Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 03:35 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
My parents didn't make enough money to buy the kind of clothes that my grandparents wanted for us kids at Easter or any other formal get together. So they would upgrade our suits every year. Here's me and one of my sisters.

Don't laugh....
I wasn't laughing... just looking at you sis and then you as I scrolled down -- before I got to the date at the bottom -- my mind said "1950s... " as that looked so much like pix my folks shot of me at that age. And lo and behold, I was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 05:52 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I wasn't laughing... just looking at you sis and then you as I scrolled down -- before I got to the date at the bottom -- my mind said "1950s... " as that looked so much like pix my folks shot of me at that age. And lo and behold, I was right.
A thanks to you and everyone else's kind comments about the 1950's photo's. I have hundreds of them on my computer now and when I get back to Maine in the old house, there are dozens of old photo books that I want to get copied. Old video rolls too. So I can make cool digital albums on disc for gifts to relatives. Also, my dad has a video tape of me at that age. Some I am quite embarrassed about really. Seems my dad would'nt stop rolling the camera when I was having a childish tantrum once. Got it all on tape. If we ever convert that one from tape and it accidently got on u-tube or something, I would want to be room temperture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman
the old grange hall in corinna ......is now a great little restaurant , i try to stop there when i can, nice little town!!!
My dad was the principal of the Eastland School in Corinna and was also a dixieland trumpet player on the weekends. He used to play at the old grange there and every other club or hall in the area too. I will make a point to stop there next time through. Thanks.

As far as fixing the economy, perhaps we need to look back a little like we're doing and appreciate that our grandparents and beyond lived in a simpler time when things like government, technology and the economy were less encumbering. Using some of the good from those times married to modern day politics and present day thinking would help. A bridge to the past may have some benefits. That's it. I'm out of ideas.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:29 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times
we need some one in offiace that cant be corrupted.becouse thats what happens they go in saying we wont do this we wont do that and the next thing you no they have been turnd around and screw it up worse than it was.and every election gets worse.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:12 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
we need a government cleansing, on the government link i noticed many special assistants,,,that make big bucks,,,i say fire the whole maine legislator, and replace them with hard working mainers,,,not political cronies, sucking offf the taxpayer nipple

Old 10-17-2008, 07:16 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
we need a government cleansing,
Instantly, I think of Ex-Lax! Not far off......

Old 10-17-2008, 08:18 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Sarah Palin can fix the economy....if she can't... she still looks good!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:27 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Still not sure how to use the multiple quotes function, but wanted to sned kudos out to forest and mainemathteacher.

Forest, I agree, businesses fold every day and we should have let the greed do it's talking in the form of a collapse. Sorry, the taxpayers get to foot the bill on this one. I personally emailed my congressional rep and senators against the bail out for all the good it did.

Mainemathteacher, I agree the gimme what I want and gimme it right now attitude has got to stop. Stuff or the lack of it is not the end of the world. I know one woman who is a clear example of this. She bought her 16 year olds brand new vehicle and he doesn't even have a job. She says she just works for her spending money, that it's not necessary for her and always has her nails and hair done up to the 9's(from a hoity toity salon) etc., etc.

I believe the current economic times will have most realizing what is truly important in life with a return to more basic and modest living. Instead of going into debt just to flaunt what you can't really even afford.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:51 AM

502 posts, read 1,736,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Forest, I agree, businesses fold every day and we should have let the greed do it's talking in the form of a collapse. Sorry, the taxpayers get to foot the bill on this one. I personally emailed my congressional rep and senators against the bail out for all the good it did.

Mainemathteacher, I agree the gimme what I want and gimme it right now attitude has got to stop. Stuff or the lack of it is not the end of the world. I know one woman who is a clear example of this. She bought her 16 year olds brand new vehicle and he doesn't even have a job. She says she just works for her spending money, that it's not necessary for her and always has her nails and hair done up to the 9's(from a hoity toity salon) etc., etc.

I believe the current economic times will have most realizing what is truly important in life with a return to more basic and modest living. Instead of going into debt just to flaunt what you can't really even afford.

With these ideas in mind I hope people realize which political party wants to increase spending and which wants to try to cut it. If the wrong person/people win in November, we could see the end of the USA as we know it.

As for economics, I don't really know squat, but this is what I would do.
No new spending on state/federal level. No borrowing to run government. The deficit will kill us.
2 year - no taxes on capital gains.
Move back to a more capitalist ideology. The line "Greed is good" from the movie Wallstreet ( think that was it ) is a good line. People are more successful when they have a desire, not when someone is taking care of them.
Get government out of business - stop forcing banks to make questionable loans.
Refinance - better to have someone living in a house paying a smaller payment than foreclosing.
Cut the tax rates - 35% is simply too much. Why should anyone have to pay more than a third of their income because they are successful?
Ideally - flat tax. No income tax. 10% sales tax on everything except food. Yes - even the poor should help pay for government services.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:58 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
The economy will fix itself when we can make things at a competitive price compared to India and China. This will mean a drastic reduction in our standard of living, but that's coming whether we like it or not. It's a global economy and dog eat dog. Get ready for it. Meanwhile, set up guilliotines for CEOs that make more than 10 times what the worker bee makes.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:00 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Sarah Palin can fix the economy....if she can't... she still looks good!
I knew that comment was coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine