Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:59 PM

612 posts, read 1,215,907 times

Advertisements

I received an email yesterday from the Farmers Almanac:

Signs of Winter
[LEFT]Few things concern the gardener more than the first warning signs of winter. At The Old Farmer’s Almanac, we employ scientific disciplines to predict the weather but also believe in keeping a close eye on nature. The following are all considered traditional signs of a severe winter ahead: [/LEFT]
  • Geese fly south at a high altitude.
  • Oak trees bear many acorns.
  • Chipmunks are abundant.
  • Lakes and rivers freeze later than usual.
  • Onions grow thicker skins than usual.
  • Squirrels are gathering a large supply of nuts.
  • Woodpeckers appear early.
  • Lots of berries.
  • Corn husks are thicker and stronger.
[LEFT]What’s in store for your winter? For our Web site visitors, we have provided two months of free weather forecasts.

Here in Florida we see oak trees have many acorns, the squirrels are gathering a large supply of nuts and corn husks are thicker and stronger if this is any indication of the winter.[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 05:26 AM

180 posts, read 555,637 times
This will be my 1st winter here in Maine so maybe the Maine God saw fit to break me in easy? I've heard some horror stories but I say BRING IT ON!

Old 11-09-2008, 05:29 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamorra2 View Post
This will be my 1st winter here in Maine so maybe the Maine God saw fit to break me in easy? I've heard some horror stories but I say BRING IT ON!
You brave soul.. that's the spirit! I decided I will hire the neighbor kid to clear snow... I'll be too wussy my first year to help every time (Dh will get most of it).. I think I will toughen up/get in shape with time.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:37 AM

180 posts, read 555,637 times
Brave? Or Stupid? That remains to be seen LOL
I used to live near Lake Michigan so I have been through some bad snow storms but I might be kidding myself when I think I know what I'm getting in to. I heard stories about last year's storms. What was the worst one you got?

Old 11-09-2008, 07:09 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
Quote:
I used to live near Lake Michigan so I have been through some bad snow storms but I might be kidding myself when I think I know what I'm getting in to. I heard stories about last year's storms. What was the worst one you got?
I'm a Michigander too... but didn't grow up terribly close to the lake (Niles... SW corner of the state). I got here last March 1 from NC and the BIG snow had already mostly happened... we had to wait weeks for the maintenance guys for the landlord to be able to get a fridge into our rented trailer. All along the roads the mailboxes were sticking out from the middle of (well, maybe 2/3 of the way up from the ground) the snowbanks. That was in Milo, but it varied a lot just around the Bangor area, where we were wandering.

We moved here from NC and didn't even have a snow shovel. LOL Did what shoveling needed doing with a garden spade for the tail end of the season, as the accumulations late in the year were minimal for the car (Subaru...state car of Maine <g>) and we just kept a short people and doggie path clear. NOW I have a snow shovel! And if we get a lot, will have to find someone to plow the drive as we haven't found the machine we want yet (with my plans to "grow stuff" we are thinking small old tractor that can plow and till...)

Old 11-09-2008, 07:17 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
hehe! I'm going to video when Brad starts shoveling snow and cutting firewood! That should be some entertaining footage to send back to family!!

Old 11-09-2008, 07:57 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Chances are that the winters you've experienced around Lake Micigan are/were more brutal. Then again, it depends on what part of Maine you settle in. Last winter was the warmest winter I have experienced in ten years; it definitely was the snowiest, though.

In the mean time I am going to enjoy these nice warm 50 degree days; come next month they would have felt downright tropical.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:59 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
hehe! I'm going to video when Brad starts shoveling snow and cutting firewood! That should be some entertaining footage to send back to family!!
ohh your so evIl... hehe
I luv it!

That will make their Holidays a bit brighter with that kind of footage.
Don't forget to throw a "playful" snowball at him.
~he'll turn look at you while the camera is rollin' and you drop the camera start screamin' and running while he chases you with snow.

Yes that is a great holiday Idea.
Perfect for all stocken stuffers on you list.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:06 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
You can call it whatever you want, I'll take the 55 degrees. It sure seems nice not to hear the furnace coming on sucking up that $2.61 a gal. oil. Friday night we went out for a bite to eat and when we got back it was 61 degrees at about 7:30.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:58 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Quote:
Here in Ohio ... I think the worst one was in January of '78?.. I was a kid and the shoveler for my house.. was it maybe like 36" or so in less than 48 hours. But, oh the snow forts and snow ball fights were amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine