Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:00 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,921,046 times

Advertisements

Anyone heard from Elcarim in the past couple of days? If I've got the right picture of her location, she may be in the path of the latest hurricane. If she hasn't posted in the last day or two, let's hope it's because she's busy moving to safe ground. Let us know how you're doing, El.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 05:23 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
She posted yesterday and was saying that they were waiting until today to make a decision about leaving. BUT her family down near Corpus is being evacuated Keep us in the loop El!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:32 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,426,048 times
Yep, it's getting closer with just about every report. It keeps inching east. The eye is showing to make landfall about 150 miles southeast of us at this morning's newscast. At this point, they say whether the eye hits us directly or not, we're still in the cone (400 mile range) of hurricane force winds of 90-100 mph, 10" of rain and lots of tornados. We're currently on the dirty side. There is also the liklihood of being without power for days. During Rita, we were without power in our neighborhood for 10 days and had trees down everywhere around us from the winds and tornados. This one will be worse than Rita from what they're expecting.

We're leaving to head north in the morning. We could stay and "hunker down" as they say, but I'd rather not with the kids. Brad is staying - has to stay with the emergency crew - but they're in a bunker type building that is supposed to be safe up to 100 mph winds. I'm still scared to leave him behind, but he has no choice.

So.....we're busy packing!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:40 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
I expect updates.... and hopefully the house will blow down! Sounds horrible, but you know what I mean

I don't know how people do it who live in those areas. I think about families and the disruption this causes, and about families who don't have enough money tucked away to evacuate! The cost of gas, of paying for another place to stay, and food.... not to mention having to replace all that's damaged when you return. Even if you are insured you have an initial outlay of that money for some items that need to be replaced immediately. That's crazy!!

Give me the snow anytime over all of that.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:53 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,426,048 times
Thanks for the positive thoughts, and please be praying for those staying to weather it out. I DO hope our house is gone when we get back, but maybe a tornado could just touch down on ours and no-one else's! It's pretty sad that I've already done the math to figure out how much damage it would take to call a total loss! We'd get more with a loss than we would a sale at this point.......Bad bad bad.......

Old 09-11-2008, 07:13 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,427,643 times
Stay safe!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:26 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,754,752 times
Hope you and your family stay safe during this frightening storm.

Sending good thoughts your way!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:19 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,339,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Thanks for the positive thoughts, and please be praying for those staying to weather it out. I DO hope our house is gone when we get back, but maybe a tornado could just touch down on ours and no-one else's! It's pretty sad that I've already done the math to figure out how much damage it would take to call a total loss! We'd get more with a loss than we would a sale at this point.......Bad bad bad.......
S0ooo if your house is "poof"... your coming to Maine??

p.s. Be safe, and thinking of those who have to stay behind.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:23 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,250,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I know exzactly how you feel. I'm in Florida trying to get back to N.H.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:34 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,129 times
Hang in there EL!! Time will work it all out. Maybe you can hang a "do not resuscitate” sign on the house. You know, in case of an accidental electrical fire caused by the storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine