Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:15 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

So many interesting things to do. This presents a problem. How to decide which one to go to.

On Sunday I am considering:

10:00 Growing Peaches in Maine;
and there is: Meeting Medical Supplies of Marijuana

11:00 Happy Pigs:
and there is: Panel on Rare Breeds of Chickens;
and also: Cholesterol–the Good News

12:00 Home-scale Small Grain Growing;
and there is: Symbiotic Relationships: Livestock & Vegetable Production;
and: Ease Stress & Replenish Your Energy with Herbs

14:00 Edible Landscaping

15:00 Fall-Winter Management of Bees

Does anyone else have this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 10:42 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
[quote=forest beekeeper;5304959]So many interesting things to do. This presents a problem. How to decide which one to go to.

I don't think I had any real conflicts, but if I do, I'll just see what is offered on another day and go down twice.

I am hoping to get Friday off, and also hoping that the weather will continue the predicted low temp that day and that MOST people go on the weekend... that will likely enable both K and me to attend, and to most efficiently make use of the day.

As for giving a workshop on dowsing... first of all I do not think it can be TAUGHT... you either can get out of the way of your modern brain-knowledge and just DO it, or you can't. In my family there is nothing to it... doesn't much matter what you use... or what you are looking for. We all can do it, as can the girls' dad. And of the many talents I would like to become known for, my ability as a "water witch" are not on the list...

Old 09-17-2008, 03:34 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,481 times
[quote=starwalker;5305351]
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

And of the many talents I would like to become known for, my ability as a "water witch" are not on the list...
Yeah, because finding water in Maine is real hard thing to do....

Old 09-17-2008, 04:14 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
So many interesting things to do. This presents a problem. How to decide which one to go to.
Does anyone else have this problem?
Gosh, forest, that's a NICE list! Wish I could get away to attend something like that! Looks like lots of really interesting info to get ahold of.

When we get up there, maybe you could keep us abreast of this MOFGA fair and what would be the best things to decide on? Maybe I could go to one, and DW to another? Yeah - then compare notes later!

Hope you enjoy!

Old 09-17-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Gosh, forest, that's a NICE list! Wish I could get away to attend something like that! Looks like lots of really interesting info to get ahold of.

When we get up there, maybe you could keep us abreast of this MOFGA fair and what would be the best things to decide on? Maybe I could go to one, and DW to another? Yeah - then compare notes later!

Hope you enjoy!
The more breasts the better.

I was rather hoping that anyone else from CD going to the Fair this year, could compare schedules and decide together which workshops to attend.

They do offer a wide variety of topics.

I only listed which ones have interested me.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:21 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,803 times
my girlfriend and I are headed over on Friday afternoon, en route to Acadia for the weekend.

I know it's not enough time to spend at the fair...it sounds like you could spend a whole day and still not see everything.

Looking forward to it!

Old 09-18-2008, 05:01 AM

Looks like my plans will change... I will be looking at trying to arrange schedules so I can get everything in I attending on Saturday and Sunday. I have to work Friday and (HOORAY!!!) The Tractor Man is coming on Fri to till up my lawn! (WOO HOO!!!) and I want to be here to pick rock as it will help me to learn the land and save $$ as he won't have to get down from the tractor to do it. The hardware store guys turned me on to a local fellow -- old Mainer, lives just up the road from me in East Corinth -- and I am sure I will learn a lot just in bits of conversation as he works. But for the fair, I am looking at:

10 AM Mowing Techniques for European Scythe (Sat and Sun)
12 noon Sharpening the European Scythe Blade (Sat and Sun)
1 PM Part 1. Medicinal Plants Used by Passamaquoddy (SAT)
2 PM Shamanic Healing–Changing the Way You Walk in the World (SAT)

And for those who were interested.. there IS A "Applying Basic Dowsing to Your Life" Saturday at noon...

I am also trying to fit in
10-10:30 or 2:30-3 Basics of Home Composting (Sat and Sun)
1 PM Recycling in Maine ( on account of having a BIG bag of #1 that is not drink containers...) (SAT)
1 PM Beyond the Tote Bag: Life as a Low Waste Family (SUN)
10 AM Grandmother Herbs Counsel the World (Sat and Sun)
2 PM Herb Walk – Common Local Herbs (Sat)
Want to spend some time hanging out with the spinners, too...

Old 09-19-2008, 05:20 PM

I attended:

1. building an 'Anaerobic Digester';
2. Lavender production;
3. plum trees;
4. Lacto-Fermenting foods.

I took a lot of notes, and I am sure that as I can go over it all in the next few weeks, I will have learned a great deal.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:33 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
"1. building an 'Anaerobic Digester'; "

Sounds like your typical septic tank. That's what happens down there.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I attended:

1. building an 'Anaerobic Digester';
2. Lavender production;
3. plum trees;
4. Lacto-Fermenting foods.

I took a lot of notes, and I am sure that as I can go over it all in the next few weeks, I will have learned a great deal.
I'd love to hear what you learned about lavender and plum trees... I have blossoms on the lavender that I barely kept going in NC, in a flower box, for the first time. They don't much like the heat, I guess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine