Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:55 AM

63 posts, read 268,335 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some suggestions on the best way to travel from Maine to Virginia with my cat. I would love to bring him with me when I move, but unless I can come up with a realistic way to travel with him I will need to find him a new home before I go.

I know some people out there will say it is wrong to give your cat any drug etc, but when I moved just an hour away a few hrs ago he was so stressed out. He meowed the entire hour and messed in his carrier and he was covered in it by the time he arrived at his new home. I believe not giving him some type of drug to relax him would be cruel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 09:03 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMBird View Post
I am looking for some suggestions on the best way to travel from Maine to Virginia with my cat. I would love to bring him with me when I move, but unless I can come up with a realistic way to travel with him I will need to find him a new home before I go.

I know some people out there will say it is wrong to give your cat any drug etc, but when I moved just an hour away a few hrs ago he was so stressed out. He meowed the entire hour and messed in his carrier and he was covered in it by the time he arrived at his new home. I believe not giving him some type of drug to relax him would be cruel.
That could be tough. Our cat won't go near a cat carrier,subsequently she has only been to the vet's office once to be fixed and if she so much as sees a cat carrier she bolts. I tried to take her to the vet's office a few years ago and put her in the truck but she literally bounced off the windows so hard I thought she'd break her own neck so I turned around and took her home. She's 14 and doesn't need to go anywhere. If I had to move I would find someone to leaver her with instead of trying to move her.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
My brother in law traveled from Las Vegas to Maine with his cat. He got tranquilizers from the veterinarian for her. Call your vet and see what they suggest.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:16 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quaaludes man!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:32 AM

222 posts, read 529,935 times
Default Take Your Cat

Hi-
We moved from Texas to Maine with three cats (one of them 19 years old!) and two dogs. One of our cats is very stressed when traveling so we got Meds from the vet. Keep the cat in a carrier and give the Meds every 8 hours and you will be in maine in no time WITH your furry friend. We just called to our vet and picked up the tranqullizers on the way out of town. Good luck!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:42 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,921 times
Call your vet for advice on a good safe drug and possibly withholding food starting the day before (to avoid diarrhea).

And don't let the cat see the carrier before you nab her to put her in it

Old 06-23-2008, 10:51 AM

101 posts, read 357,401 times
Default Traveling w/Pets

I drove all alone with my german shepherd and two cats when I moved from New York to North Carolina (which took over 16 hours). My cats hate each other, but they had to share the back portion of my Honda CRV the whole ride down here. I used my dog-barrier thing to keep them confined to the back area of my vehicle, and each had a nice, comfortable place to sleep. I also gave each of them one tranquilizer from the vet about 10 minutes before we left, it started them out in a very relaxed state and they were fine for the whole trip. I also provided them some food and water, but didn't open up the area they were in at all the whole trip so they didn't jump out and run.

I would NEVER consider getting rid of my pets because transporting them to a new house is not an easy thing to do! If you care for them, you will bring them with you no matter what.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:38 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
I'd go with the tranquilizers too. My step-mother puts a towel over the cat carrier to keep Patches from flipping out on their 90 minute trip to camp.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:08 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,697,311 times
We've done 2 long-distance moves with our 2 cats. Sure, it wasn't easy to deal with unhappy cats for hours on end in a cramped car. Once we arrived at our destinations, it was well worth it though! (Sedatives really do work wonders! )

Old 06-23-2008, 01:17 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Quaaludes man!
He, he he. That would be my sophic of choice.

I have an old Doonesbury cartoon on my office wall, where the characters are at a '70's theme party. One of 'em is dressed up as a Rorer 714.

Gotta love that Mandrake! Great diet aid. You can't even see the fork in front of you, let alone pick it up.

I'll bet the vet will give him a Xanax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: