter it could be all of that on some days, and in summer, it will depend a lot on time of day, and whether the folks "from away" can afford gas to come to Maine and clog up all the roads.

Today, it took at least an hour at times to go from Searsport to across the bridge into Belfast. The problem was the MDOT had made a mistake again, and contracted with Lane Construction to pave Route One from Searsport to Belfast. If a construction firm can screw up road traffic, Lane is right up there with the best.

Normally this is about fifteen minutes or so.

By far the biggest question that I have is "WHY?" . Why live in Bangor and commute to Belfast? Living in Belfast or the immediate area is very, very nice. Bangor is close to visit, but Belfast is a much nicer town, in my opinion. My parents have lived in Belfast for many years, and before I became very much involved with their final affairs, I looked at the town with a certain level of disdain. But to my surprise, the town has grown on me, and I now am a Belfast "fan".

Old 05-19-2008, 06:07 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reshet View Post
My husband, I and our 3 kids will be relocating to Maine very soon. We had originally planned to live in Bangor but husbands job will end up being in Belfast. What is considered a normal commute time there? Would it be unusual or tough to commute to Belfast from Bangor?

Thanks!
every thing will be fine untill the away people start to flock into bellfast then rt1 gets crazy.fall and winter wont

Old 05-19-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post

By far the biggest question that I have is "WHY?" .
To be honest I don't think we will be able to afford much and the houses seem to be cheaper in Bangor. I haven't really found anything online for homes to purchase in Belfast. My husband will be getting up there before the kids and I so he will be able to get a better look when he is there.
Where we live now an hour commute is not unusual but we live in Florida and the weather is generally the same for most of the year. My husband was so set on living in Bangor but really I am open to any place in the surrounding areas.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:40 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,435 times
The drive from Bangor to Belfast takes an hour on two-lane roads that can clog up quickly in summer with tourist traffic. In a snowstorm it can be a nightmare. Maine is NOT Florida. the hills are steep, the roads are bumpy, and the winters are long.

Given gas prices and other considerations, you really should reconsider living in the Bangor area. Whatever you think you might save on a house in Bangor -- and I question whether you'll save much at all --- you'll lose it in commuting costs. If prices in town put your husband off, tell him to look in Searsmont or Waldo or the other surrounding towns.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:03 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,806 times
Another vote to consider Belfast. It's a nice little town and I don't think the housing prices will be that different from Bangor. You can still head to Bangor if you need to do a really big shopping day, but otherwise you can find what you need day-to-day right in Belfast.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:36 PM

263 posts, read 616,426 times
Hello,

I am moving back to Belfast this weekend.
I know what you mean about the housing market for Belfast. Have you looked into the surrounding towns like Swanville or Northport? Searsmont and Belmont too.

What are you looking for in a town? Shopping? Schools? Activities?

Old 05-19-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arzachena View Post

What are you looking for in a town? Shopping? Schools? Activities?
Personally schools are important to me but I figure anything will be better than what we have here. I am a homebody and don't really care other than having my home. My husband I think just cares that he has high speed internet and cable, maybe some gaming buddies. We keep to ourselves mostly.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:47 PM

263 posts, read 616,426 times
So why the pull to Bangor? (Besides the housing costs)
If you don't mind me asking

Old 05-19-2008, 09:07 PM

My husband and I researched the city. I loved the idea of a city forest and that it wasn't far from country. My husband loves city so we thought this would be a nice compromise. I also like that Bangor has a bus service which is handy for me since I don't drive. And my husband absolutely idolizes Stephen King. I also found that there is a gaming store in Bangor(haven't checked Belfast or nearby areas) which is ideal since my husband also is a delegate for Wizards of the Coast and he was hoping to find a transfer area. This is his hobby job on the side.
After finding out his new job would be in Belfast I had to rethink everything. So that is why I am asking these questions.
Now I am looking into homes closer to Belfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine