Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:51 AM

44 posts, read 78,475 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are planning our move up for the weekend of the 2nd! The trip went great except for getting lost in NY city yesterday on the way back to SC! We arrived in Presque Isle Sunday night late, stayed at the inn. The Inn is very nice, and they have wonderful food at the resturant there. Found the house in Fort Fairfield on Riverside. My son wants to move now, ! but the house is not ready yet and we have a million things to do!

I have a couple questions I hope someone can answer for me. Who is the internet provider for Fort Fairfield? I need to get internet service connected and cable. The landlord told me Maine public service will turn on the electric without a deposit. Is that correct? I have been looking on the internet for cable companies that provide internet but can only find Time Warner in Presque Isle. Are there others?

Thanks for your reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:27 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Time Warner is the only game in town for cable. They will also have the fastest internet connection as well there. There are a few wireless providers that cover Fort Fairfield I believe for internet. They are higher priced and a bit slower than Time Warner's connection. Maine Public generally does not need a security deposit.

Driving around Fort Fairfield area, if you see a big yellow box truck (old Penske truck) with black accents, give a wave and stay out of his way. Super nice guy, but can't drive to save his life .

Old 09-24-2009, 11:18 AM

85 posts, read 184,502 times
Bydand is correct about Maine Public and Time warner. I have wireless internet with Aroostook Technology and love it. Aroostook Internet through Netherland is also fairly good. Cost wise the Time Warner option for phone cable and internet is the best deal! And about the yellow truck...right again!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 12:48 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atardie View Post
And about the yellow truck...right again!!!
You should try riding with him in the winter.

Thanks for the name "Aroostook Technology" I couldn't remember the name to save my life. They are the ones that were MFX correct?

Old 09-25-2009, 03:56 PM

20 posts, read 43,800 times
Congratulations on your decision to move to Maine!

Old 09-25-2009, 06:24 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,016 times
welcome but we dont have the internet we dont even have a computer.
no im just kidding we have the internet TWC some use dish then theres fair point i think.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:51 PM

92 posts, read 226,303 times
I think Aroostook Internet and Pioneer Wireless both serve that area. Fairpoint DSL may also serve that area. Time Warner is the cable company in the area, I'm not sure how well they serve Fort Fairfield though.

DSL is distance restricted, so it pays to be 'near the 'downtown'' of any given area since you have to be within about 3 miles of the phone central office to get it.

If you can get cable, it's probably your best bet. (EDIT) Wireless is a 'next to last' recommendation if you cannot get DSL or cable.

I wouldn't recommend the satellite dish unless you have absolutely no other options. They really restrict the heck out of people using it and it's expensive compared to every other option.

Last edited by droobie; 09-26-2009 at 07:54 PM..

Old 09-26-2009, 07:42 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,204 times
I don't know much about internet access, but welcome nonetheless!

Old 09-26-2009, 07:44 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Why is wireless a last recommendation?

Old 09-26-2009, 07:50 PM

92 posts, read 226,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Why is wireless a last recommendation?
I should have adjusted my words. Satellite is a last recommendation, wireless is second to last. 1-3mbit for 45 a month (plus 100-200 install) vs 8-20mbit from the cable company for 49.95 (often with free installation) would lead me toward the cable company every time.

Wireless is a finite resource. It's extremely difficult/impossible to compete with the fixed-line solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine