Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:08 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times

Advertisements

It's been so long since I used faster than 1 that it's probably better I not think about it. Out here where Fairpoint doesn't know we exist except to send us a bill and cable is a modern mystery , wireless is our only alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 08:19 PM

92 posts, read 226,399 times
I work for a large Wireless ISP (perhaps the largest in the state, not sure how big the others are). I'd like our product fine if I were in these areas that we serve. I may like it compared to Fairpoint DSL as well, seeing as they can't seem to provide a 'great' DSL experience matching say, Great Works.

Originally here in Bangor I had DirecPC One-way because cable and DSL weren't available here, though the High School is basically in my backyard. DirecPC gave me 80KB/s downloads (15 times dialup, roughly) and was a great thing to have. Later I had cable, then DSL. I'm a happy Great Works DSL customer because, for whatever reason, TW's 15/3 'business' service can't deliver better than 3-4 mbit during the day for 89.95 a month. I pay less than half that for my 5/1 DSL.

As an aside, I'm disappointed that the broadband stimulus funds and grants seem to go to cell carriers and Fairpoint. One doesn't deliver the same product (5GB/mo and max of ~1mbit), and the other stinks at serving their customers (from what I've seen first hand).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine