Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:06 AM

874 posts, read 1,855,958 times

Advertisements

Just an informal poll. My beloved godfather regales me with Fair food stories from the Bloomsburg Fair in PA. I told him we would be going to the Cumberland fair this week and he said "Oh ho ho... It may be fun but I bet you won't see any deep fried oreos" Am I going to be able to trump him? Any good, truly frightening foods you've seen or heard of at fairs lately? I haven't won yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 08:29 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,465,461 times
I for one have never seen a fried Oreo at a Maine fair, but I'd be willing to try one! DH will always eat a sausage sandwich. I'm more of a hot dog and french fry girl. Little homemade donuts, kettle korn, a bite of a dough boy, more greasy french fries and always at Fryburg a hot apple crisp!
That there is enough for one good size stomach ache.
If you find anything really interesting at Cumberland, let us all know!

And HAVE FUN!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:47 AM

19 posts, read 95,383 times
Default Fair Food

Hi there -- not sure if this helps - but I did find and eat a deep fried oreo in Maine! My mom was here visiting and we went to the Old Orchard Beach Pier. They have deep fried oreos, snickers and twinkies!! The oreo was really good!! It's not from the fair - but certainly awesome "fair food"!!!!

If you really want to trump him -- i even have pictures of the sign that I took....LOL.....

Old 09-21-2008, 08:58 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,766 times
Ohh sounds unusual.

Something I always liked at fairs was pizza. I don't know why.. but.. it was pizza for me.

I would like to also hear about more unusual fair foods.
Good Thread gen.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:56 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,892 times
While not really diferent but unique are the McMorgan breakfast sandwhich at CCF. Richard Morgan who uses organic flour he mills himself, eggs and sausage right off the farm. It's incredible.

Booths selling Indian pudding and fried mushrooms on a stick might be considered unusual.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:35 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times
id have to say my fav would be blooming onions and a hot sausage with the works.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:53 PM

12 posts, read 20,484 times
Do they have funnel cakes at the fairs in Maine? They're pretty big everywhere in the South. It's pretty much just fried dough in about a 6 inch circle covered in powderd sugar. Super sweet, it can almost put ya into a diabetic coma, but oh sooo good!

Old 09-21-2008, 03:01 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason72 View Post
Do they have funnel cakes at the fairs in Maine? They're pretty big everywhere in the South. It's pretty much just fried dough in about a 6 inch circle covered in powderd sugar. Super sweet, it can almost put ya into a diabetic coma, but oh sooo good!
OMG this is my favorite food. They are so easy to make I can't stand paying fair prices for them. So.... I make them once or twice a year for my kids. Last time was for breakfast the first day of school.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:43 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
We attended the state fair out here and what a difference in menus. You can get fried anything. The second time we went, we ate at the Indian village and I had green Chile Stew and Alan had a Navajo taco. I didn't get the usual greasy fries that I loved back in Maine, as didn't see any place selling them. I am sure they were there, but I probably would of been homesick for Fryeburg Fair if I'd had some.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:34 PM

124 posts, read 279,990 times
When we went to the Windsor Fair, we had a dough boy, a hugggge plate of fries, a very big pretzel and two super sticky cones of cotton candy. Yum yum yummy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine