Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 AM

103 posts, read 194,294 times

Advertisements

I must say I have read through pages and pages on this forum and have learned quite a bit. A real and true eye opener for me. Even though me and my family have been vacationing up there for 10 years I truly did not know the "real" Maine and the "feel" for what life is like living there.
I, like so many other posters, dream of escaping the rat race; the fast paced way of life mentality; the traffic at every turn, the heat and humidity etc. that comes with big city living.

I must say thank you to you all for an honest glimpse into the real way of life up there. Your honesty about the good, the bad and the ugly is refreshing, disturbing yet intriguing all in one.

I have a question: Does "it" ever happen? Does a person/family escape the city rat race to the wide open, even with the harshness that accompanies it and find inner peace amongst the beauty that the state has to offer? Has anyone actually experienced this? If so, can I hear YOUR story? I get the horror of the high taxes (doesn't phase me since we have the highest property and car insurance in the nation so I am not sure about high taxes up there - I think in comparison to what we experience here in NJ it's not that bad) I get the long winters and all that

- I just want to hear from those who DID find what they were looking for.

K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:06 AM

12 posts, read 23,720 times
Yes! We moved to Maine last August and we love it here. It has been a wonderful change for all of us and we don't regret a minute of it.

Granted, we had an easy winter, and we are renting a house so we don't have to deal with taxes and stuff yet (although we still own our old home in OH).

All of us are healthier, happier, and more peaceful.
Almost every morning I walk a mile at the local campground/beach. It's an incredibly beautiful way to start the day and puts me in a good state of mind.

Except for one old nasty lady, we have only run into kindness. We have two small children and the parents up here were very friendly and open and inviting. Without having that advantage though, I'd say it would have been a lot more difficult for us to find friends (but hey we're introverts).

I like the fresh air and water, I like being surrounded with beauty everyday, I like that my food comes from local farms. I like living in a place where people care about their surroundings. I like driving down to Portland and seeing people everywhere walking and biking.
I just...am happy finally.

This was absolutely the right move for us. We visited Maine twice before we moved, and all of us knew from the first visit that this is where we wanted to be.

I hope you find the place for you, too.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 AM

428 posts, read 553,789 times
We are moving in about two months from St Louis MO to a small town in Aroostook county. We'll keep you posted.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:28 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
One of our posters moved about 15 months ago from Houston to downeast Maine. She doesn't post here anymore, just on FB. I can tell you that she and her family are LOVING their life in Maine.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:46 PM

Oh shoot, would love to be able to reach her

Old 05-27-2010, 01:58 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
We moved to midcoast Maine from Raleigh, NC last year and we also absolutely love it here! Yes, we had a nicer house in NC, and cost of living was just a little bit cheaper. But I wouldn't trade life in Maine for anything. If you have any specific questions, please DM me. I'm happy to help in any way I can...

Old 05-27-2010, 03:13 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellym_40 View Post
Oh shoot, would love to be able to reach her
I will let her know and maybe she will pop over here and contact you via DM.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:22 PM

Thank you so much. Much appreciated.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:31 PM

701 posts, read 1,082,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annernan View Post
Yes! We moved to Maine last August and we love it here. It has been a wonderful change for all of us and we don't regret a minute of it.

Granted, we had an easy winter, and we are renting a house so we don't have to deal with taxes and stuff yet (although we still own our old home in OH).

All of us are healthier, happier, and more peaceful.
Almost every morning I walk a mile at the local campground/beach. It's an incredibly beautiful way to start the day and puts me in a good state of mind.

Except for one old nasty lady, we have only run into kindness. We have two small children and the parents up here were very friendly and open and inviting. Without having that advantage though, I'd say it would have been a lot more difficult for us to find friends (but hey we're introverts).

I like the fresh air and water, I like being surrounded with beauty everyday, I like that my food comes from local farms. I like living in a place where people care about their surroundings. I like driving down to Portland and seeing people everywhere walking and biking.
I just...am happy finally.

This was absolutely the right move for us. We visited Maine twice before we moved, and all of us knew from the first visit that this is where we wanted to be.

I hope you find the place for you, too.
This is so nice to hear!!!! It's nice to know families have had such a positive experience, thank you for taking the time to "check in"

Old 05-27-2010, 03:33 PM

701 posts, read 1,082,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
One of our posters moved about 15 months ago from Houston to downeast Maine. She doesn't post here anymore, just on FB. I can tell you that she and her family are LOVING their life in Maine.
It's great to hear that elcarim is loving Maine! I really enjoyed all of her posts She's missed on the forum...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine