Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:34 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,698,077 times

Advertisements

This thread is a spinoff from the thread titled need information. In that thread I suggested the original poster purchase a chainsaw. In my opinion the chainsaw is an essential tool in Maine. In the wrong hands ,used carelessly, or when tired, or by the untrained, there are few tools more dangerous than a chainsaw. It isn't a tool you just pull from the box and become an instant expert. I'm not an expert with a chainsaw and don't pretend to be. I have used chainsaws since I was 16 and I'm soon to be 50. I have had a few close calls but knock on wood no nasty cuts. I do have friends that were not so lucky and wear the scars as proof. I wear chaps designed to stop the chain in miliseconds to prevent a cut. I also always wear leather boots, leather gloves and eye protection around a chainsaw. I learned how to use a saw, fell, limb ,and buck up trees by watching experts and working along with folks who knew what they were doing. A good way to get into using a saw if you have never used one is to have someone who knows how to show you the basics. Reading the instruction manual will show you the starting procedure, chain maintenence and basic saw maintenence though there is nothing like hands on experience. Go slow and get the feel for it and in a few days you'll build confidence enough to cut up all of those standing dead trees out back for firewood! Chainsaws are not for everyone though . My brother will not touch one and never has. He's just not comfortable around them and if that sounds like you then by all means hire someone!
My saw is a Stihl 026 which I have has since 1986. I have rebuilt it twice and it still cuts just as nice as it did the day I bought it. It's a medium power saw on the lower end of the older Stihl professional models. Over the years I have replaced just about everything on the saw but I still can't seem to part with it. I have cut some serious firewood with it and cleared a good many trees on our lot. My Father-in-law has the same saw and has had his for 17 years. What kind of saw do you run? Got any chainsaw stories? Nice ones ....we don't want to scare the new users too much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,832,798 times
For many years I rented a cabin with ONLY wood heat and depended on my chainsaw to keep me warm and the pipes from freezing. It was in Wyoming, many years ago. I had a Husky(think it was the Rancher model) to get the 4/5 chords I cut in the NF every fall(permit cost $5 per chord), hard to start but ran well. Back then all the Swedish and German saws were considered better than anything else. When I moved to more modern digs I sold it to a friend for $100 and he got a bunch of years out of it.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 03-26-2008 at 08:54 PM..

Old 03-26-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Back then all the Swedish and German saws were considered better than anything else. .
They still are!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:38 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,758,300 times
I started my sawing career with a Pioneer 028. Reliable saw with decent capability (18"), but it had this disconcerting refueling quirk.

The gas tank was part of the saw casting and would get quite warm while the saw was in use. When the saw ran out of fuel, you laid it on its side, unscrewed the filler cap, and added more fuel.......and then watched the gas actually reach the boiling point and bubble out the filler hole. It took a certain amount of faith to hot refuel that saw.

About 15 years ago, the Pioneer got tired, so I splurged on a Stihl 026. Heaven.

The 18-inch bar is large enough for most work, but small enough to be useable for limbing. Cut speed with a decent chain is excellent, and reliability is out of this world. After 300+ cords of wood, this saw still starts within 3 pulls regardless of temperature and will run all day without hestitation.

We also have a Stihl 064 for large work and Stihl pole pruner with a 10-inch chain for specialty work.

For those considering buying their first saw, keep in mind that you generally get what you pay for. For most general cutting, a saw with a 16 or 18 inch bar is perfect. Quality brands like Stihl or Husquvarna may cost a little more, but their reliability and performance will more than make up for the slightly higher initial cost. There's nothing worse than a saw that quits just after you've dropped that pine tree across the driveway.

CG's Chainsaw Rules:

1. Always ensure that all parts of your saw are properly adjusted and in good repair. Carry a small, soft brush with your kit so you can dust off your air filter when refueling; it'll add years to the life of your saw. After a day of use, take a few minutes with the compressor and blow out the engine cooling fins. Periodicly, check the edges of the bar for burrs and remove with a file.

2. Always wear appropriate safety gear including a cutter's helmet with eyescreen and ear defenders. While trimming small brush out of a fenceline, I became distracted for an instant. It was quite revealing to see just how quickly the chain ate through the toe of my boot into the steel safety cap.......CG's dancing career would have been even more limited if he'd been wearing rubber boots or those comfy sneakers.

3. Use a sharp chain; dull chains make the saw work harder, the job take longer, and add to operator fatigue and frustration.

4. Don't reach overhead to cut, and don't even think of using a ladder. If you can't reach a limb, either drop the whole tree or use the appropriate equipment like a pole pruner or a cherry picker.

5. Always have an escape route planned and cleared. Trees move scary quick when they fall.

6. Don't use a saw when you're tired or in a hurry.

7. If the little voice in your head mentions that your plan may have a flaw, listen to the little voice.

8. If your unsure about how to notch, undercut, etc, then get some advice from an experienced source.

9. Size your saw to the job. Don't try bucking 36-inch logs with your 14-inch Craftsman, and don't use that Stihl 064 with the 28-inch bar for limbing.

10. Saws are designed for cutting; they're equally effecient for wood and flesh. The most important piece of safety equipment is between your ears. Use it.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-26-2008 at 09:51 PM..

Old 03-26-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
I started my sawing career with a Pioneer 028. Reliable saw with decent capability (18"), but it had this disconcerting refueling quirk.

The gas tank was part of the saw casting and would get quite warm while the saw was in use. When the saw ran out of fuel, you laid it on its side, unscrewed the filler cap, and added more fuel.......and then watched the gas actually reach the boiling point and bubble out the filler hole. It took a certain amount of faith to hot refuel that saw.

OMG that's so funny you mentioned the boiling gas thing. My Stepfather had one of those saws. He loved it . It was a small saw but it cut pretty nice. I remember the boiling gasoline thing now that you mentioned it again. I used to push out the gas can as far as my arms would reach when refueling that saw! I though for sure that saw was going to explode someday. Come to think of it the fuel tank finally cracked on it.

Gotta love those 026's though!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:05 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,892,854 times
I like a Stihl, but have a Husky. Runs like a top and if the truth was to be told, I don't treat it very kindly. Next one will be either a Stihl or another Husky, biggest factor for me between those two are the dealer and price. If the two saws are about the same, and one is $100 less and has a better dealer, then it is a no-brainer. If one is $100 less but the other has a better dealer, I will tend to weigh the dealer very heavy.

Stihl or Husky either will serve you well.

I have a friend who swears by Poulan, I don't admit to many people I know him.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:32 AM

653 posts, read 1,921,239 times
I asked my kayak buddy for advice on buying chainsaw, he said get the biggest one I want to spend, I went with Husky Rancher 20" bar. It is to heavy for me, now i use Stihl 180 with dial to adjust chain, it is lighter good enough to cut logs for firewood.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:05 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,343,991 times
Talking Hi Ho Hi Ho... It's off to work we go...

Husqvarna is a nice choice ,if you have to clear the back-40.

When we bought our house back in 2003, it reminded me of the
"Grizzly Adams Show", except my husband wasn't supporting the beard or the bear.

We had a polaris before, and I use that for small jobs, but if you got alot of work ahead of you, you may find the Husqvarna is a great partner for job.

p.s. it's always a good idea to have some practice on a smaller saw and have someone around that also knows about chainsaws, kick backs, and learning about your tool. Keeping your saw sharp helps. I'm not ready for a Husqvarna. The Polaris is fine for me. But my husband and father are very familiar with the saws, and take great care using them. So they find a Husqvarna very helpful for the work they have to do.

Last edited by peachie_in_maine; 03-27-2008 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: I had to add a p.s for safety.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:14 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,717,731 times
I have an old Husqvarna 254. It's hard to start. They all were. Once it starts its good for all day. I now have a Husqvarna 340. It has a primer and starts with the first pull.

All the advice above is good. If you are new at using chain saws, do NOT buy a used one with no chain brake. A chain saw can kick back at great speed. I was an EMT for years and treated a man who sawed his collar bone in half. He missed his subclavian artery under his collar bone by a whisker. This was caused by an old saw with no chain brake.

The best advice above is not to use a chain saw when you are tired.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:13 AM

3,267 posts, read 5,642,956 times
Default Been sawing as long as I can remember almost

I now have a Husquvarna 357, a heavy professional grade saw. It can be a challenge at times to work with but when there is a big job to do on the farm here that thing will eat some wood. After Hurricane Rita here I had lots of 20" - 40" (diameter) trees to clean up. Was glad to have that saw at that time. My neighbors and I had to cut 6 miles out to a highway and beleive me all our saws got a work out.

For trash stuff I have one of those cheapie WallyWorld Poulans. I don't mind abusing it too much.

When I was a teen and in my 20's ( 60's-70's)I had a big McCulloch saw with a bow blade. I cut a lot of trees with that thing and when cutting up something on the ground that bow took a lot of bending out of the job. Alas they were so dangerous that I think they are outlawed now. I still have that old saw but it needs a total rebuild and I don't want to do it. (If I could get the old McCulloch parts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine