Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:28 PM

4 posts, read 15,876 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the dynamics of the town, the best streets to live on, where most people are employed. My husband and I are are moving up from Pa. with our two small children and want to make sure Rockland will be the ideal place to settle down. We prefer in town, close to the water and the bustle of activities Main Street has to offer. If anyone can give me insight, that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 03:32 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,372 times
Hi Ambo Rainbow, Rockland, Rockport, Camden Area is great, but thats me. Rockland has a great blues deal in the summer and the lobster fest, and (for good or bad )some box stores. You are making a great choice, one I plan on doing here in about a year. So don't worry and the locals will post some good stuff for you, they are extreamly helpful and kind. Even some guy named Maineah

Old 10-27-2008, 04:42 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,610 times
My friend grew up there and we just went through the town again about a month ago looking at the houses he grew up in and ending up at his elderly dads for a visit. Very charming town. Used to be run down and pretty dumpy 20 years ago, but it's really had a nice facelift. Good luck!

Last edited by CoastalMaine; 10-27-2008 at 06:06 PM..

Old 10-28-2008, 07:18 AM

4 posts, read 15,876 times
Thanks everyone for your help! I was wondering if anyone knows why there are so many duplexes and apartment houses for sale and if there are any neighborhoods I should avoid. Does anyone know about Waldo Ave. or Old County Rd. Rockland is my #1 pick. I love the idea of a bustling downtown and tourists don't even bother me much. I live in Lancaster County, Pa. I'm used to it.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 AM

722 posts, read 1,511,372 times
[quote=Ambo Rainbow;5888192]Thanks everyone for your help! I was wondering if anyone knows why there are so many duplexes and apartment houses for sale and if there are any neighborhoods I should avoid. Does anyone know about Waldo Ave. or Old County Rd. Rockland is my #1 pick. I love the idea of a bustling downtown and tourists don't even bother me much. I live in Lancaster County, Pa. I'm used to it.

wish I knew more, I've just done the tourist type stuff passing through on my way to Camden. But get up there as soon as you can and talk to a real estate agent and if you can't do that, call one . Hey good luck

Last edited by tankratt; 10-28-2008 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: quote

Old 02-15-2009, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambo Rainbow View Post
I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the dynamics of the town, the best streets to live on, where most people are employed. My husband and I are are moving up from Pa. with our two small children and want to make sure Rockland will be the ideal place to settle down. We prefer in town, close to the water and the bustle of activities Main Street has to offer. If anyone can give me insight, that would be great!

I live on old county road with my family. We love the town, and our location is nice, though we would prefer to be closer to the down town area. The south end is ideal.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:31 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambo Rainbow View Post
Thanks everyone for your help! I was wondering if anyone knows why there are so many duplexes and apartment houses for sale and if there are any neighborhoods I should avoid. Does anyone know about Waldo Ave. or Old County Rd. Rockland is my #1 pick. I love the idea of a bustling downtown and tourists don't even bother me much. I live in Lancaster County, Pa. I'm used to it.
i like the town of rockland, was there last week,
if there are many multi-family's) for sale, then rents should be low

i know many folks bought apartment buildings a few years back as an investment,,,but today, is a different time, and perhaps they need whatever equity they can get...

rockland has an old main st, that gets very busy in the summer

took the road to owls head last week (thru rockland) thought it was a very nice area!!

Old 02-15-2009, 12:58 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,746 times
Old County Road is a nice area and is close to the town center really (bike riding distance) but has two potential issues. There are a lot of quarries so if you have kids you might dislike having the danger of kids falling into water-filled quarries 100 feet deep.

The other issue is quarry related too. The town dump is located close to the Thomaston-Rockland townline and can smell pretty darn bad more often then not. (Rotten egg smell). Granted other areas of Old County Road are not so bad.

The upper end of the road (past the golf course) has some good views of the bay and outer islands, and there are a lot of homes for sale on that road. I figure because of high taxes, but that is just a guess. To me it seems that very 4th home is for sale there, but that may not mean one darn thing.

As for employment...its bad. This is boatbuilding country and the boatyards are looking at 50% unemployment rates. Some are lower and some are higher, but its definately tough times here. For Maine,the crime rate is higher then most cities and it does have a real drug problem, mostly because the lobster industry can put 70K in a 18 year old sternman's pocket in 5 months time...what is a kid to do with that much money the rest of the year when he is not working...you get the idea.

I don't mean to sound negative at all here...just real. Visiting here on vacation gives one view, but the real Rockland has 2 different sides. Its catering to vacationers and then th residents. Its not bad, but not as glossy as it looks either.

(I have a summer home 8 miles from Rockland so I know its good and bad points well.)

Old 02-15-2009, 09:21 PM

263 posts, read 797,944 times
We stayed at The Berry Manor Inn last Summer and they have homemade pies everyday. The pie makers where in a "Throwdown with Bobby Flay" and they have a video on their website. Here's the link to the video, it took a few minutes for it to load on my computer but it was fun to watch!

http://www.berrymanorinn.com/video/pie_moms.mov

Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 AM

118 posts, read 223,886 times
Yet another art gallery is opening downtown. Is there such a thing as an art "cartel"? And another McDonalds is being constructor almost on the Rockland border. Do ya THINK it could maybe have been, at least, a Mr. Bagel? But no.

BrokenTap's overview is true. I would add that the rotten egg smell, is, in fact, hydrogen sulfide gas -- not good for living things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine